• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am thinking of trying a different Internet and tv provider. I have had bright house and att but don't really like either.
    I am with att now but the Internet speed never comes close to what I am paying for.
    How is Xfinity work for those of you that have it?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Cable gives the best speeds, Xfinity is a cable provider. ATT Uverse is not cable, its infrastructure is a combination of fiber optics and traditional phone lines. The fiber optics part of their infrastructure do not go all the way to your house, but are typically within a mile. Cable is also faster than satellite, and not nearly as susceptible to interruptions from storms.

If you're talking about performance (speed) and reliability, you can't beat cable.

Xfinity is a little pricey, but also convenient. I not only get my internet from them, but also my TV and phone, and the phone signal is also used for my alarm system. My phone includes unlimited calling to anywhere in the US and Canada, and they also have Mexico packages available. I think they have more limited packages available if you don't need that. I pay extra for the TV service so that I can watch the Football and Hockey games that are not available on the standard antenna transmissions or on basic cable. I pay close to $200 per month. But when you consider the cost of separate phone and internet providers, that's really not too bad.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The product is decent. Internet speeds are never what they advertise either.

Customer service from Comcast/Xfinity is pretty terrible overall and you pay through the nose.

I have a medium tier tv/internet bundle and our monthly bill just jumped up to $180/mo. up from $150. I don't have any experience with with the high end Xfinity service they are pushing with voice activated search and all the bells and whistles.

Overall I like the product better than Brighthouse, but my interaction with the company has been less than stellar.

If you don't mind the price and don't plan to change your service much, it's decent.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If you're talking about performance (speed) and reliability, you can't beat cable.

Unless you live in Fort Wayne and can get a fiber to the premises connection from Frontier. 100/100 for $70, never slows down, no silly data cap. :)

You'll get a bit boost moving to Comcast from Uverse, the big problem with Comcast is making sure you're only paying what they told you they would. You have to watch your bill like a hawk and call them regularly when they "adjust" it. Also if you live in a densely populated area your speeds *may* suffer from time to time based on the browsing habits of your neighbors.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Hmm uverse with about 12 meg and a crappy channel lineup for $200+ or Xfinity with 100meg+ and every tv channel besides some special sports and movie packages for $110? Yea I'll take the xfinity any day. I've personally had very little trouble with the customer service when I call. Most the issues are long wait times, and pricing troubles when your initial contract runs out. The phone tech support is ok, and the billing dept has always fixed billing issues quickly for me.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    As a Comcast Business Class customer, and a previous Xfinity customer, its crap. I only use Xfinity because they provide me wit the best speeds in my area. Their customer service is crap and their technicians rarely know what they are doing.
    They'll make up some false claim that you cant use your own equiptment for XYZ Reasons. Also, as others have mentioned you will pay an extreme amount to get anything decent.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    *sigh* I was hoping for stellar reports

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another pin to burst your bubble: If you have Brighthouse, Comcast isnt likely available in your area. The regulators tend to chop up cities and towns into sections and give each provider exclusive access. Infrastructure is expensive to install, and providers didnt want the headaches of universal access that the RBOCs are dealing with. So the .gov types worked with the providers to divvy up service areas "fairly". :rolleyes:

A lot of people dont realize it but the feds force RBOCs to sell access to their phone wires to the competition "at cost" so they can resell it and compete. So if you wanted to start AllenM's phone co, you wouldnt have to bury new phone wires under the streets. For instance, you would simply contact ATT, buy the lines you need from them, then resell them to your customers.

So since BrightHouse installed the lines in your section of town, that is the only CATV based internet available to you.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Compared to uverse it's good.
    Hardly have any issues, speeds are faster/better than what I pay for.

That said, it's coNcast.
    (I do not have tv - just internet)

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    here is a hint: If you don't like the price, call to cancel 100mb Internet, tv, phone, HBO and Starz $100/month

Their customer service is like a government office is terms of them caring about your needs.... So make them give you stuff like HBO etc.. I have HBO and Starz for $1 /month

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    We have Xfinity TV and internet, have had it now for a few years. We switched from AT&T due to their crappy TV reception. ( I live in Indianapolis)
    AT&T tech support was ok---Xfinity, no clue never had to call them.
    AT&T pricing was ok and so is Xfinity. As you know, if you do not like the price just negotiate.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You can't beat Xfinity's speed. I although it isn't at the advertised speeds. It's usually faster. I have seldom had a issue. When I do, it's because a storm has took the system down. And that is seldom.

Yeah, it's pricey. If you are cheap with your $$ don't look at it. But mine works at or above it's advertised specs and I have never had any on going issues and I have had it since it came to my neighbor hood.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I hate the hassle of switching but I am so tired of how slow my service is. I do have brighthouse in my area so I will have to see if xfinity is availble

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am thinking of trying a different Internet and tv provider. I have had bright house and att but don't really like either.
    I am with att now but the Internet speed never comes close to what I am paying for.
    How is Xfinity work for those of you that have it?

JMHO, the internet is GREAT !!!!! T V, not so much .....

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have comcast and deal with it because it is the best option available...having said that, if they were to legalize all drugs but make you buy them through comcast customer service we wouldn't have a drug problem in this country.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    A little slow tonight (top 2 tests), but with uverse I paid for 18 meg and avg'd 12-14. Now I'm paying for 100 meg and avg 110-120 meg.
    image.jpg

Top Bottom