• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've seen a couple of threads regarding county fairs, so thought I'd post up a quick re-hash....

Your local fair may or may not have policies regarding firearms. Even if they DO, they may not be enforceable (read: illegal). It is best to check ahead of time to see who actually owns the fairgrounds, and who is running the fair.

Good resource for ownership is BEACON: Beacon Home. Just find your state/county, and enter the address of the fairgrounds.

As for who runs the thing, that may take some digging. Hit the fair website, then maybe your county's website.

If your county owns the property (or any other local government unit, for that matter), and they also run the fair (example: a County Fair Board), then they MAY NOT have a policy or rule about firearms AT ALL. How you deal with those that do is up to you.

If your county leases the property to another, private group to run the fair, then they can set whatever policies you want. This becomes the same as any other local business. Same when a local group actually owns the property (private property).

For instance:
    Hendricks County owns their fairgrounds (county property). The Fair is run by a county board, and is financed in part by the county. So, it is illegal for them to have any policy on firearms. I don't believe they do, either (yay for me!).

Howard County's fair is held on PRIVATE property, owned by the local Lions Club. The Lions also run the fair. So, all the usual private property rules apply.

I believe it is Elkhart County that owns their fairgounds, but leases it to a non-profit to manage, including the fair. Private property rules would apply (no idea of their firearms policy).

I any case, enjoy your county fair!

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Let us not also forget that come time for the IN State Fair, that it is against the IN Administrative Code to carry during the state fair. You're supposed to leave it in your vehicle. If caught, they'll confiscate your gun and kick you out.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Let us not also forget that come time for the IN State Fair, that it is against the IN Administrative Code to carry during the state fair. You're supposed to leave it in your vehicle. If caught, they'll confiscate your gun and kick you out.
    Yep. Which means parking either in the south lot(s) or infield. NOT parking at the Indiana School for the Deaf, on the north side of the fairgrounds (that's a felony, folks).

Not like car break-ins are a rare event in these parking lots. :rolleyes:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Just searched Bartholomew County. It appears that it is county owned and run by a fair board. They have a no firearms policy as well....which I am guessing they can't have if I'm reading this right.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Just searched Bartholomew County. It appears that it is county owned and run by a fair board. They have a no firearms policy as well....which I am guessing they can't have if I'm reading this right.

The question that I can't seem to find answered is if the fair board is a local gov't entity, or if it's a private corporation. Their History page speaks of a corporation that's leased the land from the county. I'm not certain how this all plays out. If the fair board is considered to be part of the county gov't, then yes, the no firearms policy is illegal. If it's somehow separate, then the policy stands.

Can someone with a little more google-fu skills help clarify this?

Edit: When in doubt, follow the money. They're filing as a 501(c)(3) entity. They can't be a private corporation with this status. Of course this makes it clear as mud.

I'm beginning to wonder about their policy and it's legality. Kirk? Guy?

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

I took the time to look up Bartholomew County. it appears that the fairgrounds and county fair is leased by and operated by a non-profit organization: Bartholomew County 4-H Fair, Inc..The property is leased to this organization by the County Commissioners, who actually own the property. So, while the COUNTY can't have a policy, this private, non-profit certainly may.

See:
    History |

You can also look up some basic info on this non-profit at: Indiana Nonprofit (A Lookup Directory) (search for "BARTHOLOMEW COUNTY 4-H FAIR INC")

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Elkhart county Fair- No Weapons(firearms) signs are posted, and it is stated in the rule packet. I think it might be listed on their flier of things going on that week.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I took the time to look up Bartholomew County. it appears that the fairgrounds and county fair is leased by and operated by a non-profit organization: Bartholomew County 4-H Fair, Inc..The property is leased to this organization by the County Commissioners, who actually own the property. So, while the COUNTY can't have a policy, this private, non-profit certainly may.

See:
    History |

You can also look up some basic info on this non-profit at: Indiana Nonprofit (A Lookup Directory) (search for "BARTHOLOMEW COUNTY 4-H FAIR INC")

Thanks...I didn't know how to take it much farther and didn't have time...but that doesn't surprise me. There was a girl killed there by a run away mud drag car thing<tech term>...so that shields the cty from the lawsuit somewhat.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I can neither confirm nor deny that I carried concealed while walking around the Bartholomew County fairgrounds.

I can confirm that I did not speak with any LEOs while walking around the fair, not even to stop and say "Hi" to the troopers at the ISP booth.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can neither confirm nor deny that I carried concealed while walking around the Bartholomew County fairgrounds.

I can confirm that I did not speak with any LEOs while walking around the fair, not even to stop and say "Hi" to the troopers at the ISP booth.

No guns at the Bartholomew County Fair? Who knew. But I can confirm the where abouts of my firearm while at the fair. I also talked to not only the State Police but also the County Deputies. Even took them a big helping of chili cheese fries at the end of the night before we closed the food booth down.

Wine Country

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    So is carry at the Delaware County Fair Grounds alright then? That beacon site says it's owned by the county commissioners.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I cant confirm or deny that carry during the Marion county state fair is a good idea and I have headed that idea.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Just pulled this for the Elkhart County Fair website for those going out this week:
    "We are a privately operated facility and the following are NOT permitted on the Fairgrounds: Pets - Weapons - Alcohol - Skateboards - Roller Blades - Metal Detectors - Soliciting"

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just pulled this for the Elkhart County Fair website for those going out this week:
    "We are a privately operated facility and the following are NOT permitted on the Fairgrounds: Pets - Weapons - Alcohol - Skateboards - Roller Blades - Metal Detectors - Soliciting"

Good thing I can't read! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom