Is there a "proper" spot on the top rail for a Red-Dot???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Pfftt!

Don't listen to these guys.
    Placement of a red dot is extremely critical when it comes to rifle mounting. I have found that you need to mount it between your face and the muzzle end of the gun in order to make it function correctly. Anywhere else, and it just make it difficult to see through.

You're Welcome. :):

The bottom rail, just forward of the mag well.

NightFisher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    On one of my guns I have a carry handle, so I mount the red dot in front of that on the rail.

other than that, I am with the rest of you guys, as far forward on the reciever as possible.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I prefer it farther back.

I never understood the far forward idea. I want the weight/ballance towards the back. Trying to reload and keep the gun up? Trying to keep the gun up while doing something else w/ your weak hand? That all gets harder w/ a forward balance point. the closer to you the balance point is, the more stable your off hand shooting will be, also.

Also, while I know technically dots don't have a "field of view," the farther back you have it the more you see through the scope tube/body. What this means is if you have a less than perfect alignment, you can pick up the dot easier/faster. That really comes into play when shooting awkward positions.

-rvb

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I think it depends on your use. My experience is with my aimpoint T1s and the absolute co-witness Larue mounts. I think that going further forward makes transitions between closer targets easier and further back makes getting on more distant targets easier. Further forward toward the muzzle allows me to see more of my immediate surroundings and further toward the charging handle obstructs less of my view distant to me. That was my experience. If your answer is "as far forward as possible", where do you put it on a monolithic rail like a SCAR? Behind the front sight? I tried putting my Scars T1 out past the magwell and if it were just for CQB, then it would be great, but I found the best overall comporomise to be somewhere around the middle of the ejection port on both it and my ARs. It looked super cool out further though.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I prefer it farther back.

I never understood the far forward idea. I want the weight/ballance towards the back. Trying to reload and keep the gun up? Trying to keep the gun up while doing something else w/ your weak hand? That all gets harder w/ a forward balance point. the closer to you the balance point is, the more stable your off hand shooting will be, also.

Also, while I know technically dots don't have a "field of view," the farther back you have it the more you see through the scope tube/body. What this means is if you have a less than perfect alignment, you can pick up the dot easier/faster. That really comes into play when shooting awkward positions.

-rvb

I was always of the further forward the better camp just because that is what I had been told. This past weekend in a carbine class with Mike Pannone he mentioned that he never understood this and mentioned some of the same reasons as you for mounting it further back. I was surprised.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This is why I don't have an Aimpoint, and just run iron sights. I don't have to worry about the RDS placement :)

Well, that and I don't have the $$$ for an Aimpoint :D

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This is why I don't have an Aimpoint, and just run iron sights. I don't have to worry about the RDS placement :)

Well, that and I don't have the $$$ for an Aimpoint :D

They can be pricey but I have not seen anybody who has put one on and not seen almost immediate improvements in accuracy at speed. Yes I know there are those out there who say they shoot way better with irons, I have not seen them however.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    They can be pricey but I have not seen anybody who has put one on and not seen almost immediate improvements in accuracy at speed. Yes I know there are those out there who say they shoot way better with irons, I have not seen them however.

I believe it. I'll get one as soon as I can afford one.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

Yes on both counts.

Yes my Aimpoint Comp M4s was pricey, and yes my speed and accuracy with it are both much better than with irons.

MUCH better.

Like, holy crap, I love this thing better.

The M4s is built like a tank too. Kinda heavy, but very rugged. But yeah, I still have folding BUIS just in case.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Aimpoints are pricey?
    OK.....how about an ACOG? :n00b:

They're worth it. Cost sucks but you won't regret it.

And don't forget the price of a good quick release mount :)

They're expensive too, even more so, but they're not red dots. Hey, everybody complains when they spend money.

I have a TA44, little 1.5 power and I kinda run it like a red dot. I have Aimpoints and the TA44 and they both have their advantages

The M4s is built like a tank too. Kinda heavy, but very rugged. But yeah, I still have folding BUIS just in case.

Don't know if I truly need a CompM4s but when I handled one I knew I wanted one. I was very impressed and I didn't think the weight was too bad, actually thought it would have been much heavier

Top Bottom