• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I understand the conecpt of if it's not broke, dont fix however enovation fules sales it's proven. Take the m&p, allot of departments are switching because of the interchangable back straps. When you buy a gun, it will not fit everyones hand the same. Take Kel-Tec, they really do not follow suit. I think they make some of the most unique guns out there. I saw a write up in the new issue of Tactical weapons for Military and Police. They are designing an M4 style rifle, where the charging handle in on the left side of the rifle. I think that if you do not continue to enovate, you wil eventualy fall behind.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Take the m&p, allot of departments are switching because of the interchangable back straps. When you buy a gun, it will not fit everyones hand the same.

and some won't switch because of the differences in price of guns, mags and maintenance.

One down side of back straps is the uniformity of the weapon. If a cop's gun gets damaged in a gun fight, and he goes to retrieve the weapon from his downed partner, it may not shoot the same as his. Yeah, that's a BIG stretch, but it is a possibility.

Take Kel-Tec, they really do not follow suit. I think they make some of the most unique guns out there.

Yeah, they came up with the 3PAT and then let Ruger steal their design with the LCP and lost tons of money. Glock didn't stand for that when the "innovative" smith & wesson stole their design.

I saw a write up in the new issue of Tactical weapons for Military and Police. They are designing an M4 style rifle, where the charging handle in on the left side of the rifle. I think that if you do not continue to enovate, you wil eventualy fall behind.

That's not innovative, it's already been done... they are just putting their name on their own version.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think Glock has a monopoly on the market for a reason. They offer very good, reliable guns, that are cheap/affordable. There is no need to change that. But to hire on a lot of design engineers to continuously improve on designs would substantially increase costs, and may contribute to them losing their monopoly on good, affordable handguns.

Thats just my take on it.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I really thing Glock should come out with a carbine that would take their mags. I still think that is an untapped market. Kel-tec got close but not a direct hit. I just think of how many people that have glocks that would buy a carbine that took the same mags as their pistol.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Seems like when Glock tried to be innovative a few years back the popular reaction was "answer to a question never asked" (I don't like that phrase) Aka .45 GAP. Maybe they said pee on anymore big changes after that. :)

I believe they made the .45 GAP so they could sell more pistols in their home country because they have bullet size and case length restrictions. That's the rumor I heard anyway... :dunno:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Glock shouldn't set around and watch everyone else pass them by. Don't think for a second that they don't know every M&P,XD,etc. that is sold is a Glock sell that they lost. The 1911 was a example colt owned the market for 75 years and now most people don't even know Colt still makes a 1911. Same with the AR. To play it safe in this world economy is not the best decision. If you don't update and improve or have a new product, someone else will.
    :popcorn:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I believe they made the .45 GAP so they could sell more pistols in their home country because they have bullet size and case length restrictions. That's the rumor I heard anyway... :dunno:

Always a possibility. There are European countries where it not legal for civilians to own military caliber guns. Which is how the 9x21 came about.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i think leupold does the same thing. a company gets usto resting on there larels and says "consumers will by my product because its a ___" leupold may not do it with there lrt line but there hunting line leaves alot to be desired. imo companies like nikon have caught up and passed leupold in the hunting scopes. you can buy a nikon cheaper and i think its a better scope.

my father had a leupold vx2 3-9x50 (i think) i do know it was a 50 mm. i had a simmons whitetail classic mabye 4-20x50 im not sure. i know it was 50 mm. i could have mine on 20x (or what ever the highest setting was) and draw more light than he couple on 9x. we sent the scope back to leupold and were told " this scope meets our light transmition requirments" and they did nothing. there is no way a simmons should out preform a leupold especially on a higher magnification setting when both scopes are 50mm.

leupold rests on its larels i hope glock isn't making the same mistake

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    +1 to that. You pay a lot of money for that gold ring trademark...

i think leupold does the same thing. a company gets usto resting on there larels and says "consumers will by my product because its a ___" leupold may not do it with there lrt line but there hunting line leaves alot to be desired. imo companies like nikon have caught up and passed leupold in the hunting scopes. you can buy a nikon cheaper and i think its a better scope.

my father had a leupold vx2 3-9x50 (i think) i do know it was a 50 mm. i had a simmons whitetail classic mabye 4-20x50 im not sure. i know it was 50 mm. i could have mine on 20x (or what ever the highest setting was) and draw more light than he couple on 9x. we sent the scope back to leupold and were told " this scope meets our light transmition requirments" and they did nothing. there is no way a simmons should out preform a leupold especially on a higher magnification setting when both scopes are 50mm.

leupold rests on its larels i hope glock isn't making the same mistake

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Glock shouldn't set around and watch everyone else pass them by. Don't think for a second that they don't know every M&P,XD,etc. that is sold is a Glock sell that they lost. The 1911 was a example colt owned the market for 75 years and now most people don't even know Colt still makes a 1911. Same with the AR. To play it safe in this world economy is not the best decision. If you don't update and improve or have a new product, someone else will.
    :popcorn:

I see the comparison to Colt here as well. Time will tell whether or not Glock follows the same line of hoping their name is enough to sell guns. It's too early to make that call now, but I can't remember a time when glock had so much competition.

I've said this before. I would own a glock if there were more factory options then caliber and small, medium and large. I certainly respect glock's reputation for reliability. However, when I run the numbers, spending the money on aftermarket modifications that I require on a handgun would put the cost well above comparable guns with those features as standard.

For glock to offer factory options wouldn't mean getting rid of their current form. That's the beauty of options. Those who like glocks as they are could have them. Those who want more could have that too. As far as I'm concerned, if glock won't offer features to appeal to a wider audience they must not want my money.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think they are limiting themselves by simply NOT changing anything. i.e. Grips, frame...

Disagree, people who buy and keep Glocks like the frame, those who don't move on to something else, it's as simple as that.

It's basically the DPMS of the AR world, inexpensive but works.

Those who want to spend more can.

Top Bottom