• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I walked 6 miles yesterday and was not carrying, but I had the thought as I was heading home in the heat that a leather holster would have been killing me with the heat. Or it would have been really sweaty I would think, made me reconsider getting a kydex IWB for my M&P.

For the comfort of kydex, I have seen several people that add "moleskin" stuff from Dr Scholl's to the back of the holster where needed to make it softer where needed. Seemed like it would work, too bad it does not come in black for more "tactical" applications. :D

I am considering a holster from

Custom Carry Concepts

The Malabar Front

Custom carry concepts has some great reviews and has just expanded the gun list he can make for, and Raven I will look for at the 1500 as they have been there many times I hear. Then of course there is Comp-Tac, but I like to be different. I looked at threat solutions, but do not like that there is no way to replace clips when they break, that was the only complaint I read but there were several with that problem.

Last edited:

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I walked 6 miles yesterday and was not carrying, but I had the thought as I was heading home in the heat that a leather holster would have been killing me with the heat. Or it would have been really sweaty I would think, made me reconsider getting a kydex IWB for my M&P.

For the comfort of kydex, I have seen several people that add "moleskin" stuff from Dr Scholl's to the back of the holster where needed to make it softer where needed. Seemed like it would work, too bad it does not come in black for more "tactical" applications. :D

I am considering a holster from

Custom Carry Concepts

The Malabar Front

Custom carry concepts has some great reviews and has just expanded the gun list he can make for, and Raven I will look for at the 1500 as they have been there many times I hear. Then of course there is Comp-Tac, but I like to be different. I looked at threat solutions, but do not like that there is no way to replace clips when they break, that was the only complaint I read but there were several with that problem.

Under the warranty section he address the clips:

The 2 places Kydex holsters break are the belt clips and the inside panel on the body of the holster. Most commonly the belt clip gives out due to repeated flexing or getting snagged on something.
    If your holster's belt clip breaks please contact me (e-mail or phone) for details on getting your holster back up and running as soon as possible. Most commonly I'll just have you send $10 for shipping and handling and the holster and it will be repaired asap. The repair is to modify the holster for replaceable bolt on clips. Easily done if your have the right tools. With your retrofitted holster I will also enclose a spare set of clips for the next time.
    If your holster has cracked on the body it cannot be repaired. Often, though, the crack only goes to a certain point and stops. However, if it doesn't stop, the holster will have to be replaced before it fails and becomes dangerous. As a customer service, if you send the cracked holster to me I will sell you a new holster, made to your specs., for the reduced price of $30.
    If you don't want to ship your holster to me for replaceable belt clips, you can do the repair yourself - Just contact me and the pre-drilled, cut, and polished clips and bolts will be shipped to you. Again there will be a $10 shipping and handling charge.
    To do it yourself, you would just use a set of straight cut tin snips to cut off the cracked clip. Then use the dremel to round off the sharp edges on the holster body (I use a belt sander but a sanding drum on your dremel will work fine). Then use a felt polishing wheel and the dremel to smooth out / polish the edges of the holster. This will make sure the holster is still comfortable and feels the same.

At this point use some vice grips to clamp the replaceable clip in place so both screws will be attached to the holster body when assembled, and the top of the clip loop is flush to 1/4" above the top edge of the holster body. You can actually slightly tweak the holster's cant here if the gun angle is a little off for your tastes, but be sure, because it's a permanent modification. Then just drill (7/32" drill bit) through the holster's body where the pre-drilled holes are in the replacement clip. Be sure the clip is clamped tight because things can torque when the drill bit bites in (I use 2 vice grips to be sure). Once that's all done use the screws I'll send to attach the clip to the holster body . Make sure you also use loctite on the screw when assembling.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Maybe he could just make you one modified before he ever sent it to you? I'd think that would be easier than having to send it back, just make them that way to start with?

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Maybe he could just make you one modified before he ever sent it to you? I'd think that would be easier than having to send it back, just make them that way to start with?

I guess you can always email or call him to ask if he could. I like the fact it's one piece because its less cumbersome and thinner and would only get the repair when it finally breaks. However I don't wear it on a daily basis so "your mileage may vary" :dunno:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Thanks for the info, Brown Dog. My Raven Concealment tuckable doesn't have the sweatguard and that is the only downside to an otherwise great IWB hoslter. Raven will make hoslters with the sweat guard but you have to request it. I took his floor sample during a past Indy 1500 so I didn't get one. These Kydex IWB holsters are really much more comfortabel than they look. I've tried leather (Dom Hume), soft Suade (Bianchi) and Kydex (Raven). The Kydex is by far the best for all day wear. The Threat Solutions product looks to have some features that my Raven doesn't. I think I will try one next time.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Here's a good one for you. I need a good IWB that can facilitate a 5" 1911. I'm about 5'6" and 240 lbs. I would be sitting all day in a chair and I would need to have something that facilitates exceptional concealment as some places I "frequent" doesn't allot for carry.

Knowing this... any suggestions?

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    SilentWarrior1,
    I still recommend the Raven Concealment with IWB belt loop attachment, especially the tuckable style. I use this for a Browning High Power, similar to your 1911, and find it the most comfortable. I set mine for the lowest ride height possible and it works fine. I am not thin either, 5'-11" and 250 lb. It sounds like the Custom Carry Concepts item recommended by BrownDog is similar. Be sure to get the extension that covers the safety lever on the side next to your body.

Top Bottom