• ...and so much more!
  • Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Yup, to each their own. I love mine. Mine came from the first batches shipped from IWI at the end of March so I had never shot one. I like the compactness and balance and soft recoil. Makes it easy to keep on target. I've tried several optics. Started with a Primary Arms Aimpoint T-1 clone. I then tried a Primary Arms 3.x fixed scope (shown in the photo). I'm now experimenting with a Bushnell 1x4 first focal plane scope.

Tavor_Barn_Side_1_zps60f57841.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I can't ask for more from a rifle.

I doubt that will ever happen. The 308 is more of a long distance round. No reason to put it into a bullpup, which is intended for close-quarters combat situations. They already have .223/5.56, 9mm, and 5.45x39 options, so it is flexible.

Close quarters? Is that why it has an 18" barrel and shoots sub-moa?

Attachments

• TavorAcogFinal.jpg
      TavorAcogFinal.jpg
      186.2 KB · Views: 8
    • Target.jpg
      Target.jpg
      116.7 KB · Views: 8
    Last edited:

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Where did you get the rail that the forward grip is mounted on?

BullPupArmory.com TAVOR SAR Fore Grip Rail
    Looks like it is out of stock right now, but they usually get them back in pretty quickly. This one is the IWI factory version and is polymer. Attaches easily with one screw into factory handguard.

You can also get this one - in aluminum from Mako but you have to drill some holes, etc.
    Tavor Picatinny Rail - UPT

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Over 1K for a (future model) 9mm carbine that's semi auto only and fairly heavy? Pass.

They didn't make a MicroGalil for us, even in a neutered pistol form. They didn't think of the Magal which would have been awesome (kind of a .30 M1 Carbine powered AK/Galil, uses M1 carbine mags, kind of a stop gap between the Galil and Uzi when they found copious stocks of M1 carbine ammo from their liberation wars). No, just the Tavor. And yes, I've shot a Tavor. It's "okay". For 1.4K, I can buy a lot of AR for that. I felt the same way about the FN FS2000, God, I wanted it, had to have it. Until I shot one. Practically jumped out of my skin with disappointment.

Want to give us a mediocre, but cool looking rifle? How about a semi auto SA-80? An Aug that doesn't cost over 1K (even that Microtech nightmare was a bore and issue laden).

Then again, I'm kinda plain jane vanilla in gun likes...

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not a fan of ar15s. Doesn't mean they're bad rifles, just that to me the ergonomics suck and I have no desire to own one. I'd take an ak over an ar.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I can't ask for more from a rifle.

Have you done this more than once? And with more than a three shot group? I can show you a picture of a three shot group from a m44 mosin that was under an inch at 200 yards but I don't think he could repeat it. I haven't seen any reports on tavors being sub moa guns, most have been 1.5-2 with the occasional 1moa. Not saying its not possible, I'm just a little skeptical.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Yes. It was designed by the Israelis for use in an urban environment. That is why it is a bullpup design. It has the capability to shoot longer distances, but isn't intended to be a sniper rifle.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Have you done this more than once? And with more than a three shot group? I can show you a picture of a three shot group from a m44 mosin that was under an inch at 200 yards but I don't think he could repeat it. I haven't seen any reports on tavors being sub moa guns, most have been 1.5-2 with the occasional 1moa. Not saying its not possible, I'm just a little skeptical.

Every time I take it to the range, it will repeat these groups.

The only challenge involved is getting a good trigger press every single shot when you're pulling against 12 pounds. Likely why you see so many people getting poor groups out of these rifles, they're blaming the rifle instead of realizing it's their fault. Just wait till the trigger systems come out, people will start saying it affected barrel harmonics or something ridiculous to avoid blaming themselves. I wouldn't rule out the added mass of the surefire brake affecting accuracy in some way either. But I didn't have decent glass on it when I had the factory A2 birdcage on there, of course accuracy improved with better glass.

I have yet to see a 5.56 rifle that won't shoot to 1MOA or less these days. I don't consider it amazing or exceptional, it's just what I've come to expect.

Yes. It was designed by the Israelis for use in an urban environment. That is why it is a bullpup design. It has the capability to shoot longer distances, but isn't intended to be a sniper rifle.

The Tavor was CHANGED for urban environments after being fielded for awhile. That's why the 15" barrel came along, then the X95 with its 13" barrel. They didn't start out that way.

My 18" tavor is no smaller than my 16" AR15 with the stock 2 positions out.

Size isn't really the big driving factor here. It's about ergonomics, stability, and balance.

I never stated it was a sniper rifle. But neither is an accurized rifle length AR15.

If you want a little CQB rifle, build an SBR on a 10" barrel. It'll be vastly smaller and probably cost less at the end of the day.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I never stated it was a sniper rifle.

I realize that. However, you responded to my post that a combination of the Tavor and .308 doesn't make a lot of sense as the .308 is a more long-range round. It could be done, but I don't think it would be a great option.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    BullPupArmory.com TAVOR SAR Fore Grip Rail
    Looks like it is out of stock right now, but they usually get them back in pretty quickly. This one is the IWI factory version and is polymer. Attaches easily with one screw into factory handguard.

You can also get this one - in aluminum from Mako but you have to drill some holes, etc.
    Tavor Picatinny Rail - UPT

Thanks for the info. Just picked up an IDF model a couple of weeks ago! Can't wait to get it out!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This is absolutely, positively my next purchase. Going with the flat top 16 version. Gonna be hard to decide between the aimpoint and eotech though. Make no mistake, this is a cqc rifle and nothing more. Pure urban armament. Can't wait to get mine.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    This is absolutely, positively my next purchase. Going with the flat top 16 version. Gonna be hard to decide between the aimpoint and eotech though. Make no mistake, this is a cqc rifle and nothing more. Pure urban armament. Can't wait to get mine.

Go with the aimpoint. And you can stretch the tavor out way past close quarters distances. I make off hand 200 yard shots all day long with mine. Hopefully be stretching it out to 400+ here soon. Definitely more capable than you give it credit for.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Go with the aimpoint. And you can stretch the tavor out way past close quarters distances. I make off hand 200 yard shots all day long with mine. Hopefully be stretching it out to 400+ here soon. Definitely more capable than you give it credit for.

Seems you finally saw in the rifle what I did.

My opinion of the rifle still hasn't changed. This thing is amazing for stretching out the range.

It's really just a matter of the balance and how well you can lock the rifle in with your left forearm. But hey if people want to think a compact package is best for close ranges, then I guess they're free to have their opinion. They're just missing out on the greatest thing the rifle has to offer.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    I've gotten to hold one but never shot it. Wonder how all the plastic holds up to a few magazines of full auto?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The rhino was not impressed by bullpups in the past, for a variety of reasons.

Then rhino got to handle and shoot a Tavor.

The rhino wants a Tavor.

rhino out!

Top Bottom