Is the .308 still a modern round, or is it outdated?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    300 Rum, or better yet 7.62 BMG...well....

Newer isnt always "better"....the 308w replaced the '06 IMHO because it was cheaper....less brass, less powder, less weight?...probably not because it was "better".

I love the 6.5's too...and the 7mm's and the .338's...they all have their place. But personally I prefer the 30-06 to the 308....did I go backwards?...no...I can load anything from mouse fart 100gr plinkers to 250gr cast lead sledghammers with one case that has enough capacity to be flexible and still be easy on barrels. That is asking a lot from the 308w or the 300RUM.

Whatever.

God bless
    -Shred

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Let me be clear on this. (I sound like a politician!) 300 yards or more shots at game while hunting is poor sportsmanship, IMHO. 400 yards with a .30-06 at targets would be great fun.

I would agree with you OUT HERE IN THE EAST. Out west longer shots are a lot more common. It's a terrain issue. In fairness - it isn't shot offhand...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am sorry to hear that the .308 is no longer viable. I know more than a couple dozen men and there are many men in multiple NATO alliance nations that compete with that round. They shoot iron sighted rifles held only with their hands and shoot that round at 800,900, and 1000 yards with surprising accuracy. In non regulation events, people with 300 Win mags and other better performing calibers do not seem to dominate the matches. (although a non top ten level shooter will pick up some extra points with other cartridges, not enough to win) I think that most people who cannot shoot the .308, need to tune up their skill set as they are probably not shooting other calibers that well either. Faster, less wind drift, flatter shooting cartridges still require rifleman skills

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Are there most accurate and capable cartridges yes there are, but for the ease of accessibility for new shooters and those that don't reload. The vast array of factory loadings I think still make it a valiant choice.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Are there most accurate and capable cartridges yes there are, but for the ease of accessibility for new shooters and those that don't reload. The vast array of factory loadings I think still make it a valiant choice.

This right here sums it up for me.
    I'll never be a competive long range shooter, and I don't reload. I can go almost anywhere and by "decent to good" .308 factory ammo. .308 makes sense for me, at this point, it's easy.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Te O.P. mentions "big game" and "300 yards" in the first paragraph. IMHO, planning to take shots over 300 yard at game, in any situation, is poor sportsmanship.

I think you're mistaken, but that's just my opinion.
    There are places and situations where a 300 yard shot may be your SHORTEST shot available.
    Hunting is not all like it is in Indiana.
    I know guys in Texas that normally hunt deer at 300 yards+.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Who on earth said the .308 Win is not much good beyond 300 yds? Even me and my somewhat lacking shooting skills can place rounds on target at 800 yds (front sandbag only) with my iron sighted, standard M1A, using cheap M80 equivalent ammo.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    the nice thing about .308 is that it's available just about anywhere, It's extremely versatile, it's made & used all over the world, and comes in lots of different weights and types: AP, soft point, BTHP, incendiary, tracer, SLAP, ball, etc...

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Let me be clear on this. (I sound like a politician!) 300 yards or more shots at game while hunting is poor sportsmanship, IMHO.

How many yards does one need to stay under, to qualify as a sportsman? Is this similar to line weight classes in fishing? I've booked some game and I don't recall their asking.

Also, do the animals know?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    308 is not going anywhere anytime soon. Are there better rounds? Probably but none that is somewhat affordable to shoot

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This reminds me of how the late Colonel Charles Askins would periodically write an article about how the .30-06 was obsolete and should be abandoned to the scrap heap in favor of the big belted magnums and the like.

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    I like my .308. I don't really have the budget to have anything more exotic than that in a bolt rifle and I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it past 300 yards so far. I feel like if I can get really proficient with a .308 out to however far I can get then after that I could get something more expensive that will really do well with good fundamentals (and expensive gear).

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The next question is a AR platform or a Bolt action rifle. Both have upsides and downsides. What are everyone's thoughts on what platform they like to shoot from?

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    The next question is a AR platform or a Bolt action rifle. Both have upsides and downsides. What are everyone's thoughts on what platform they like to shoot from?

I have 16 .308 rifles and they are all semi-auto. None are the AR "platform" - the majority are FAL's, a SCAR-17, an HK91, a couple Gaills and a Valmet. Someday I will get a bolt but for now my evil black guns get the job done.

Top Bottom