Is it responsible to store in a locked console.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    If no safe, then get creative. I USED to have a snub nosed 44 spl. Hidden inside the steering wheel of my F150. I would take it out when I got in the truck and hide I when it was going to be parked for a long period of time. Of course there was no tools nessecary to do so due to the make and model of my truck. And I don't know any theif who would attemp to dissemble my steering wheel for valubles.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If no safe, then get creative. I USED to have a snub nosed 44 spl. Hidden inside the steering wheel of my F150. I would take it out when I got in the truck and hide I when it was going to be parked for a long period of time. Of course there was no tools nessecary to do so due to the make and model of my truck. And I don't know any theif who would attemp to dissemble my steering wheel for valubles.

That's ingenius. +1 to you.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My regular vehicle is a pick-up.

I have a GMC Sierra. For those of you familiar with it, there are actually 2 center consoles. One is the armrest, and the other is down below it at seat level, in the middle between the seats. The lid can also function as a middle seat.

I wish someone would make a vault that would replace that center console between the seats, with the same size and look and function as the original so as not to look like a vault. Maybe someone does?? I would buy one!

Anyone know if there is something like that out there?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks Mark 1911 for sharing. i used to drive a 2000 Chevy Blazer, the center console plastic tray would lift out revealing a nice place fro the Glock-23 and spare mags to ride. velcro buttons on the lip of the console and underside of the plastic tray made it look as only one piece and the one time my Blazer was opened (in my own left open garage after the ol lady got home and forgot to close the garage door one summer evening) the Oxygen thief auto burgler snatched items off the seat and rifled the glove box, taking only one of those old mini TV's. (I would like to send that burgler a case of Chap Stick and Vasoline if anyone knows his identity and/or incarceration location)?

P.S. how many Blazer owners checking out that sweet spot this morning eh?

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    So, you are saying I need to make sure I have a safe in my house too? Because if someone breaks in and steals something and uses it in a bad way it is my fault.

I wouldn't say you need one, but I would say you should have one. Just like a seat belt, if it was up to me it wouldn't be mandatory but the first time you need one you'll be damn glad you had one.

I bought a Ft. Knox safe from Kiesler's when I inherited some firearms, and at the time I was more afraid of fire than theft. I lived in an old house with no central heat and still used a wood stove and kerosene heaters, so fire was always on my mind as a real possibility.

Fast forward and I'm taking a job out of the country for two years, so I move my safe and tools and other valuables to a buddy's house. My buddy brought home some questionable ladies from the bar, and one was probably a scout. They broke into his house while he was at work and my tools were gone, as were all of HIS guns. 700lb safe made sure mine were still there. While expensive, most of my stuff could be replaced, but heirloom firearms are different.

I know they are expensive, especially a fire resistant one, but its cheaper than replacing a decent gun collection.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    If I was a thief, I would assume that a locked compartment in a vehicle has something to hide. I would focus on that area.

You aren't a thief though, and you are more logical and have better forethought than most petty criminals. If you teach private security, what you'll tell them to look for is people wandering through the parking lot, often on cell phones with their "pick up", looking in windows. Video surveillance will show them scout vehicles with obvious valuables out in the open, then they will hit the cars in quick succession or simultaneously, depending on number of thieves and target cars, grab the obvious, and go.

Most of the petty theft guys/gals (increasingly gals), are smash and grabs that take less than 30 seconds from glass break to getting in the pick up vehicle.

The exception is younger offenders finding unlocked cars/trucks, they might rifle through them for a bit.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No gun but I had someone break into my Jeep Cherokee in back of my house and rifle through it and only got change. They stole the radio the year before.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    Thanks for all the different points of view. I am rethinking how I store my gun.
    I only leave it locked in the console on weekdays when I work and my daily driving is to/from work and occasional stops. The locked compartment that I keep it in is under the fold down middle seat. Someone going for it would have to know it was there and how to access it. Definintly not an invitation for a smash and grab.
    But I do feel that as a gun owner and CCW carrier I owe it to the gun owning community to make every attempt to insure my fire arms do not fall into the wrong hands.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Responsible? Yes. You have done your part to keep the honest people from getting their hands on it. Problem is there is just too many dishonest people with bad intentions. I would personally take it in nightly.

Just my $0.02

This, plus personally from a maintenance standpoint I'd be worried about the constant temperature changes causing rust. I'd take it in at night for safety and also for cleaning/lube.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, what you're saying, is if you leave jewelry out and someone breaks in and steals it, you're not at all at fault? Not legally, but you'll still feel that you should have protected it.
    Why blame the victim?
    A house is a bit different than a car. The house doesn't move, so the environmental risk is pretty constant.
    My house sits empty for a good deal of time...
    Your car on the other hand could be in a good neighborhood one minute, and in a cesspool the next.
    Then my gun comes with me in a cesspool.

If you are even asking yourself the question "is it safe?", then it's probably not safe.
    You should constantly ask, "is it, or am I, safe?"

There's a risk/reward thing going on.
    1. What's the cost/loss if your firearm is stolen - include social cost
    2. What's the likelihood of theft.
    3. What's the cost of mitigation (e.g. cost of safe, cost of time, mental cost of living in fear)

Now also consider what's the likelihood of needed an gun and finding out it's not there because you left it at home or can't access the safe quickly enough.

The answers will be different for each person.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Why blame the victim?

My house sits empty for a good deal of time...

Then my gun comes with me in a cesspool.

You should constantly ask, "is it, or am I, safe?"

There's a risk/reward thing going on.
    1. What's the cost/loss if your firearm is stolen - include social cost
    2. What's the likelihood of theft.
    3. What's the cost of mitigation (e.g. cost of safe, cost of time, mental cost of living in fear)

Now also consider what's the likelihood of needed an gun and finding out it's not there because you left it at home or can't access the safe quickly enough.

The answers will be different for each person.

-Not blaming the victim. Pointing out the victim may blame themself for not taking an extra step to protect valuable property.
    -If your house is often empty, a safe is probably a good idea. You also probably shouldn't post that on the net.
    -The OP was about leaving it in a vehicle, not having it on their person. Your point is an option of NOT leaving it in the vehicle and therefore moot. Also, one may choose to leave a firearm in their vehicle while parked at home and home happens to be in said cesspool. In that regard, the opinion still stands that it's a good idea to put in a safe or take it in or on your person.
    -Agreed it is risk/reward, but OP did not describe any facts relating to their risk level, higher level assumed. All are free to modify our suggestions to suit need and level of risk as it applies to them.
    -Why would the firearm not be on your person or removed from safe while the vehicle is occupied? (not disregarding the legal exceptions for carry, the risk level of not having the safe during these exceptions should then be examined by the person in the situation)

We will have different answers, and they will vary widely. As I said that OP did not provide any information regarding the risk level besides reducing it by locking their vehicle, I'm assuming there's a higher level to make it clear there is a chance OP's firearm could be stolen from their vehicle and used to commit a crime. That does not, however, change my opinion that a firearm older should put responsibility on themself to protect their firearm. I understand cost may be an issue for some, but use your best judgement in that case.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    -If your house is often empty, a safe is probably a good idea. You also probably shouldn't post that on the net.
    Most people leave their house empty when going to work. It's not hard to figure out patterns so I'm not giving anything away here...

-Agreed it is risk/reward, but OP did not describe any facts relating to their risk level, higher level assumed.
    [STRIKE]Maybe[/STRIKE] NWI is a lot more risky than NEI.

-Why would the firearm not be on your person or removed from safe while the vehicle is occupied? (not disregarding the legal exceptions for carry, the risk level of not having the safe during these exceptions should then be examined by the person in the situation)
    Define "on your person"? If this is holstered, then why won't you carry everywhere? That's not really a truck gun then and outside of the scope of this argument.

If it's in a safe, then every time you go for a drive you must un-secure your weapon and then re-secure your weapon at your destination. For many people this is a step they won't execute - especially for those "short trips".
    :twocents:

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Most people leave their house empty when going to work. It's not hard to figure out patterns so I'm not giving anything away here...

[STRIKE]Maybe[/STRIKE] NWI is a lot more risky than NEI.

Define "on your person"? If this is holstered, then why won't you carry everywhere? That's not really a truck gun then and outside of the scope of this argument.

If it's in a safe, then every time you go for a drive you must un-secure your weapon and then re-secure your weapon at your destination. For many people this is a step they won't execute - especially for those "short trips".
    :twocents:

-Maybe I'm paranoid, but it's always a topic I'll avoid.
    -What does NWI vs NEI have to do with OP? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see a location in the OP.
    -You're right about that, my bad.
    -I'm under the impression OP was looking at longer term vehicle storage of the firearm (like overnight, 9-5, etc), not just on a short trip. The risk level will obviously need to be judged by the firearm owner. I would just hope that each owner judges appropriately for the actual risk that applies to them.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Responsible? Yes. You have done your part to keep the honest people from getting their hands on it. Problem is there is just too many dishonest people with bad intentions. I would personally take it in nightly.

Just my $0.02

I've had 2 cars broken into and a 3rd car got stolen while I was in Pittsburgh. Don't leave anything in your car that you don't want to lose.

I would never have a so-called "truck gun."

That said, I got a good buddy that keeps a pistol in his glove box, so to each their own. But since you asked I'll chime in.

Top Bottom