• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The local paper published some statistics about the county jail and I'll admit to being surprised that the "average" inmate was an 18-35 year old male that had been in jail 5 times previously. There must be a collection of people who just live at the jail, you have to figure that the average number reflects some who are there once and some who are there a lot more than 5 times. Are things better or worse in you're locality?:dunno:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As a LEO, you learn very quickly that you keep running into the same people over and over again.

Put one of those bars on your car which covers the center portion of the bumper and the grill so they don't mess up your grill when you run into them repetitively! :):

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Havent discharged any firearm in this state at anyone.....Havent been married since 2009......Get your story straight BEFORE you open that pie hole of yours! ;)
    Okay: Don't point your gun at acquaintances of your significant other, or you might end up in jail.the troubling thing about the above post and the other thread is that you keep saying "in this state"

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Okay: Don't point your gun at acquaintances of your significant other, or you might end up in jail.the troubling thing about the above post and the other thread is that you keep saying "in this state"
    It gots you wondering, doesnt it? ;) You are always welcome to second guess anything I do/post........But as always...I get the first guess....since it is my home/family/life. In case you're wondering....yes....indeed.....that is my nice way of telling you where to go. :rolleyes:

Sweet dreams cupcake.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't think that should be a surprise to anyone. Jail is typically for arrests waiting for trial and for sentences of less than one year. Serious crimes with longer sentences go to prisons. (Sometimes problem inmates will go to prison while waiting for trial, so there are exceptions)

Who's out doing most of your petty crimes, getting locked up for fighting, possession of dope, drunken stupidity, etc? Mostly young guys. Old guys are too tired to fight and don't want to miss 60 minutes. Middle aged guys have too much to lose and have jobs to keep.

Admit it men, most of us are vaguely surprised we survived our 20's. We weren't that smart, and we sure weren't as worldly and wise as we thought we were. We were invincible and our decision making reflected that. Oh, and the things we did in pursuit of skirts. The drinking, the fighting, the fast cars...the walking through the Taco Bell drive-through at 3 am explaining you don't have a car because you're drunk but still want some tacos...its a wonder more of us didn't get locked up, come to think of it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't think that should be a surprise to anyone. Jail is typically for arrests waiting for trial and for sentences of less than one year. Serious crimes with longer sentences go to prisons. (Sometimes problem inmates will go to prison while waiting for trial, so there are exceptions)

Who's out doing most of your petty crimes, getting locked up for fighting, possession of dope, drunken stupidity, etc? Mostly young guys. Old guys are too tired to fight and don't want to miss 60 minutes. Middle aged guys have too much to lose and have jobs to keep.

Admit it men, most of us are vaguely surprised we survived our 20's. We weren't that smart, and we sure weren't as worldly and wise as we thought we were. We were invincible and our decision making reflected that. Oh, and the things we did in pursuit of skirts. The drinking, the fighting, the fast cars...the walking through the Taco Bell drive-through at 3 am explaining you don't have a car because you're drunk but still want some tacos...its a wonder more of us didn't get locked up, come to think of it.

Yep.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Another surprising stat: in one generation, the number of prisoners has ballooned 8x in size.

172782_442366629134177_1255936213_o.jpg

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Yeah that seems about right.

I've learned a lot about criminals working with juvenile delinquents. Sure there are anomalous individuals, but I've noticed that crime is really a family experience. Most of my clients have immediate family members who have either done hard time or at least a few short sentences.

One of my coworkers in another county told me that there was a study done in her county at one point and that 80% of the criminals were related to about 20 families. I don't know the time frame of the study (either duration or when it was actually conducted) but I believe it was pretty recent.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Good business for the contract prisons.

This is especially good for business when we no longer expect the prisons to be self-supporting to the extent they can be. At one time, the DOC raised and prepared all the food and most of the furniture internally. Our older prisons were constructed by the inmates, right down to quarrying stone and making bricks. Politics, cronyism, and labor unions conspired to bring this to an end, and the present efforts at reversing the trend are focused more on the reallocation of money than the elimination of the need to spend it.

I will also point out that neither law enforcement nor custody of inmates should be in the hands of private enterprise. It is a public function which should be untouched by the profit motive.

Top Bottom