Is it legal to do a FTF sale to this guy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Best advice. Transfer it through an FFL. You transfer it to them, they transfer it to him if legal. Let them be the responsible parties. After all, they should know the law.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Whether it appears to be legal are not, go with your gut instinct.
    If doing the sale might keep you awake at night wondering if you just broke the law or sold to someone who shouldn't have a gun, don't do it, for your sake.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Conflicting opinion and no difinitive law that says it is legal.

Laws aren't made to make things legal. They're made to makes things IL-legal. Still, if it were me, I'd have an FFL do the transfer, and then I don't have to lose any sleep over it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    IANAL, but...
    My gut on this would be to not sell.
    If your item is desireable, you will find a buyer you're comfortable with in short order.
    Why risk it or spend time and energy running to an FFL when a clean sale could be days if not hours away.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I know a certian guy that is not from the US that has Full auto weapons.

Somethings about the United states are bad ass.

Oh oh, I know that guy to! :rockwoot:

..........flashbacks about 'get to the choppa'

IndyMonkey, please stay right where you are. A car is being dispatched to your location for an interview.:D

They're gonna have a bunch of us to interview. Da OOZI rocks and so does it's owner.

:thumbsup:

Blessings,
    Bill

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Here is an update of my discussion with the potential buyer:

Potential Buyer: I understand your concern - until half a year ago I didn't know it was possible for non-citizens to own firearms here in the US, but I found out it is. I'm here on an F-1 student visa, non-immigrant alien. This link provides information on federal firearms laws for non-citizens: http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html Indiana, as is mentioned on that site, has no additional requirements. As long as I have been in the country for the past 90 consecutive days, and I have a valid hunting license, it's legal for me to buy/own firearms.

I can bring my passport with my visa, my hunting license, and utility bills for the past 3 months if you'd like, which is required by FFLs. I can also show you the receipt of the Ruger SP101 I bought earlier this week from a local FFL.

Please let me know if the FTF transaction is still on.

ME: I'm sorry but I really don't feel comftorable with this. I'm willing to ship it to your FFL and cover the cost of shipping on my end. This way the liability is off me and I can be sure this is all legal and everything, and I can sleep at night knowing the ATF is not going to raid my house :)

If you could provide me with his FFL form and send payment through Paypal or money order I can ship it.

Let me know.

Potential Buyer: I understand, I'm sorry I didn't mention the issue right away when I showed interest in the gun. I'm not sure if I want to go through FFL forms and pay the FFL transaction fee now - I figure that in that case I might as well wait a few months and save up for a new one. I'm not planning to shoot the .44 yet anyway until I'm comfortable with .357 (which I still haven't tried out yet).

I'm sorry about all the trouble. I hope you don't mind, and that you'll find another buyer soon!
    Best wishes!
    -----------------------------

His willingness to NOT pay an additional $20 fee to recieve a firearm from an FFL, when I offored to pay shipping, makes me very confident with my decision.

He was going to come from South Bend to Fort Wayne to do the FTF, a 4+ hour round trip drive, costing time and $$, but not willing to pay an FFL fee. This is VERY FISHY.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    His willingness to NOT pay an additional $20 fee to recieve a firearm from an FFL, when I offored to pay shipping, makes me very confident with my decision.

He was going to come from South Bend to Fort Wayne to do the FTF, a 4+ hour round trip drive, costing time and $$, but not willing to pay an FFL fee. This is VERY FISHY.

+1, $20 and you pay shipping, I'd be all over it.

[tin foil]Could be the new sting.[/tin foil]

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    In this case, the alien claims to be an F-1 Student. If so, he is a non-immigrant. There are provisions in the law to allow sales to non-immigrants, as this potential buyer stated. Although, it might be a legal transaction, I wouldn't do it personally. It would also have to be a special case, for me personally, to make a sale of a firearm to a Permanent Resident Alien. There are a lot of counterfeit documents floating around. There is something to be said for my peace of mind.

Top Bottom