• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Because you think it's too much for a semi-custom 1911, or because you think Nighthawk isn't on a par with Wilson, Baer, or Ed Brown?
    I think it is too much cash for all those "custom 1911's" I can't justify it, will it be anymore reliable / accurate than a tricked out Springfield/Kimber/Colt by (insert gunsmith of choice)? I have no problem spending money on guns, but the just don't see it on the "big" name "custom" 1911's. Even if you dropped $1000 at gunsmith in labor and parts, and a $1000 on the gun, your still coming in way under those big names. Just my :twocents:. $3000+ 1911, I feel your paying for the name.

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    I think it is too much cash for all those "custom 1911's" I can't justify it, will it be anymore reliable / accurate than a tricked out Springfield/Kimber/Colt by (insert gunsmith of choice)? I have no problem spending money on guns, but the just don't see it on the "big" name "custom" 1911's. Even if you dropped $1000 at gunsmith in labor and parts, and a $1000 on the gun, your still coming in way under those big names. Just my :twocents:. $3000+ 1911, I feel your paying for the name.

I respectfully disagree, you may have $2000 into a Springfield or whatever with the gun cost and smithing; but it may only be worth what the original gun cost or slightly more-depending on who did the work. I think at least with a semi-custom you will have a better resale if you need to sell it.

Many of the top notch 1911 gunsmiths arent taking work unless it's a full build and you're looking at a long wait and big $$$$$.

I think "worth" is all relative to what you want and what you can afford.

Personally, I think the Les Baer's are a great semi custom option for the money, I bet the Nighthawks are the same.

OP: Good luck with your decision, just let us know what you end up with.

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I was lucky enough to be able to hold Indymonkeys T3 that he had and that thing was a beast. Someday I plan on buying one.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yes they are worth it, but "worth" is relevant to the purchaser. I agree with what has been said about Nighthawk, Wilson, Baer, and Brown, but before dropping that kind of coin, I suggest you patrol a few sites and see what people have to say about the respective brands at that level of gun/price. I have 3 of the 4 brands, and yes, they are different from any other gun (I traded a Kimber Gold Match for my first Wilson and haven't looked back) They are expensive, but hold their value relatively well and once you spend some trigger time behind one, you'll be spoiled for life. Best of luck in your search!

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have yet to find a gun, that will out shoot my DETONICS SCOREMASTER, I just bought a CASPIAN with a CLARK barrel & comp, It has a 1.5 pound trigger pull, per my RCBS TRIGGER PULL SCALE

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    ME TOO!!!! :spend:
    If that's the case post up some targets and show us what you are talking about. :stickpoke:
    Seriously, I would imagine that as bman1962 said, the pistol is nearly always more capable than the shooter. I want the satisfaction of knowing that my equipment is always more reliable and more capable than I am so if I miss I know exactly where to lay the blame. ;)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For the money, I really like the lightweight feel of my Kimber CDP II Pro with the 4.25 barrel but really like the looks of the Nighthawk Talon II bobtail.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    In my honest opinion, if you pay in excess of two thousand dollars for a 1911 and don’t shoot it enough to put some trophies on the shelf and “wear the gun out”, it was just an “ego trip” purchase. If you want a true “custom”, you might take a look at some 1911 Pistolsmiths, Neil Keller of Kustom Ballistics in Decatur, definitely knows his way around 1911’s.
    I’m not trying to discourage anyone from spending money, you work for it, spend it how ever you want, but enjoy it, put some bullets downrange, and let the gun show you it’s full potential.
    What I’m trying to say is, if you can afford the gun, but not the ammo, it’s not worth it. If you can afford the gun and ammo, but not the time (to shoot it), it’s not worth it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah, I think all the haters are just jealous. I know I am.:)

My thoughts are to throw my $ at ammo, training, practice and matches. I'm thinkin' the results should yield me a Nighthawk sponsorship with guns and all of the rest supplied. It's a plan, maybe not a good one, but it's a plan.

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Yeah, I think all the haters are just jealous. I know I am.:)

My thoughts are to throw my $ at ammo, training, practice and matches. I'm thinkin' the results should yield me a Nighthawk sponsorship with guns and all of the rest supplied. It's a plan, maybe not a good one, but it's a plan.

so your saying we should all buy jennings and soon enough we'll have nighthawks? I knew there was a reason I kept you around.

Top Bottom