• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGS Armament

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    North East, Indiana
    I've personally watched a guy throw his colt gold cup in the woods at one of his classes, and use my spare Glock 19 the rest of the weekend. Good 1911's cost a lot of coin and not 1300.00 in my experience. They are a great guns, but need to be built by great people to get the most out of them.

I will add that in January, at a class, I did get to see two 1911's make it through a 10hr. day that probably put 800-1000rds through them in the mud and they ran very well. The owners were shooters and the guns had over 2200.00 in them and looked worse than my Glock from how hard they had run them in their lives. I was stoked to see them though, when they work they are fun to see.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    No gun is 100%. I own both. G22 and S&w 1911sc are my two go to pistols. I have never had any trouble with either. To say a 1911 rarely does not malfunction is ridiculous. Sure if I am in combat with sand blowing or climbing through a jungle I would take my glock but, I feel more than confident having a 1911 as a EDC. Combat experience is not the end all be all!!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I've personally watched a guy throw his colt gold cup in the woods at one of his classes, and use my spare Glock 19 the rest of the weekend. Good 1911's cost a lot of coin and not 1300.00 in my experience. They are a great guns, but need to be built by great people to get the most out of them.

Agreed, the Wilson Combat CQB I had was one of the finest guns I've ever owned. In the end, I sold it to buy a boat and stuck with my current gun.

Prior to that I had an STI Spartan, which finally worked good enough for matches once I figured out what kind of mags it liked.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    What an arrogant douche. He wants to talk about manufacturing tolerances from 100 years ago on the 1911. WAKE UP, dude, my S&W was manufactured in 2007, using modern machining. My experiences, which are different from everyone else, my Beretta 92's have been the most reliable, but I still carry and trust my 1911's.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Atleast he he has enough common sense to acknowledge Mr. John M. Browning as the genius that he was.

Though I did find it kinda odd that he didnt say the same about Gaston Glock.

Hmm I wonder why?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I agree with Yaeger.

There's a lot of truth vs pop culture when dealing with guns. Like the "AKs never malfunction" crowds.

Almost any 1911 out of box will have something somewhere out of spec and cause it to be "picky" like so many owners like to parade. They don't seem to understand that their gun is faulty and needs repairs, they just call it picky. I think a decent amount of the blame can be put on magazine designs that sound great on paper but don't actually work or are "picky" about ammo selection.

How many times have you seen a 1911 running smoothly with a factory finish on the feed ramp? How often do you see guns requiring wilson combat mags before they'll run 99-100%? How many times do you see 1911 manuals mention a "required" break in period? And how long are you going to keep telling yourself that all of these things are normal, when very few other gun designs have any of these issues?

Also how many parts do you see for 1911s that turn them into practically every other gun design out there? Ala, feed ramped barrels to cure poorly spec'd frame feed ramps.

The sole reason I even put the effort into getting them to run right is the width of the grip, along with the manual of arms.

Last edited:

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    i watched another video on here a while back of him posting that glock is the best gun inthe world.. cry me a river. i do like them. they have there torture test. but the ruger and taurus also past. i can truly say my kimber has been flawless. but so has my sig. moral of the story. he probably is sponsored by them. ive seen a gen 4 g19. jam up 3 times in one night at idpa. and the sigma next to him shot fine

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My experiences, which are different from everyone else, my Beretta 92's have been the most reliable, but I still carry and trust my 1911's.

most reliable at what? range shooting? Let's not pretend those M9's come out of the holster for thousands of rounds while deployed.

I work where they train the USSOCOM Joint Armorer's Course and nobody cares for the Beretta.

Hell, even the Army Times is saying good riddance...

Good riddance to troubled M9 pistol - Army Community - Army Discussions - Army Times

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    i watched another video on here a while back of him posting that glock is the best gun inthe world.. cry me a river. i do like them. they have there torture test. but the ruger and taurus also past. i can truly say my kimber has been flawless. but so has my sig. moral of the story. he probably is sponsored by them. ive seen a gen 4 g19. jam up 3 times in one night at idpa. and the sigma next to him shot fine

The whole glock gen 4 ordeal was a stupid change on every level, IMO.

Take a totally proven design that doesn't need any changes at all, then change one of the most critical components.

That said, the gen 4's new recoil spring system is like a heavier spring in the gun. It isn't going to like 115gr walmart ammo until it has taken set, just like how the magazines will be stiff to load until the spring has had time to set.

Out of the box, I wouldn't bet my life to any gun using bunny fart ammo, to me that's just asking for problems.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I agree with what he said, in general. For a production line pistol I don't personally think Glock has an equal. Having said that I'll also say I went through a 3 day 800+ round Gunsite course with a 1911 without a malfunction while watching a Glock quit twice on one of the other participants. It wasn't the fault of the pistol but the guy doing his own reloading proving that ANYTHING mechanical can have reliability issues. What would I want to go to war with, probably a Glock 17. What do I personally shoot the best a 1911, but not by much.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This what I heard. I was killing Hajjis when you where floating around in your Momas belly. Blah blah blah. Glock is the best. Blah blah blah.
    How many 1911's that where issued to our GI's where hand fitted? As for manufactures recommended break in period. Kahr recommends a 200 round break in, my PM9 worked flawless out of the box, so what? As for tolerances. Parts that are machined have an acceptable tollerance. No matter if it's a Glock, 1911, Xd, etc. So, blah blah blah blah blah. By the way, I'm not a fan of Glocks or 1911's. So, I'm not defending either side.

Top Bottom