• ...and so much more!
  • DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Ok here's the deal,

A few days My wife and I went grocery shopping at wal-mart. Now I know by the reading that I have done that I am allowed to openly carry there, so long as I am not asked to leaved by the store manager or such. I have since been to this particular wal-mart several times since obtaining my LTCH and have openly carried every time and with other then the odd glance or so I have yet been asked to leave or even questioned by any employee of wal-mart.

Now On this day my wife and I did our whole shopping in peace for the entire 2 hrs that it took us to get our shopping done, including the long wait in the cashier line. After having checked out and paid for everything we were walking out the door and heading towards our car when I passed a gentleman walking in the door's. thinking nothing of it other then just another wal-mart shopper I continued pushing our cart to the car.

After getting to the car and having started putting our groceries away, the same gentleman I had noticed while walking out of the store walks up to me and the wife and say that in the future he would appreciate it if I concealed my firearm the next time I go into wal-mart. He further stated that under the law I had a duty or some such to conceal my legally carried firearm where it might incite a panic. How ever he never stated any specific law that he was quoting. The entire time he had what I will stated appeared to be a badge in his hand being "almost" entirely covered by what looked to be his wallet. Now this "apparent" badge was silver in color and had the look of a multi-point star badge. He also throughout the entire conversation never identified himself as a cop other then to say he dealt with the law on a daily basis.

Now I know before anyone say anything that Vanderbrugh County Sherifs carry a % pointed star as their badge, however the badge that I saw seemed to have more points then a 5 pointed star.

Now his actions aside, my question is this.

Is there anywhere within the state law that states I as a legal LTCH holder either must conceal or have a duty to conceal my legally carried firearm when in a place that by openly carrying might cause or incite a panic?

edited:

I will say this since some one changed the title of the topic,
    I know that open carry is legal within this state, that wasn't my question. My question was this,

Is there any where that it is written within the state law or provision within said state law concerning legal carry of a firearm where I have a duty to conceal said firearm when going to a store or meeting or whatever may be the case, where by openly carry said firearm might cause or incite a panic?

again I will say that i know that I can openly carry in this state as that is the only way that I carry. I'm not trying to come across as rude or condasending or anything I'm just trying to clarfiy a point so that I understand the state law better

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is there anywhere within the state law that states I as a legal LTCH holder either must conceal or have a duty to conceal my legally carried firearm when in a place that by openly carrying might cause or incite a panic?

Short answer: No.

You may carry as you see fit anywhere it is legal to carry. Period.

The Wal-Mart Walk is almost a rite of passage for folks new to OC!

The badge-carrying person is misinformed, offering an opinion, or attempting to intimidate you. You may also ignore them as yo see fit. :D

Horse-Power

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    If the "badge" had to many points its probably because it wasnt a badge. It was his CCTS (Concealed Carry Throwing Star) and he was just showing you it because he wanted to let you know he is a Ninja and there is no reason to carry a weapon because he is around to keep you safe.

Little does he know his ninja equipment is illegal in Indiana so he is the one in violation.:D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The person who approached you was either a "busybody" (if a non-LEO), "incompetent" (if a LEO), or a "felon" (if he was flashing something he hoped you would think was a badge). Regardless of which one it was, he was full of crap and he should either mind his own business or arrest you.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    "Thank you for your concern" and walk away. Everything else is fruitless under the conditions that you described.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You're good to go.
    I carry a copy of the legal forms I downloaded here on INGO. They've come in handy for educating, family, friends, and even a LEO.
    I should have saved the links. I'll have to do a search.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know that open carry is legal within this state, that wasn't my question. My question was this,

Your original title was "Looking for some help with finding an answer." which is not descriptive of the topic. The title was changed to make it easier for other members to find.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You're good to go.
    I carry a copy of the legal forms I downloaded here on INGO. They've come in handy for educating, family, friends, and even a LEO.
    Sorry, I'm woefully inept at the search function here.
    There were some links to printable rights, laws, etc, that I carry in my wallet.
    Maybe someone has quick access to them?

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    AS soon as I saw the partially covered badge, I would have asked the straight question: "Are you a police officer?"

If he answered yes, then I would have called the police non-emergency number to check his story. Right in front of him, looking him dead in the eye.

If he was, I would have tried to have a present conversation on carry laws. If not, I would have reported him and tried to lecture him on carry laws until the real cops showed up. :D

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    edited:

Is there any where that it is written within the state law or provision within said state law concerning legal carry of a firearm where I have a duty to conceal said firearm when going to a store or meeting or whatever may be the case, where by openly carry said firearm might cause or incite a panic?

again I will say that i know that I can openly carry in this state as that is the only way that I carry. I'm not trying to come across as rude or condasending or anything I'm just trying to clarfiy a point so that I understand the state law better
    There is no law that I know of. There is nothing like that as far as OC goes. Just don't yell "FIRE" in a movie theater. ;)

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    "Are you a cop?"

If "yes":

"Then if I'm breaking the law, either arrest me or STFU and mind your own business."

If "no":

"then STFU and mind your own business."

Hint: a cop would have asked about your LTCH first and foremost.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    "... in the future he would appreciate it if I concealed my firearm the next time I go into wal-mart."
    Heckler's veto, with horse:poop: added in attempt to intimidate.

"And I would appreciate it if in the future you'd mind your own <expletive optional> business, as well as your manners."

If "no":

"then STFU and mind your own business."
    :laugh:

Last edited:

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    You're good to go.

I'm interested in these forms, as it would be nice to have just in case.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom