• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Couldn't care less about your typos and had no idea you were on disability until you just said so. The entitled aren't just those who get a check from the government. Daily, I read posts here complaining about price gougers. I have an item that you (general you here, not you personally) want. I determine what I must get out of it before I'll part with it. Maybe the price I determine is based nowhere near reality. But it's my item, I set the price. Maybe the item is readily available at any big box store for $10 but I've decided it's worth $20 to me. The potential buyer that acts like I owe it to him for $10 feels he's entitled to it for $10.

Now lets add scarcity into the picture. My item is $10 at the big box stores if you can happen to find it. I may decide its worth $30 to me now. Yet these entitled buyers still think I owe them that item for $10. Screw em, I won't sell it to them for $100.

We have so called conservatives who love to rail against government spending yet will support tax payer funded subsidies to the likes of Jim Irsay and the Simon brothers because they like their teams. We have so called conservatives that love to rail against government deficits but think their should be plenty of money to pay government employees. Seen any of the threads here complaining about the sequester? We have so called conservatives who complain about government banning 32 oz sodas and salt shakers but want to regulate your bedroom.

To me, conservative is to seek smaller government across the board, not just for yourself. So what's the answer for all of those railing against those evil gougers and flippers? The complaining here has no teeth. How do you plan to put teeth to all the complaining to eliminate the gouging and flipping? Price controls? Rationing? I don't read anyone here advocating those things but what else can stop it? Threatening to never buy from me in the classifieds? Please don't do that, I'll lose sleep at night.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    1) accuse folks of diverting attention with completely off topic ideas.

2) divert attention with completely off topic ideas.

How does one jump from Ammunition prices to "hating" the disabled, then accuse others of projection and reading into things?

Interesting indeed.

As for hate, I dont feel the need to incessantly call out INGO members by name in all of my posts while simultaneously pretending to have them on my ignore list.

As for the original topic. It's quite obviously not gouging. Nobody is forced to pay that price and it's not an essential commodity for the sustenance of life.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    That is not gouging. A one of a kind or rare collectors item like that is worth what collectors are willing to pay.

Asking any price for ammo from your own personal stash is not gouging. No one is entitled to my stash or your stash.

Buying every box of ammo from a store just for the purpose of reselling at a much higher price might be considered gouging. It is debatable. Obviously different folks view the issue from different angles.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You answered sort of so I will give that much to you. I must assume all those things you said people complain about are the things you hold the opposite position so again you avoid a direct answer. I believe small government, the smaller and less intrusive, the better too. I believe the Federal Government is oly supposed to butt in when the States need to be mediated and once the crisis passes, they go away again. The Feds deal wit any sort of interstate problems and maintain foreign relations. The more intrusive a law is, the more locally enacted it should be so that those effected are those who really are most involved. That means if there is to be some law abrogating a right and those who are most effected by it accept that then they can live with it until such a time they ask for the courts to change it. Those who don't live there should either avoid the place or not ne concerned with how they wish to live. Until such a time a person finds him/her self a need to butt in, like a new job or such. Then it's time to take it to court for mediation and possibly to be struck from the books.

I also think it is none of anyone's business if I choose to do something on my land as long as I am not doing anyone harm. I also think that the real responsibility for taking care of the sick, elderly and otherwise unable to be productive persons should be family or churches. Those without either should be cared for too, just should not be quite as easy to be classified as disabled. BTW, I get paid by my retirement money that was part of my old job. Social Security in all their wisdom and despite five different doctors they sent me to feel I should get a job and have denied me any aid. Final judgement is up to a social worker, not a doctor and that irks me. I paid my bit and when I needed it back, they tell me no dice. So yeah, the system is broken.

Finally, my way of stopping this stuff is to simply ask everyone to stop paying stupid prices. I said that iall along really, I say we just need to stick together and vote with our wallets. Not sure how this becomes something unFree Market? I have said before, you can't be bothered with reading what is said when it's far more fun to take things out of context and argue.

The typo remark was more aimed at the usual piler's on, like 38spl who has posted but I can't actually read the post (maybe he doesn't understand how ignore works/) who usually butt in just to see if they can tick me off. That I guess is meant to obfuscate my words so you can make it seem I am saying something I'm not.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That is not gouging. A one of a kind or rare collectors item like that is worth what collectors are willing to pay.

Asking any price for ammo from your own personal stash is not gouging. No one is entitled to my stash or your stash.

Buying every box of ammo from a store just for the purpose of reselling at a much higher price might be considered gouging. It is debatable. Obviously different folks view the issue from different angles.

