Is the .308 still a modern round, or is it outdated?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    If you want a .308, get a .308. Good round, lots of choices, won't break the bank. If you want a bolt gun or semi auto, get that. Lots of choices, some more expensive than others. If you want to shoot long distance on game, practice, practice, practice. Anyone who says shooting an animal @ over 300 yards is not "sporting" has never done it. Shooting 300+ off a bench in range conditions at a stationary target is one thing, shooting that same round in field conditions, at a trophy animal, in a less than ideal field shooting position is not a done deal by any means.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used an M1 to take a deer at 400+ yards in Texas. It was the only rifle I had down there. The 30-06 round still had plenty for a clean kill. Deer in Texas are smaller, as their food is not so abundant, making more pressure for accuracy. I had already proven my marksmanship kills out to 600 yards on a regular basis for a dozen or so years. If my skillset was only honed on 100 yards off a steady rest, I would not have been confident to take that shot. National Match style highpower shooting is a good training for marksmanship skills.

Top Bottom