Is it ok for the President to use THAT word?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think it is childish and ridiculous for people to get so upset about words. Even JESUS said it would be impossible to live life without experiencing something offensive. I have done a good deal of inter-city social work, Public housing social work and Jail Chaplain work. Guess what, the same verbage that the foolish want to see someone arrested for using is everyday language used both casually and openly hateful.

While WAP or Dago are not my favorite sounding words, I am mature enough not to empower the word. Same with calling someone a Mc, you can choose to empower the word with your shame or anger if you want to, a person of understanding pretty much ignores it.

The over done offense act keeps us distracted from solving more serious problems.

Last edited:

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I'm not saying it's a big deal to me, but evidently it is to some people.
    My point is "the anointed one" will get a pass where someone else (one of the Presidents Bush, or any other well known or high ranking official, ecspecially one who is white) would probably be ran out of office, fired, or made to "step down" for simply mentioning that set of "letters grouped together"!
    I haven't turned on the news yet tonight, but my guess is there will hardly be a mention, but if a white celebrity or official had said the same thing, we wouldn't hear the end of it.
    Am I wrong?

A few years ago, someone of political importance or something, whose name I don't remember, used the word *****RDLY. OMG, the S**T done hit the fan! The event was splashed all over the tv news, radio news and paper news. I think the person was removed/demoted from whatever position they held at the time.

Here's the definition: *****rdly -- Adjective #1 - Stingy or ungenerous.
    Adjective #2 - Meager, and in "a *****rdly salary"

Adverb: Stingily; grudgingly

Synonyms: 1. penurious, miserly, mean, tight, avaricious, mercenary, illiberal, close.
    2. poor

So yeah, if some people in a position of power were to used the same word the POTUS used, there would likely be some repercussions from it. Of course, this trouble would depend a lot of the background of said person using the term. It's a "I/we can use it, but you can't!" word.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Meh. Words are words. I find it hard to find any of them offensive.

Maybe in certain company you hold back from using some words (I don't curse in front of women that I'm acquainted with, for example). In the context of how he used it, I don't think it's an issue... however, I don't think any white/GOP president could have gotten away with it. The Internet would have melted.

I love using the most "offensive" words there are, because I'm not going to bend to some SJW bullcrap about what I'm allowed to say, and what's "triggering" to them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A few years ago, someone of political importance or something, whose name I don't remember, used the word *****RDLY. OMG, the S**T done hit the fan! The event was splashed all over the tv news, radio news and paper news. I think the person was removed/demoted from whatever position they held at the time.

Here's the definition: *****rdly -- Adjective #1 - Stingy or ungenerous.
    Adjective #2 - Meager, and in "a *****rdly salary"

Adverb: Stingily; grudgingly

Synonyms: 1. penurious, miserly, mean, tight, avaricious, mercenary, illiberal, close.
    2. poor

So yeah, if some people in a position of power were to used the same word the POTUS used, there would likely be some repercussions from it. Of course, this trouble would depend a lot of the background of said person using the term. It's a "I/we can use it, but you can't!" word.

I remember that. But I can't remember who it was either. Let's not fool ourselves, if I was heard using that word at work--in any fashion, for any reason, no matter how academic,--I'd be fired with no questions asked and no recourse.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Why is he so focused on this perceived "racism"? Just saw this pass through my feed... haven't confirmed it myself

CH5PrTaVEAAL6fu.jpg:large

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw this one this evening. I can't vouch for its accuracy but it puts your chart in comparison to homicides in other countries.
    image.jpg1_zpsjnuc1bvb.jpg

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure someone can put up a link, but apparently President Obama uttered that terrible word.
    first question, is it ok for President Obama to use that word? Why or why not?
    second, would it have been ok for President Bush to utter the same word? Why or why not?

I thought we had freedom of speech in this country.

One purpose of freedom of speech is to protect speech that may offend SOMEBODY.
    And the answer to speech that offends somebody is MORE speech.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm all for Obama being able to say what he wants, as a citizen. As the Chief Executive of the federal government, I expect him to be presidential. In that he rarely fails to disappoint. Still, I take no umbrage with his use of the word. I will say, though, no white republican could have gotten away with that. Not a chance. They would be ridden out of the beltway on a barbed wire fence.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I really don't think a white person of his position could have said that word in the same context. There's no way the likes of Al Sharpton and his cohorts would let it go. I think well adjusted people like Kut can understand context, but unfortunately the poorly adjusted people are the loudest and most powerful due to it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I strongly dislike president Obama... With that said, I have no problem with what he said. However, I also wouldn't have a problem with any of our former living presidents saying the same thing in the way he did. What I have a problem with is that Obama will slip by but if this were any of our previous POTUS' especially Bush it would be front page news!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...I agree, when having an adult discussion about harsh language in any sense, using cutesy abbreviations like "the N word" or "the F word" is kinda silly....

^^So much THIS!

When we all use "the C word" instead of "Cracker" or "the W word" instead of "wetback", then and only then will I consider that the academic use of the word "n****r" is improper. Until then, we are simply catering to the idea that only White people can be racist.

ETA: Note that context is important. Use that word or any other slur as a pejorative on here and I'll ban you in a heartbeat. It's not the word itself, it's the usage.

My mother, God love her, has a habit that annoys me. When she hears someone use a word that some find offensive, whether it be a religious slur against Jewish people or really, most forms of bigotry, she makes that noise in the back of her throat that sounds like someone has physically struck her. Not really a grunt, but kind of an "ow" noise without words. I sometimes want to say, "What, did the big, bad, naughty word hurt you?" I've not done that, because regardless of the annoyance that habit causes me, I do love her and while I don't respect many of her opinions, I do respect her.

The idea that one group and only one group can have their pejorative censored from the public eye and ear, while all others remain... THAT, my friends, is racism in it's purest form: applying a rule to "everyone but us".

This opinion may not be popular, but it is mine, and I really don't care if it's popular.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    He can say the word all he wants in any context because, obviously, he's at least partially black. They get a pass to say the word all they want. It's only racist when said by a white person with no regard to the context.

Top Bottom