Jeep VS Truck for a reliable, easy to work on 4X4 that can go anywhere.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Geeze, that thing was submerged for 5 hours in sea water... and a mechanic brought it back to life with no new parts.

In another episode James May drove one up onto a volcano in Iceland and scooped up a bit of lava. And I'm pretty sure it was the Hilux that the guys drove to the North Pole (across the ice and snow and everything). They don't have the towing or payload capabilities of Ford/Chevy/Ram, but they are seriously rugged trucks.

I've spent almost two months total in Latin America (Mexico, Nicaragua, and Bolivia). The further you get from the cities, the more you get to seeing the same two vehicles: Toyota Hilux and Toyota Land Cruiser. When we got up into the Andes for a driving tour, we saw literally nothing else for three days.

And it's not because they're inexpensive. It's simply because they can do it reliably.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    With Jeeps you can just throw 4x8 sheet goods right in the back..........................Oh, wait.

Jeeps are a great way to transport bales of hay..................Uh.

Jeeps are perfect for hunting because all the blood stays out of the cab.................Er.

With a Jeep you can drive your mower, dirtbikes, bicycles or ATV right into the back..................Huh.

Jeeps have cute little horns..............."Beep-Beep". :rockwoot:

That's what utility trailers are for! :)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My 04 TJ is fun. I took the back seat out, and the furkids all ride in the back when we go to the trails. It's great for around town and throwing groceries in the back. Easy to park. If I did long, daily highway driving, i might choose something different, it isn't a cruiser, by any means, but fits my lifestyle perfectly.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    That's why I have a truck and no Jeep....and no Harley....and no ATV....and no fishing boat....not that I'm keeping score or bitter or anything.

And yet look at all the toys SHE probably gets.

Washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, sink, cabinets, mixer, food processor, stove. The list GOES ON

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    And yet look at all the toys SHE probably gets.

Washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, sink, cabinets, mixer, food processor, stove. The list GOES ON

I know right! If yours is like mine, she gets madder than an old wet hen when I bring stuff like that as rationale. I don't understand....

:D

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Oh man I want this bad: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4 4dr SUV In Madison IN - Cruisin Auto Sales ... But I don't think I want it $30,000 bad for something north of 100,000 miles and something I'd probably re-spray because I hate yellow.

I can't decide. It'll be a good while before I can afford something new anyhow. In between jobs right now so buying a new vehicle would be unwise. I'll continue to look and read.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Oh man I want this bad: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4 4dr SUV In Madison IN - Cruisin Auto Sales ... But I don't think I want it $30,000 bad for something north of 100,000 miles and something I'd probably re-spray because I hate yellow.

I can't decide. It'll be a good while before I can afford something new anyhow. In between jobs right now so buying a new vehicle would be unwise. I'll continue to look and read.

Go do some reading over here: Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    I've owned a '93 YJ and an '04 TJ Rubicon. I'd have to say the '93 was more reliable. I bought the '04 new and had 4 warranty repairs, including the transmission, within the first year. Both had the 4.0 and that was a great engine. They were both a lot of fun. Then I had kids. I first got an '01 F-150 Supercrew, but they only made the beds 5.5'. I now have an '09 F-150 Supercrew with a 6.5' bed. I can fit two booster seats and a baby seat across the back bench. And, I have a camper shell so I can sleep in the back when I go hunting. I got the '09 stuck bad on in the spring of '14 while putting out new game cameras. I had to leave if for two weeks before I could go back and get it, but once it dried out it came out with a little help from a Polaris. I had the factory Goodyear Wranglers that were low on tread anyway. I've since replaced them with BFG AT KO-2's and never had a problem, but haven't been out in the wet like when I was stuck. Also, I installed a slick Rough Country winch that fits between the grill and radiator, under $600 with everything including shipping. I never got stuck in either Wrangler. The '93 had 30" Swampers and the '04 had the factory MTR's. I'd have to say the truck is better all around, especially with three kids, but I'm not doing the aggressive off roading just for off roading's sake like I was when I had the Jeeps. Now it's just getting to the hunting site and hauling the deer out. The truck is more practical and more comfortable. The '93 didn't have air conditioning, much less heated and cooled seats.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Why do the bodies and frames of Wranglers rust out. Are they not coated properly at the factory? When I go looking at used wranglers on Craigslist its nearly impossible to find one not ruted out and the prices are high.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Why do the bodies and frames of Wranglers rust out. Are they not coated properly at the factory? When I go looking at used wranglers on Craigslist its nearly impossible to find one not ruted out and the prices are high.

I think this may be more a function of how some people take care of them but i hadn't given it much thought.

I loved my Grand Cherokee. .. the steering is nice and tight, best I've driven

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think this may be more a function of how some people take care of them but i hadn't given it much thought.

I loved my Grand Cherokee. .. the steering is nice and tight, best I've driven

I gotta agree with this. The jeeps that I have seen that are rusted out, have not been taken care of. On my own jeep, which is 10 years old and 89,000 miles, I try to keep the frame spray painted for rust prevention.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

Most frames from the factory are only E-Coated, which is not a rust proof finish. With our salty roads here doesn't take long for them to start rusting and once they start it's hard to stop it. Keeping the underbody clean is a good start, but it should also be sprayed with an oil based undercoating. And don't forget to get inside the frame rails, most that rot, wrangler/ Toyota, do so from the inside out.

Best bet is to look out west for a nice one. Have it shipped here or fly out and drive it back. Then have it rust proofed by somebody who cares, not Ziebart.... It may cost a little more, but well worth the money when you factor in the cost of rust repair.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

This is how I feel about Chevy trucks. It seems like 1 out of every 4 Chevy trucks I see on the road have body panels crumbling away from rust.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I've had one XJ, one ZJ, and now have a WJ. I think the ZJ was my favorite. My WJ is on its third engine (4.0) at 200,000 miles. I've been in YJs and TJs, IMHO they are too small for cross country driving. The truck I miss most and would have liked to keep was an extended cab Dakota with the 318. Mileage wasn't great, but at well over 200k the only issues I had were no heat, and a rusted brake line.
    I'd like a TJ, but around here people think they are gold. There's now way I'm paying $6000 for a 12 year old vehicle. If I was in your shoes, I'd rent something for the drive to Texas, then figure out what I need and buy accordingly.

Top Bottom