• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When it comes to what type of precious metal I buy, I focus on silver, then make sure whatever I buy is labeled clearly enough that if I'm trying to explain to a novice why it's worth something bartering that I want them to see 1oz, .9999 or whatever.

I have some American Silver Eagles, but otherwise I stick to pure bullion and I find the bars stack/store easier than rounds. That's one reason why I used to buy the Apmex 1oz bars, but I'm curious about what makes you guys decide to buy what you end up buying. Personally I don't get my tiny collection out and look at the designs or have any real collection other than just pure quantity.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When it comes to what type of precious metal I buy, I focus on silver, then make sure whatever I buy is labeled clearly enough that if I'm trying to explain to a novice why it's worth something bartering that I want them to see 1oz, .9999 or whatever.

I have some American Silver Eagles, but otherwise I stick to pure bullion and I find the bars stack/store easier than rounds. That's one reason why I used to buy the Apmex 1oz bars, but I'm curious about what makes you guys decide to buy what you end up buying. Personally I don't get my tiny collection out and look at the designs or have any real collection other than just pure quantity.
    I've been getting a lot of 10 oz. bars lately to get quantity with less required storage space, and the price makes the shipping free. I did buy 10 rounds yesterday just because they were cheaper than the 10 oz. bars.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Back when I bought metal I bought Eagles for the rock solid assurance of the quality, and that was the best advice of the time.

Then I branched out to the collecting aspect of different smelters. I have many small, odd shape ingots, some with odd weights, like 10.47 oz. I’ve got two with odd weights with coral on them. They have all been checked with a device that tell’s purity. Some are private smelters and I’m sure some are one of a kind. And as I said it’s more of a collector thing. Like guns or pocketknives or baseball cards.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The 10 oz bars do stack and store better but in the dystopian future the dumocraps want so bad it would also be handy to have smaller stuff for smaller purchases. Like you want to buy a box of five 12 gauge slugs and you don't want to pay over $200 worth of silver for it. It might not work well if you plan to make the other guy have the change all the time.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Content labeling is important, and I look for it more now that previously. Taxes now make obtaining many world coins intended for circulation more expensive, since they are less pure.
    For gold I'm looking at First Spouse 1/2 ounce coins, mainly at Liberty Coin.
    For silver, Phils are good but have no purity labeling besides Feinsilber (thought the gold Phils do have a purity mark). Having the Austrian government stand behind them is not that valuable to me. So mostly interested in rounds (1 ounce) and bars (5 to 10 ounce).

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Gold for wealth storage, silver for savings / speculation/temp. holding / barter.

Savings: Quality sovereign coins in mint tubes, some good quality rounds and bars (eg RCM, Royal British bars)
    Spec/temp holdings: 1oz to 10oz known mint rounds & bars such as Sunshine, Silvertown, Golden State, etc.
    Barter: 1oz rounds and sovereign coins, 90% (constitutional) silver in dimes, quarters and halves.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Or another way - $1.40 is one troy ounce.

Got some of these:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

IMG_0680.PNG

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Or another way - $1.40 is one troy ounce.

Got some of these:

Looks like a good deal, do the ones you received have purity marked on them?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom