• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For those better versed in electronics, how could this possibly be done? It's not like the pagers all have Semtex in them, or do terrorists use them as remote grenades.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    For those better versed in electronics, how could this possibly be done? It's not like the pagers all have Semtex in them, or do terrorists use them as remote grenades.
    At first I thought they somehow switched out the units. Now I wonder if they somehow were able to remotely cause the battery to overload, assuming they are lithium Ion. But that seems unlikely for pagers.

Herstal

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indianapolis

I think it's clearly more explosive damage than could have been done with normal batteries, so my guess is they got a really good deal on some cheap beepers and decided to hand them out. To have compromised that supply line and then decided to add a little C4 to 1500-3000 of these things is crazy feat.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While plastic explosives like C-4 and Semtex are designed to be easily malleable, that's by design and controlled by the use of some type of plasticizer. Smart terrorists probably would have examined the pagers before buying them, but it's possible the plastic case itself was the explosive charge and never suspected.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    While plastic explosives like C-4 and Semtex are designed to be easily malleable, that's by design and controlled by the use of some type of plasticizer. Smart terrorists probably would have examined the pagers before buying them, but it's possible the plastic case itself was the explosive charge and never suspected.
    I was listening to Amir he believes it was explosives inside or as you stated the case.
    Israel hasn't said they did it yet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think it was posted earlier in this thread that a shipment of pagers was seized by Israelis who then planted 1-3 grams of explosives in them and rigged them to explode somehow, possibly when a certain code was entered after calling the pager.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was listening to Amir he believes it was explosives inside or as you stated the case.
    Israel hasn't said they did it yet.
    I've got to believe that those guys are smart enough to check stuff that their procurement people get for them, at least a cursory inspection. Terrorists are survivors, the result of having few if any friends and a lot of enemies.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom