• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Some have said that the buying craze has began to decline. However I seem to think that the perceived decline isnt from people buying their fill of possibly-soon-to-be-illegal firearms/accessories, but simply due to the fact there is nothing left available to buy. What do you all think?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It could be a supply thing, but you also have to consider that sooner or later people run out of both money and credit, and do so faster at grossly inflated prices.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Yep, I think the slowdown is a supply issue, not a demand issue. Me, I'm not panic buying but I would like to keep stocking up on ammo a little here and a little there. However, finding anything other than the crappy stuff or some shotgun shells has been difficult for me.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    It depends on what you're looking for.
    I just bought a nice single shot heavy barreled .223 from a local store.
    They had several of them to choose from.
    With a decent scope and the right handloads it will make a formidable medium range "varmint" gun. ;)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I found ONE 40rnd box of 7.62x39mm ammo at Walmart yesturday. I bought it. Everything else was still sold out. So I doubt its really over. Just nothing out there right now.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    Hate to say it, but the useful idiots (anti gunners) technically won here. pro gunners have done this to themselves.

Anti gun agenda:
    Raise gun prices
    Remove guns
    Tax ammunition

Compare that to whats actually happening.
    1500$ for a **** tier AK
    2000$ for a **** tier AR
    PMAGS for 70$
    No guns left to buy, sold out
    No need for bullet tax, bullets are gone

Its not slowing down for atleast 3 to 6 months. When 22LR ammo is hard to find, **** is getting bad

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Hate to say it, but the useful idiots (anti gunners) technically won here. pro gunners have done this to themselves.

Done this to themselves?

I am of the opinion Smith and Wesson, Remington (among countless other manufacturers) is smarter than the average Joe.

They knew the run on guns was off the charts. They knew the same time we did about the Colorado shooting. They knew there was an election coming up. They also got notice the same time we did that Obama won. They knew the same morning we did about Sandy Hook.

The gist? MSRP's haven't gone up. The middleman has. The firearms manufacturers by and large, have the sole ability to re-stock the shelves. Through funding, hiring, efficiency, whatever.

Good Lord, ammo is already churned out by the millions daily.

Note to manufacturers: Maybe you've noticed a trend the past 4 years? There is clearly a demand. Get to work.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Of the last 16 hrs spent at the shop 8 hrs have been on the phone with the dizzys. Supply isnt just low its vertually gone. Add to the fact the some shops are still down from the super storm and some ammo makers have strikes going on. Simply put demand Is way over production let alone supply. It will get better over time but most likly not for a few months. It also doent help that shot show is just around the corner eather.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Stopped into Midwest Gun Exchange yesterday to get some ammo, and their walls were full and the place was dead. I was in and out in a few minutes.

Rifle prices were inflated tho. Hopefully prices will come back down soon, so I can add a few more items to my collection. Refuse to pay these rediculous prices.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Done this to themselves?

I am of the opinion Smith and Wesson, Remington (among countless other manufacturers) is smarter than the average Joe.

They knew the run on guns was off the charts. They knew the same time we did about the Colorado shooting. They knew there was an election coming up. They also got notice the same time we did that Obama won. They knew the same morning we did about Sandy Hook.

The gist? MSRP's haven't gone up. The middleman has. The firearms manufacturers by and large, have the sole ability to re-stock the shelves. Through funding, hiring, efficiency, whatever.

Note to manufacturers: Maybe you've noticed a trend the past 4 years? There is clearly a demand. Get to work.

THIS!!

Last spring Ruger put out a notice that they werent taking any new orders until they got caught up. They were over a million units behind!

Seems to me one would hire some workers and/or start subing out the machine work. There has been off the charts demand for 5 years or so....any extra gearing up/tooling would have for itself long ago.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    I think the high prices may be leveling out but the level is still high. There was definitely a spike in the price and now those who want to sell have had to reduce the price, even though it is still a super inflated price. We won't see prices go back to where they were in November 2012, but in 6 months (over a year if an AWB goes into effect) we should see prices on AR, AK and ammo much lower. However, I believe the new price on the guns will be $100-$200 higher than they were before the spike, that will be the new normal price and a few bucks more for a box of ammo.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    Done this to themselves?

I didnt mention manufactures doing this. It doesnt really matter what the manf do if when its produced you can not buy it, find it or afford it.
    The MSRP can stay the same, but the shops and private sale do not remain the same, they are higher. When LGS are selling 100rnd of 22LR for 18$, thats not the MSRP, thats the LGS. Manf are working triple time to get product out there, but it doesnt really matter because they dont control the price at the end. They produce millions of 22LR a year. Even that high number doesnt matter when its 20$ for 100rnds and you can even find bulk packs. The manf is doing what it can, but in the end result it doesnt matter because prices and supply. Gun owners panic and buy all the things and that leaves nothing for the rest of the gun community.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

THIS!!

Last spring Ruger put out a notice that they werent taking any new orders until they got caught up. They were over a million units behind!

Seems to me one would hire some workers and/or start subing out the machine work. There has been off the charts demand for 5 years or so....any extra gearing up/tooling would have for itself long ago.

What do you think precipitated this demand in the last 5 years? You overlook the fact that they produce a product that could be made illegal tomorrow. If any other industry was experiencing the boom that arms makers were, they would expand like there's no tomorrow. There is no threat of the .gov outlawing dishwashers, TV's, or cars. No other industry has to fear the shifting political winds like the guns/ammo industry. They are all running at 100%+ capacity, they are making money like never before, why invest in additional capacity that could become surplus capacity with one swipe of Obama's pen. Sure, Ruger, S&W, Colt will all survive any pending hairbrained AWB. They cut some shifts, have some layoffs, and be back to normal. But what happens to Daniel Defense, Troy, Magpul, CMMG, Stag, etc? What is their incentive to increase production when they can't say for sure that they'll be in business in 6 months? Cut em some slack. They're doing the best they can.

mikedippert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Several shops have told me their distros are inflating the prices on them. Do gun makers only sell through distros? How do we know the mfg's aren't jacking the rates to the distros? SR22 still has an MSRP of $650, but an LGS had it for $2400 and claimed to have kept the original markup. His supplier caused the 370% increase.

I don't know who is the cause.

Top Bottom