• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Did anyone hear Dershowitz's arguments yesterday? Now, I'm not a legal scholar, but he appeared to use the defense that if a president DID reach out to a foreign nation to get information on a political rival to help his presidential campaign, then that was perfectly acceptable and "in the National Interest." Partisanship aside, I can't agree with that, for anyone. I can't possibly believe the Founders would have been ok with that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Did anyone hear Dershowitz's arguments yesterday? Now, I'm not a legal scholar, but he appeared to use the defense that if a president DID reach out to a foreign nation to get information on a political rival to help his presidential campaign, then that was perfectly acceptable and "in the National Interest." Partisanship aside, I can't agree with that, for anyone. I can't possibly believe the Founders would have been ok with that.
    While I don’t agree with it, it seems to be the norm. If that’s what happened here, it only got caught because some partisans were looking for some reason they could plausibly impeach the president.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Never one to know what is in Pelosi's mind, but perhaps she went ahead with the impeachment knowing Trump would clear the Senate. But, it would serve as a warning to him that there are limitations on executive power.

It's always been my view that you don't reason with a bully. You beat the crap out of him.
    I don’t think that’s the reasoning. They’re behaving like this is existential. A look at any of the democratic debates and it’s clear that they should think it’s existential. There aren’t any Democratic candidates in a position to win the nomination that are strong candidates other than the closet communist. I kinda suspect more that Pelosi did this as a Democrat political ad, and that there’s a longshot that it could work.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I believe Dershowitz was making the case that it could also be in the national interest to call for an inquiry if the candidate was compromised by a potential conflict.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    but I wonder if they themselves actually believe their own words or if they are just playing their part.

"IF" they are just playing their part (and I feel they are)...then this is an illegal coup. That would mean they are using our tax dollars to illegally alter election results and also interfere in a future election. That would mean they are lying, manipulating with malicious attempt to change the direction of this country illegally.

Treason.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I can't seem to understand how running for office automatically makes one immune from investigation. Guess I'll have to remember that in the future - if I have committed a felony, I can just make myself a candidate, and anyone who tries to investigate my crimes must be corrupt and trying to destroy our "democracy."

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    I can't seem to understand how running for office automatically makes one immune from investigation. Guess I'll have to remember that in the future - if I have committed a felony, I can just make myself a Democrat Party candidate, and anyone who tries to investigate my crimes must be corrupt and trying to destroy our "democracy."

Fixy

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "IF" they are just playing their part (and I feel they are)...then this is an illegal coup. That would mean they are using our tax dollars to illegally alter election results and also interfere in a future election. That would mean they are lying, manipulating with malicious attempt to change the direction of this country illegally.

Treason.

Versus a legal one? Lol
    Anyways, I have not seen anything of questionable legality concerning the impeachment process in the House and Senate. If the president is removed (though he won't be), he will be removed so legally. Humor me since you have think that there's criminal action at play here. If the Senate did vote to remove the president, do you think that the president has the right to ignore the order and stay in office? Would you support such an act?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I can't seem to understand how running for office automatically makes one immune from investigation. Guess I'll have to remember that in the future - if I have committed a felony, I can just make myself a candidate, and anyone who tries to investigate my crimes must be corrupt and trying to destroy our "democracy."

As a fringe benefit you could make some currently popular noises to get donations and siphon off the funds and get richer while avoiding prosecution. Win-win.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

You mean like the president before Trump reaching out to MI6 and Australia and Ukraine? Weren't those foreign nations?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You mean like the president before Trump reaching out to MI6 and Australia and Ukraine? Weren't those foreign nations?

I am ignorant of those instances, and would appreciate a link or information pertaining to.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rand Paul submits a question

Long pause from the chief justice.

John Roberts: "The presiding officer declines to read the question as submitted."

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rand has tweeted what his question was about, probably expected it to be turned down

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1222947515387072514

My question today is about whether or not individuals who were holdovers from the Obama National Security Council and Democrat partisans conspired with Schiff staffers to plot impeaching the President before there were formal House impeachment proceedings.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am ignorant of those instances, and would appreciate a link or information pertaining to.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...t_that_resulted_in_mueller_investigation.html
    Clapper: Obama Ordered The Intelligence Assessment That Resulted In Mueller Investigation

JAMES CLAPPER: Yes, well, this is -- yes, as we've come to know the President, he is not a stalwart for a consistency or coherence. So it's very hard to explain that. One point I'd like to make, Anderson, that I don't think has come up very much before, and I'm alluding now to the President's criticism of President Obama for all that he did or didn't do before he left office with respect to the Russian meddling. If it weren't for President Obama, we might not have done the intelligence community assessment that we did that set off a whole sequence of events which are still unfolding today, notably, special counsel Mueller's investigation.

President Obama is responsible for that, and it was he who tasked us to do that intelligence community assessment in the first place. I think it's an important point when it comes to critiquing President Obama.

Awaiting feigned naiveté claiming that even a POS like Clapper would have had the stones to go to FISC to seek intercept authority without the president's express approval in 3 ... 2 ... 1

Top Bottom