How is this any different than the wholesale industry? Company A makes a product and sells it to a distributor for $X. The distributor sells it to a dealer for $X + $Y. The dealer sells it to you for $X + $Y + $Z. The distributor adds zero value to the product and only the cost of Y and Z. Why can't I just buy it straight from the manufacturer for $X + a fraction of $?

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    How is this any different than the wholesale industry? Company A makes a product and sells it to a distributor for $X. The distributor sells it to a dealer for $X + $Y. The dealer sells it to you for $X + $Y + $Z. The distributor adds zero value to the product and only the cost of Y and Z. Why can't I just buy it straight from the manufacturer for $X + a fraction of $?

We don't know, you tell us.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The distributor doesn't add zero value, he adds convenience so you can get all the different stuff and brands you want in one place.
    That makes ordering and accounting so much easier for ANY business than it would be going to every source for every little thing you anted to sell.

You have a lot to learn.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County

I get what you are saying.

Like I said it is debatable.

The only difference I see is it is a regular person (reseller) buying up everything and preventing the next guy (or several guys) from getting the ammo at a more reasonable price. Granted they dont have to pay the resellers higher price. They can always do without. Ammo is not a necessity.

Again, debatable.

I am glad I stocked up when times were good.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The distributor doesn't add zero value, he adds convenience so you can get all the different stuff and brands you want in one place.
    That makes ordering and accounting so much easier for ANY business than it would be going to every source for every little thing you anted to sell.

You have a lot to learn.

How does that work when the dealer never has what you're looking for? I can get on the phone or the Internet and order it just the same.

I can understand a manufacturer not wanting to manage an entire distribution center to mail to individual buyers. If they did, there shipping costs would go up. That's why I said $X + a fraction of $Y dollars. There are some manufacturers that allow factory direct ordering and the distributors and dealers hate it. Why? Because the consumer would rather take the savings. So apparently the "convenience" isn't worth $Y + $Z to many consumers.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville

You have a lot to learn.

Kind of like the convenience value added by the so-called "gouger" so one can simply buy from 1 person instead of driving to 14 walmarts for a box of ammo.

FYI simply stating "you have a lot to learn" at the end of your posts does not serve to add credibility to your argument. Adding actual substance and reasoning to your argument is more effective than your constant personal attacks on the intelligence of people you've never met.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What you've said is absolutely irrelevant to what I said.\

and shows again you have much to learn grasshopper

I bought a Boss V plow for my gator. Msrp was $3800 which priced me out of the plow. I stumbled upon one on eBay for $2850 thus putting it in my price range. Local dealer wanted full retail. I got the plow with some accessories shipped to my door for $3250. What convenience would I have gotten from local distributors and dealers would have I gotten for that nearly $1000 except a lighter wallet?

Convenience generally adds costs. If the end consumer had the opportunity to buy factory direct at a 10+% savings (25+% in the case of my plow) which will the majority choose?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Kind of like the convenience value added by the so-called "gouger" so one can simply buy from 1 person instead of driving to 14 walmarts for a box of ammo.

FYI simply stating "you have a lot to learn" at the end of your posts does not serve to add credibility to your argument. Adding actual substance and reasoning to your argument is more effective than your constant personal attacks on the intelligence of people you've never met.

Back when I was newly married, we'd shop at 3-4 different stores over the better part of a day to get the cheapest price possible. Limited funds made it a necessity. Now, I keep it to one store plus an occasional Aldi's run out of convenience. Should I botch how unfair it is that all stores don't have the same prices?

I'd gladly pay $50 a bulk pack of 22 vs making 14 trips to Walmart and still coming up empty handed.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'd gladly pay $50 a bulk pack of 22 vs making 14 trips to Walmart and still coming up empty handed.

Precisely. Though neither of us need to do that since we planned ahead.

But even for the new shooters. $50 is a drop in the bucket compared to what many will spend shooting.

Shooting is not an inexpensive sport.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Precisely. Though neither of us need to do that since we planned ahead.

But even for the new shooters. $50 is a drop in the bucket compared to what many will spend shooting.

Shooting is not an inexpensive sport.

Who's responsible driving up the price of lobster and caviar? I want to eat it every night.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Who's responsible driving up the price of lobster and caviar? I want to eat it every night.

Quite obviously it's the fault of those willing to pay that price for a convenience.

Lobster and Caviar are all over the ocean. You can just go get some yourself nearly free!

I'm going to Red Lobster to complain of price gouging.

Top Bottom