Is Toyota more American than GM or Ford???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    OK, just thought of this. If American auto makers export mfg facilities to Mexico and China, India, Honduras, etc.. BUT Toyota, Honda, and Subaru import facilities for manufacturing vehicles and employ American workers which is more American?

It seems as though buying American actually means buying Japanese.
    I could be wrong, but I know alot of guys who work at Toyota and alot more that were let go from Ford.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I work for Subaru and they have been paying me in American dollars for 15 years. The cars we build have more parts in them from US and Canada than from over seas. Many of the parts come from other suppliers in the state.
    We also build cars for Toyota on contract.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    The old, simple definition of "made in America" seems to need revamped to accurately reflect today's business market. You would have to define "made". My 2000 F-250 was a 60/40 IIRC, 60% made in the US, 40% in Canada.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've always felt that the redefinition of "made in America" really comes down to whether you support the white collar or blue collar people. Like "Blue Tile Spook" alluded to above the current definition is too simplistic to be accurate in the current world.
    If a company is "based" in the U.S.A. but all the actual labor & manufacturing is done elsewhere then that is a White Collar U.S. but blue collar foreign company in my opinion.
    If a company is "based" somewhere else but the majority of the labor and manufacturing is done here then that is a white collar foreign and blue collar U.S. company in my opinion.
    Does that make any sense to anyone else? I ask this because I am nowhere near this industry so I don't know if my thinking is in tune with reality.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Many years ago when I was in college, I wrote a short paper titled, "Save American jobs, buy Japanese". It didn't go over well, as I was studying in Northwest Indiana, the buckle of the rust belt. Japan has spent the last 25 years sending jobs here, and we have spent the last 25 years sending jobs anywhere but here.

I bought an American made Camry a few years ago, and the guys who built it earn more per year than I do.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I have had this argument with my friends several times. Here is my biggest gripe about the whole thing.

I own a Dodge Ram 2500. This vehicle is perfectly acceptable to my " I only buy american car" friends.

I own a Honda Pilot. This vehicle is not acceptable to my " I only buy american car" friends.

Now lies the problem. My "American made" Dodge Ram was made in Mexico. Says so right on the door. So that means when the workers of my " American Made" Dodge get of work and go have a beer (cerveza) at their local bar they spend their pesos in Mexico, when the go to the grocery they spend their pesos in Mexico.

Now my "Japanese made" Honda was made in Ohio. Says so right in the glove box( 96% I think). So when the " Japanese Made" Honda workers get off and get a beer they go to the local bar and spend dollars, and when the go the grocery they spend dollars and all the money stays in the community here in America.

I sometimes just don't understand the logic.:dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    My car was ASSEMBLED in Michigan, the engine in Alabama, the transmission in germany, the electronics in Brazil and any stamped steel parts in Ohio. Suspension was made in Lithuania, as I put an imported "Eastern European rough road" suspension on it.

My dads truck was Assembled in Arkansas.

My moms Toyota has more American parts on it and 95% assembled in America (engine from Japan.)

Yes the Japs have put A LOT of americans to work and pay them as well, if not better than UAW workers.

Heck, Honda just put a new Goldwing plant outside of Dayton.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    So does my 04 Dodge with Cummins diesel. But on another note. I have a 99 Camry with 120,000 on it and it runs and drives like new car.
    My 2006 Focus has 115,000 on it. Runs like brand new, haven't done anything to the car besides oil changes, mtx fluid service, coolant change, spark plugs, 1 set of front brake pads YES my factory front brakes lasted 90,000 miles (rear shoes are still original and will probably out last the life of the car) and a brake fluid flush every 2 years. Also the suspension I imported and any other performance parts I put on.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    nearly every vehicle sold here by japan company's is made here. all atv and goldwings are to. they are made for the american market and dont sell well else were. there are a few lower production numbers car that are shipped in or some specialty car that are shipped in. i.e. toytoa mr2 and the nissan GTR. but for the most part japan cars are built here.

Toyota Camry tops this year's Cars.com American-Made Index — Autoblog

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    A very good question. I always tried to buy American. In 2005 I bought my wife a PT Cruiser and discovered it was made in Mexico. Found a site on-line that listed where the big 3's vehicles were actually made and found Mexico and Canada seemed to make many of the Ford, GM and Chrysler products. This time I bought a Toyota which was assembled here. I don't care where the company is headquartered. It's American workers I want to support.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I'm tired of buying "american" cars made in other countries. From now on I will only buy Right hand drive cars so there is no confusion...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I remember it was reported last year that the most American made car is the Toyota Camry.
    Many are made right here in Indiana and in Kentucky.
    A lot of the parts are manufactured in this country too.

AND when you consider the fact that ALL of these companies stock is bought and sold publicly worldwide, who REALLY owns these companies?

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I live in Winchester and used to work for a factory that made parts for Honda that was Japanese owned. Now I work for a different factory in Richmond that makes parts for Honda, Toyota and Suburu. The department I work in specifically makes parts for the Camry and the Tundra. I think the department I worked in at the other factory made parts for the Honda CRV... It's been awhile I'm not sure about that one.

Edit: Oh, and both of these companies are based in Japan.

Last edited:

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Man, This has been an awesome thread. I agree with the white collar/ blue collar American vs. Japanese statement. When a company exports thousands of jobs from the states to some backwards ass third world culture, only a small percentage of ultra rich people get more ultra rich. When a Japanese company sends those same jobs here entire communities are revived. The statement made " my ford was made in Mexico, but my GM was made in Canada" made me laugh out loud.
    I am convinced that the recession is a result of American export of mfg. If America stopped all trade with China and Wallmart was held for treason the American economy would essiantially experience another industrial revolution. I dont need a $15 power drill or $69 string trimmer nearly as much as I need to feel like my children and grandchildren have opportunity to work and raise families here like my parents and grandparents.

raider600

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I own a subaru WRX. These subarus are only made in japan. I have owned Chevy and GMC. I will never go back to domestic. err "domestiforeign"

Top Bottom