• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Can always get a Walther pps. It's almost the same as a shield, and readily available.

Why no love for the pps? It's a nice firearm.

Personally, I'll be trading the shield in for a xds once there's a .40 version available. The xds just felt too nice.

Tdcompton

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have to say no... And I never thought that I would have many good things to say about anything that was not my trusty Glock lol.

I bought a Glock27 b.c I couldn't find a Shield, it became immediately evident that I would never be able to conceal the 27 on my person no matter what I wore... I am quite small and even my jackets gave profile to the weapon. I enjoy my 27 but it is simply too thick for me to conceal.

I managed to get very lucky and found a shop able to get a Shield in my hands within a matter of weeks (probably just good timing - but I am grateful!) and the day that I picked it up I shot a box of ammo through it and immediately fell in love... I love the weight, the thin single stack, and I find it much easier to CC. The recoil is MUCH less than I expected it to be and after a few times shooting the Shield I now feel very comfortable with it.

My Father has a Ruger LC9 and raved about it (I happened to absolutely hate that gun after shooting it) but has now placed his name on a wait list for a Shield after shooting my own...

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    M&P's are not my cup of tea, but I love my Nano. To me, it's the perfect carry 9mm.

Mine has been 100% reliable with everything I've shot through it. I also love the new 8 rd mag options as I just got mine from Beretta a few weeks ago after watching the website for a month for availability.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    We were looking for a firearm for My Lady. While we thought the PPS felt really good(mag release would take some time to get use to), she could not rack the slide. Not a problem on the SWs...

The recoil spring should break in a bit after a few rounds. They are stiff and harder to rack right out of the box.

My wife couldn't rack my shield when I first got it. But has no problem with it now. I'm sure it's the same with the pps.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    My wife chose the m&p compact today. Unfortunately wasnt able to even hold a Shield to see if she would like it better. I showed her many vids and reminded her of the differences between the two and she said she wasnt at all concerned about the size difference and she would hands down rather have more round capacity so we left with the compact. It was the one she kept going back to anyway after looking and handling a few others. Gonna work out fine either way cause Ive been wanring to get the compact for myself so after her carrying it for awhile, if she decides she wants to try the Shield then the Shield she shall have and I'll get me my compact:) easypeasy!

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    The recoil spring should break in a bit after a few rounds. They are stiff and harder to rack right out of the box.

My wife couldn't rack my shield when I first got it. But has no problem with it now. I'm sure it's the same with the pps.

My wife biggest concern was racking the slide. Said it was pretty hard and hurt her fingers a little. But the fella behind the counter said she managed better then most of the women that he has seen that are new shooters. She was incouraged by that and the fact that we told her it would loosen up some.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My wife biggest concern was racking the slide. Said it was pretty hard and hurt her fingers a little. But the fella behind the counter said she managed better then most of the women that he has seen that are new shooters. She was incouraged by that and the fact that we told her it would loosen up some.

One thing I have noticed is a lot of people that have trouble with the slide grab it and try to pull back. I've found that when I advise them to hold the slide in place and push the grip forward, they have a much easier time of it.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    One other thought-other than the latest run on "assault weapons" and accessories, is there a hotter firearm on the market than the shield? Is it true there seems to be more demand for the 9mm than the 40S&W?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Depends on your philosophy of carrying. If you want a gun that will provide protection against 98% of the deadly threats you are likely to encounter...like a couple of muggers...then that could be a great gun. Along with many other small slim 9mm. Kahr cm/pm9 comes to mind.
    If you are carrying to be prepared for a situation where more firepower may be needed to get you and yours to safety (active shooter/terror attack, gang of BGs) then maybe a glock 19/26/23/27 etc... S&W compact...something double stack with about 2xs the rounds as the Shield may be a better.
    All depends on what you want the gun to be able to do.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Picked up the p938 for the wife today, headed to the range in the next few days for her to put some rounds through it. She is pretty excited I think :-).

Silverlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Anderson
    If you can find one without getting positively raked over the coals on the price, anything in the HK psp family is beautiful to carry.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am looking for the same for my wife. I have been told by several shops that the Shields are very rare due to demand. At first my wife liked the Nano but I did not like that the Nano does not have an external slide lock and that some people were having issues with 115 gr ammo. My wife also wanted the option of a safety, so the Nano is out.

My wife decided on the LC9 and I am just waiting for one to be delivered to my LGS. Another option for some is to wait until the xDs in a 9mm or .40 comes out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Had to get another Beretta Nano because my wife kindly took mine into her possession, she liked it that much. Easy to rack, comfortable to shoot and stay on target for her.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I changed carry guns like underwear until I found the Shield. I can really say I've stopped looking for a better IWB carry gun. It is that good.

If Glock comes out with a single stack 9/40, I will buy one. BUT I will never sell the Shield!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Went and shot the p938 today. Put 300 or so rounds through it with 0 FTF and 0 FTE. All in all it performed just as I would expect a Sig to. Pretty happy with it.

100% comfortable with it as a carry weapon for the wife. She happens to be left handed so if she isn't carrying I can carry it on my left as a bug :-).

Top Bottom