• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've had Comcast/Xfinity for 7 years and have no complaints. They do raise their prices every so often and it can get expensive, but if you know how to negotiate then you can talk them down on the phone, I do it once a year or at the end of my contact/promo.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've always had a problem with those guys charging 8Mbps prices but the bill will show 6Mbps and the speed was even slower then that.

If we move back to Columbus, I'll probably end up with Comcast and putting up with their negatives. In Nashville, I had newwave....it was fast for the first 1.5 years until they "upgraded" the line to carry 50Mbps. With the annoying dropped speed and the stupid tech on the phone blaming everything but their infrastructure, we switched to ATT DSL.

Internet was slower then what we had and we are paying more money every month.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The short answer is that all the providers suck. You just have to decide which part of the suck you can live with. ;)

Comcast: Fastest ultimate internet speeds. Do you need this though? Are you streaming 4k video on 5 TVs while downloading multiple complete TV series on your computers? If not, you probably don't need anything more than 12 - 20 Mbps. TV Offerings have been less stellar. When I used them for internet there was practically a monthly neighborhood outage.

IMO DirecTV has the best picture quality. People will play up the signal loss issue but if your dish is aligned and mounted properly it will be out for less than five minutes and only on very heavy storms. In rare instances you might have to brush off some snow but you won't have to worry that ice or a road crew broke a random cable and took out an entire neighborhood's service. Sadly there is no good internet options with satellite TV but sometimes they'll bundle service with another provider.

Uverse: Average network speeds and picture quality but typically not as expensive as the other two.

What exactly are you wanting to improve on? Cost, picture, or internet?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    For any reasonable speed I"m forced to use comcast but my TV is through Direct TV.. I'll get away from Comcast as soon as the other local provider gets all their fiber optic installed.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I've had Comcast for almost 8 years, reliable and consistently getting 30mb down, 5mb up.

Customer service sucks. But then again, I've hardly ever needed them. And when I do need service, I call the Fishers office directly and speak to someone there, NOT from their call centers. I can power cycle the device all by my little self, thank you.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    well turns out it isn't even available at my house, so this has been for nothing

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    The short answer is that all the providers suck. You just have to decide which part of the suck you can live with. ;)

Comcast: Fastest ultimate internet speeds. Do you need this though? Are you streaming 4k video on 5 TVs while downloading multiple complete TV series on your computers? If not, you probably don't need anything more than 12 - 20 Mbps. TV Offerings have been less stellar. When I used them for internet there was practically a monthly neighborhood outage.

IMO DirecTV has the best picture quality. People will play up the signal loss issue but if your dish is aligned and mounted properly it will be out for less than five minutes and only on very heavy storms. In rare instances you might have to brush off some snow but you won't have to worry that ice or a road crew broke a random cable and took out an entire neighborhood's service. Sadly there is no good internet options with satellite TV but sometimes they'll bundle service with another provider.

Uverse: Average network speeds and picture quality but typically not as expensive as the other two.

What exactly are you wanting to improve on? Cost, picture, or internet?

Agree with this as far as DirecTV goes. Picture quality is awesome. We have had it since we bought out house in July 2012 and have had MAYBE 4 outages due to weather (and by outage I mean signal interruption of a few minutes). One time I had to go out and use the broom on the dish due to snow accumulating on it.

Overall I love it, the wife called and got our bill reduced quite a bit. We are paying $95 monthly and have been out of a contract for over a year.
    As for internet we have ATT Uverse high speed which is 20MBPS service that usually clocks 21-24 and (again thanks to the wife) is only $30 a month.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I've had Comcast/Xfinity for 7 years and have no complaints. They do raise their prices every so often and it can get expensive, but if you know how to negotiate then you can talk them down on the phone, I do it once a year or at the end of my contact/promo.
    ^^^^^^^^Definitely this^^^^^^^^

p.s. I'm in Indy and have never had trouble with either Co.'s service.

BFP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2014
    Seymour
    I would echo what most others have said. I've had Comcast Internet service for about 10 years. It's SMOKING fast, I LOVE the service, I consistently get in the 28-30 MB down range. I have MetroNet fiber at work, and I'd take Comcast any day.

The real issue is I live in the country, it is the ONLY option available as far as decent Internet service. I have DISH TV service.

All that being said, I #@$#$ HATE Comcast. The day we get any kind of other option in my neck of the woods, will be a happy day, I can tell Comcast to kiss my @$$. Their customer service sucks, at best. I've had to call a few times over the years, and it always ends up the same, I have to be a jerk to get anything done. As will all service providers, you need to call about once every six months and complain about prices, lo and behold they always have some kind of perk for you, doesn't matter, Comcast, Verizon, DISH, whoever.

We signed my daughter up for Comcast who's in an apartment at school, they sent a confirmation via email that was $29.00 more a month than they quoted on the phone, they never shipped the equipment. I week after the equipment should have arrived, I called to cancel, we went with AT&T. Fine no problem, the equipment never shipped for some reason, blah, blah, blah, we're sorry about that. I got a letter Tuesday from a collection office in North Carolina for $69.00 that Comcast had turned over to them for my daughter's account. Comcast is the devil, I don't know what else to say, words cannot describe my hatred for them, but it is smoking fast, pick your poison.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    +1 Do not rent a modem for $6 a month. Go to WalMart and buy one. Much cheaper in the long run.

Problem is if you have their phone (and I believe home alarm) you have to have the gateway with the phone jack and coaxial (eMTA) and not a standard cable modem. Unless there is another way, in which case I would love to know.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom