• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Volkman makes a beautiful custom-built 1911. Check them out!!

He and his business partner had a falling out. Luke left to start his own shop leaving his partner with the original Volkman company. I agree that the makes a great 1911, but I would wait until his new shop is open (I think he said March) and hopefully some of his prices will come down now that he was half the employees.

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Are Nighthawks worth the money....depends.

I have a Nighthawk, Baer, Brown, Yost full custom, and several other nice custom or semi-custom 1911s. I also have several production 1911s.

Before I comment on Nighthawks specifically, my thoughts on the whole semi-customs aren't worth the money dialogue: I think if you focus just on the argument of how accurate one gun is versus the other, you miss the point. It's like focusing on which car is faster than another. For example, you can take an inexpensive car and after a few modification torch a Benz, BMW, Jaguar, Bentley, etc. off the line going 0-60. You can then rub it into the owners of those other cars about how your civic smoked them. You know what though, they will smile from their incredibly comfortable hand sown baseball glove leather seats and not worry that your car is a bit faster than theirs. You see, they purchased their car not just for speed but also for the fit and the fit and finish-the total experience.

In the same way, people who buy semi-custom or custom 1911s do so not just for accuracy (a lot of the money you spend is on features that don't directly impact accuracy). They do it for hand checkering that is spot on, sights that are appropriately fitted, an incredible trigger that breaks like glass (I prefer my nighthawk trigger to any of the other semi-customs), solid customer service (although Brown and Baer can both be a bit prickly to work with), and many more features.

Implying that it is a misguided ego trip to purchase one of these guns and not use it regularly is similar to implying that someone who drops 100K on a car and doesn't race it has wasted their money. At the end of the day, its up to the buyer. Some of us can take comfort in knowing that our $400 guns can out shoot a $2500 gun. Others of us appreciate the experience of shooting the $2500 gun so much more that we don't care if our group is .25" off from yours. It'll still be center mass and man will we look good and will the gun look gun when we do shoot it ;-)

In terms of Nighthawks' value relative to other semi-customs, sometimes I feel their price is about 10% high; however, it may be just because most of their models have quite a few features. I still think Baer is the best bang for the buck in the semi-custom market; however, the aesthetics of nighthawk are different, and for many, superior to Baer and the other competitors. In accordance with my argument above, it it floats your boat-I say go for it and enjoy it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

I have a Nighthawk, Baer, Brown, Yost full custom, and several other nice custom or semi-custom 1911s. I also have several production 1911s.

Before I comment on Nighthawks specifically, my thoughts on the whole semi-customs aren't worth the money dialogue: I think if you focus just on the argument of how accurate one gun is versus the other, you miss the point. It's like focusing on which car is faster than another. For example, you can take an inexpensive car and after a few modification torch a Benz, BMW, Jaguar, Bentley, etc. off the line going 0-60. You can then rub it into the owners of those other cars about how your civic smoked them. You know what though, they will smile from their incredibly comfortable hand sown baseball glove leather seats and not worry that your car is a bit faster than theirs. You see, they purchased their car not just for speed but also for the fit and the fit and finish-the total experience.

In the same way, people who buy semi-custom or custom 1911s do so not just for accuracy (a lot of the money you spend is on features that don't directly impact accuracy). They do it for hand checkering that is spot on, sights that are appropriately fitted, an incredible trigger that breaks like glass (I prefer my nighthawk trigger to any of the other semi-customs), solid customer service (although Brown and Baer can both be a bit prickly to work with), and many more features.

Implying that it is a misguided ego trip to purchase one of these guns and not use it regularly is similar to implying that someone who drops 100K on a car and doesn't race it has wasted their money. At the end of the day, its up to the buyer. Some of us can take comfort in knowing that our $400 guns can out shoot a $2500 gun. Others of us appreciate the experience of shooting the $2500 gun so much more that we don't care if our group is .25" off from yours. It'll still be center mass and man will we look good and will the gun look gun when we do shoot it ;-)

In terms of Nighthawks' value relative to other semi-customs, sometimes I feel their price is about 10% high; however, it may be just because most of their models have quite a few features. I still think Baer is the best bang for the buck in the semi-custom market; however, the aesthetics of nighthawk are different, and for many, superior to Baer and the other competitors. In accordance with my argument above, it it floats your boat-I say go for it and enjoy it.

substance-p, I couldn't have said any better:yesway:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I was lucky enough to be able to hold Indymonkeys T3 that he had and that thing was a beast. Someday I plan on buying one.

Me too, but when my 17 y/o handled it I told him "dont drop it, we will have to sell your car !!!"

I can appreciate the finer things as well as the next guy, but my Kimbers do everything that I need them to.... I guess that I could sell off 3 of them and get a NH.... ;)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    not worth it to me. but if your into that kind of gun then yes. anything you buy is worth what YOU are willing to spend on it. If you collect bobble head dolls then they are worth what you pay for them. I would rather buy toilet paper.

I collect H&K pistols among other things. but what I may pay for one, someone else might call me a fool. and I understand that.
    I also collect Gibson ORIGINAL Les Paul guitars (NFA items aint got nothing on the cost of these babies), and I cant even play that well. am I stupid? not to me but others might think so. I think they are works of art and one day I might have the time to learn to play good. But for now, I still know I have built a good investment even though I only have afew.
    unless its something that I want fast, I usually try to look at what something re-sells for and not spend anything over that for it. then I know as of current market value that I have an investment as long as I take care of it.

so, buy what you want. dont live your life or build your collection based on what others like or think. If you want a whole collection of nighthawks then build it. If you want a whole collection of door stops, i mean, hi-points then build it. its your money and your likes.

Its kinda like when my wife ask me what I think about some of her shoes she likes or a piece of jewelry. its all chinese to me, and I dont care. I tell her if she likes it, buy it. its her thing not mine, so my opinion doesn't count. I guess I could be an ass and tell her I like the least expensive one, lol.

Last edited:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    • If you just want a good functional 1911 pistol, no.
    • If you want bragging rights (do you drive an exotic car?), yes.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Thanks for posting this. I started typing something remarkably similar from my perspective as a Wilson owner, but I got tired. :):

Nice guns; different looking from Wilson and Ed Brown, a little better "finished" than the Les Baer, (as is the Wilson and the Brown) but also more money. Buy what suits you.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I was going to type a rebuttal post, but I guess I’ll just ask the question, what makes a Nighthawk worth so much? And how can you back up the claim? What is the intended purpose of the gun? What makes it better than a box stock Colt that you send to a pistolsmith and have them do a $400 trigger job? I guess if the gun is going to be used for defense, you might be able to “WOW” the bad guy with the fit and finish before you put two rounds center mass and then go home and smoke a Cohiba and savor a couple of shots of Macallan 1939. Again, I contend, If you don’t shoot it, it’s nothing more than an ego trip.
    By the way, do you have any Grey Poupon?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    not worth it to me. but if your into that kind of gun then yes. anything you buy is worth what YOU are willing to spend on it. If you collect bobble head dolls then they are worth what you pay for them. I would rather buy toilet paper.

I collect H&K pistols among other things. but what I may pay for one, someone else might call me a fool. and I understand that.
    I also collect Gibson ORIGINAL Les Paul guitars (NFA items aint got nothing on the cost of these babies), and I cant even play that well. am I stupid? not to me but others might think so. I think they are works of art and one day I might have the time to learn to play good. But for now, I still know I have built a good investment even though I only have afew.
    unless its something that I want fast, I usually try to look at what something re-sells for and not spend anything over that for it. then I know as of current market value that I have an investment as long as I take care of it.

so, buy what you want. dont live your life or build your collection based on what others like or think. If you want a whole collection of nighthawks then build it. If you want a whole collection of door stops, i mean, hi-points then build it. its your money and your likes.

Its kinda like when my wife ask me what I think about some of her shoes she likes or a piece of jewelry. its all chinese to me, and I dont care. I tell her if she likes it, buy it. its her thing not mine, so my opinion doesn't count. I guess I could be an ass and tell her I like the least expensive one, lol.

Those that like NAME BRANDS & the finer guns will pay the money for a HIGH end 1911, I know I have. If it makes me feel better, it's worth the money:yesway::twocents:

DMarines007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Nighthawks are great guns; however, it depends on your requirements for your weapon of choice. My requirements does not allow may to sensibly buy a nighthawk b/c I can do just fine with something less expensive.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Those that like NAME BRANDS & the finer guns will pay the money for a HIGH end 1911, I know I have. If it makes me feel better, it's worth the money:yesway::twocents:

yes some things are better because of a name. some names are more $$ because they're name has earned a good reputation by the quality of the work and function. for me, I just realy like HKs (styling, performance, etc). in guitars I just realy love the sound of a real Gibson, and the vintage internals and pickups. I have never found an equal to the sound. so they are worth the extra $$ to me.

Im not a 1911 guy, but if I was then yes I would probly buy a nighthawk or some other high end 1911.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I have Glock's that will, and they will do this stock. I never understood buying an expensive new gun knowing you will have to work on it to get it reliable.

Uhhh, sure, ok.

That statement does nothing but prove ignorance. Contrary to popular internet cowboy belief you DO NOT have to spend secondary $$ on a quality 1911 to "make it relaible" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I have Glock's that will, and they will do this stock. I never understood buying an expensive new gun knowing you will have to work on it to get it reliable.

That's funny!!! I just shot a brand new G17 2 weeks ago that hurt your finger to shoot the stupid thing. I got on here and said I was suprised how crappy it was and was given a website for a $200 trigger job. I am glad folks love their Glocks, my only experience with Glock left me very shocked and dang glad I didn't buy that gun!!!! :noway: :noway:

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I have a stock Rock Island 45 that I sent off and had about every thing done to it that could be done. Finish, to new parts, you name it, it has been done to this Rock Island. Checkering, grips, trigger, I could go on and on. It will out shoot the Nighthawk's and the Les Bear's. $417 for the stock Rock and then $800 in new parts and labor. $1200 in the Rock Island and it's flawless and beautiful. I carry it every day. I own 27 different 1911's, from a custom $2600 gun to the ugly Hi-Point 45. It's all bragging rites. My little Sig. P238 is a custom firearm. I have probably $645 in custom additions to it with the total price of the firearm at $420, for a total of $1060. For a stinking little 380?? It's my bragging gun. It shoots about anything you can put in it. I almost think you could shoot rocks in it. You want a Nighthawk or a Wilson, you'll get a beautiful firearm with looks and function. BUT, The lowly Colt's and Kimbers, and Rock Islands will do the same~~~~throw lead. Just not as pretty.....

Top Bottom