Is it Time to Fly the U.S. Flag upside down as a sign of "Dire Distress"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    :patriot: Is it time to consider flying the American Flag upside down as a sign of "Dire Distress"Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10

176. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
    • (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The situation of dire distress in America started a long time ago and not just recently. Where were all the flag flippers when we invaded Iraq with no good reason for a war with them? Where were they when Clinton signed the NAFTA act which has caused more damage to America than any one bill in a hundred years? It has been time to stand up for our country as our rights have been stripped by politicians from both sides of the aisle for decades.:patriot:

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    The situation of dire distress in America started a long time ago and not just recently. Where were all the flag flippers when we invaded Iraq with no good reason for a war with them? Where were they when Clinton signed the NAFTA act which has caused more damage to America than any one bill in a hundred years? It has been time to stand up for our country as our rights have been stripped by politicians from both sides of the aisle for decades.:patriot:

NAFTA is worse than the Federal Reserve? I wholeheartedly disagree.

The credit that the Fed extends to this country is what allows all of these ills (Wars, bubbles, bailouts, medicare, medicaid, SS, etc.) to take place.

It has been time to fly the flag upside down since 1913.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    NAFTA in my opinion is right up there as far as damage done to America. How many thousands of good paying jobs were lost due to this one bill? Honestly, I don't remember so many towns and schools hurting for money when the auto industry and manufacturing jobs were here in strength and people were making a good wage which pays more toward those taxes.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I will offer an opposing opinion. I think we should fly the flag correctly and high. Just because we (the American citizens) have elected less then honorable people for president and congress, doesn't diminish the fact that we are Americans. If anything we should fly the flag higher as a sign of defiance. I plan on being here long after the current administration is in the history books. While I may be ashamed of the government workings in D.C. I am still proud of the country my father fought for, and I will fly that banner high and proud.

I WILL NOT LET THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION DICTATE HOW I DISPLAY MY PATRIOTISM!

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    There is a businessman here in Brazil that has flown his flag upside down and the paper did a story on it. More power to you if you do it because you get people asking WHY? Great chance to tell all the sheep that are asleep!!

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I will offer an opposing opinion. I think we should fly the flag correctly and high. Just because we (the American citizens) have elected less then honorable people for president and congress, doesn't diminish the fact that we are Americans. If anything we should fly the flag higher as a sign of defiance. I plan on being here long after the current administration is in the history books. While I may be ashamed of the government workings in D.C. I am still proud of the country my father fought for, and I will fly that banner high and proud.

I WILL NOT LET THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION DICTATE HOW I DISPLAY MY PATRIOTISM!

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

I agree with you that we should not let them dictate how we show our patriotism. It is your choice how you fly the flag but I do think it is a good idea to show some other flag or sign as well such as the gadsden flag.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    flying the colors in distress does not waver your Patriotism. if you were burning the flag it would.

heres something i wanna know, that REALY PISSES ME OFF!!!! Why do so many "so called" Patriots and Americans fly there tattered flags????? thats A VERY DISRESPECTFUL and un-patriotic display!!! i have seriously drove by flags that were in such disrepair but still being flown, that i have been compelled to get out of my car and retire the colors and properly dispose of them in an HONORABLE way. I almost did it to Arby's on 31 south and worthsville road in greenwood, but after about 20 phone calls to them an others i got them to replace it.

I bet their are members who will read this right now that have colors that need retired. PLEASE DO IT!!!! if your flag is faded, or tattered beyond respectful repair, then please take it down and take it to your local branch of the VFW or American Legion. PLEASE!!!! dont make me come and do it for you!!!

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    I bet their are members who will read this right now that have colors that need retired. PLEASE DO IT!!!! if your flag is faded, or tattered beyond respectful repair, then please take it down and take it to your local branch of the VFW or American Legion. PLEASE!!!! dont make me come and do it for you!!!

Also, your local Boy Scout Troops will retire your worn, tattered, or damaged flags for you as well.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    flying the colors in distress does not waver your Patriotism. if you were burning the flag it would.

If the federal government continues to grow and tyranny wins out, flag burning may become a sign of (true) patriotism.

Any symbol can become corrupted. Just look at what happened to the Swastika.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    For practical reasons, don't fly your flag that way. It's actually intended as an emergency signal. You don't want it to become like a car alarm.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom