Is it ok for the President to use THAT word?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    ^^So much THIS!

When we all use "the C word" instead of "Cracker" or "the W word" instead of "wetback", then and only then will I consider that the academic use of the word "n****r" is improper. Until then, we are simply catering to the idea that only White people can be racist.

ETA: Note that context is important. Use that word or any other slur as a pejorative on here and I'll ban you in a heartbeat. It's not the word itself, it's the usage.

My mother, God love her, has a habit that annoys me. When she hears someone use a word that some find offensive, whether it be a religious slur against Jewish people or really, most forms of bigotry, she makes that noise in the back of her throat that sounds like someone has physically struck her. Not really a grunt, but kind of an "ow" noise without words. I sometimes want to say, "What, did the big, bad, naughty word hurt you?" I've not done that, because regardless of the annoyance that habit causes me, I do love her and while I don't respect many of her opinions, I do respect her.

The idea that one group and only one group can have their pejorative censored from the public eye and ear, while all others remain... THAT, my friends, is racism in it's purest form: applying a rule to "everyone but us".

This opinion may not be popular, but it is mine, and I really don't care if it's popular.

Blessings,
    Bill

I totally agree. Unfortunately, some animals are more equal than others.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Geez Piers. Only a loony liberal would want to jail you for saying the word "fire" while standing in a crowded theater. Not YELLING the word fire mind you, only SAYING it. Context is everything. Unless you are an idiot that is.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Piers is so profound.

@piersmorgan
    Not sure how I feel about a 'freedom of speech' that prohibits me shouting 'FIRE!' in a crowded theater but lets me use the N-word. #1A

I can't tell. Is he smart enough to know the difference? Just trolling for responses?

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I'm sure someone can put up a link, but apparently President Obama uttered that terrible word.
    first question, is it ok for President Obama to use that word? Why or why not?
    second, would it have been ok for President Bush to utter the same word? Why or why not?

Non-issue, really. It's just another word. Some like it, some don't, some don't care.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not jealous, just merely making a honest observation.

Is it an honest honest observation? Is the word in question the only you know in which members of that group are allowed to use a certain word, but it meets with raised eyebrows when someone else uses it?

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    A few years ago, someone of political importance or something, whose name I don't remember, used the word *****RDLY. OMG, the S**T done hit the fan! The event was splashed all over the tv news, radio news and paper news. I think the person was removed/demoted from whatever position they held at the time.

Here's the definition: *****rdly -- Adjective #1 - Stingy or ungenerous.
    Adjective #2 - Meager, and in "a *****rdly salary"

Adverb: Stingily; grudgingly

Synonyms: 1. penurious, miserly, mean, tight, avaricious, mercenary, illiberal, close.
    2. poor

So yeah, if some people in a position of power were to used the same word the POTUS used, there would likely be some repercussions from it. Of course, this trouble would depend a lot of the background of said person using the term. It's a "I/we can use it, but you can't!" word.

Gee! Looking at this post now, it makes absolutely NO sense to a new reader. Why not just redact every other word in the message and make it be totally gibberish?

Note to self: Do not read, look at, post in, make comments in ANY post dealing with anything racial in the future.

Top Bottom