• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Israel has not said they have done this....

So it was something to do with the batteries.
    Isn't that stuff very unstable?
    From the article:

Mossad agents reportedly placed Pentaerythritol tetranitrate (PETN), a highly explosive material, inside the batteries of the pagers, sources told Sky News Arabia, according to a translation from the Times of Israel.

It says Mossad somehow intercepted the shipment of pagers and worked their magic.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I read that but that explosive is unstable isn't it? Kinda like nitroglycerin?

"As explosives go, PETN is reasonably stable. The substance is usually detonated by a secondary device that produces heat or a shockwave. PETN is difficult to detonate with a naked flame, as demonstrated by the shoe bomber Richard Reid, who tried to bring down an American Airlines flight in 2001 with PETN concealed in one of his boots. More often, a blasting cap is used to set it off."

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

"As explosives go, PETN is reasonably stable. The substance is usually detonated by a secondary device that produces heat or a shockwave. PETN is difficult to detonate with a naked flame, as demonstrated by the shoe bomber Richard Reid, who tried to bring down an American Airlines flight in 2001 with PETN concealed in one of his boots. More often, a blasting cap is used to set it off."
    I was thinking it was to unstable to be put in a pager, heat, bouncing around, being dropped etc.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I read that but that explosive is unstable isn't it? Kinda like nitroglycerin?

PETN is very stable and has a high melting and decomposition tempature. I “HIGHLY” doubt the overheated battery set it off. If I was to swag it, they installed a blasting cap that had extra room for a small PETN charge added to it….like an extra powerful cap.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    So by itself it's unstable?

Not unstable at all. It’s very stable, doesn’t react with most metals, non-hydroscopic and takes a lot to get it to detonate.

PETN would be a great choice as it is naturally a powder and can be “pressed” into a solid…kinda like how acetylsalicylic acid (a powder) is pressed into a tablet (solid). They could use this to their advantage to shape it to fill any voids to get the most “bang for their buck” (pun intended).

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Not unstable at all. It’s very stable, doesn’t react with most metals, non-hydroscopic and takes a lot to get it to detonate.

PETN would be a great choice as it is naturally a powder and can be “pressed” into a solid…kinda like how acetylsalicylic acid (a powder) is pressed into a tablet (solid). They could use this to their advantage to shape it to fill any voids to get the most “bang for their buck” (pun intended).
    Exactly why you are the guy to ask.
    Thanks for providing information.
    It amazes me how they can pack enough explosive in pagers to do that much damage.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County

Just as a FYI, Richard Reid’s problem was the time fuse he used had a black power core. Being in his shoes, on his feet, interrogated by French police, for a long time, allowed the black powder to absorb moisture. Add that most time fuse is not easy to light (not like firework fuse) unless you fish-scale it with a knife to expose the core. The repeated attempts to light damp black powder (being a few months after 9/11), gave flight attendants and passengers time to pounce on him before he could light the fuse.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Exactly why you are the guy to ask.
    Thanks for providing information.
    It amazes me how they can pack enough explosive in pagers to do that much damage.

Not hard at all…the electronics and programming would be more of a challenge than making the initiator with an extra surprise. If you see my name, that’s what I do, military EOD. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, retirement check and still have 10 fingers.

Top Bottom