• ...and so much more!
  • Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    IMO Glock hasnt really done any overhaul since it they hit our shores...a few cosmetic changes like finger grooves and a rail (oooooo ahhhhh) but overall the same. Like others have said, if it aint broke, dont fix it....and I agree to some part however, i dont think the home office in Austria realizes just how fickle the gun buying public is here in the states...a lot of people always want the newest, latest and greatest...even if it isnt any "better" its still the new thing.. Why do you think all the big guys come out with a new "miracle" cartridge every 3 years??? It isnt because the old ones stopped working....its to make sales ..period. With that being siad, I think a :new" Glock would sell like hotcakes, even if it isnt any "better" it would just be the New Glock...course then the Old ones would crash in value and be stacked up like plastic cordwood and we cant have that! LOL Just my 2 cents

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Doesn't the importation rules prohibit their expanding into other types of pistols?

I'm not a pro on the 'points' system at all, but I do know that that is why the .380 glocks can't be imported since they don't pass enough points.

So for instance, with Ruger being an entirely US operation, they can get by with producing the LCP. I'm really not sure how this allows Taurus to market the TCP, since I believe they are technically Brazilian.

Maybe someone can chime in on this aspect of things....

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Doesn't the importation rules prohibit their expanding into other types of pistols?

I'm not a pro on the 'points' system at all, but I do know that that is why the .380 glocks can't be imported since they don't pass enough points.

So for instance, with Ruger being an entirely US operation, they can get by with producing the LCP. I'm really not sure how this allows Taurus to market the TCP, since I believe they are technically Brazilian.

I understand some of Taurus' guns are now made in the US. Could that perhaps be the case with the TCP?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana

Glock can bring over anything it wants as long as it has sufficient import points. I think that being greater than .380 gains 10 import points.

The TCP in .380 is US made and not subject to any import restrictions.

Taurus USA imports pistols from Taurus' Brazil factories and those pistols are subject to import restrictions like any other.
    What is the BATF points system and how does it affect Glocks?
    Many of the Glock's parts and sometimes the whole gun are dictated or limited by the BATF's system of "import points". To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points
    Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
    Forged steel frame 15
    Forged HTS alloy frame 20
    Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
    .22 short and .25 auto 0
    .22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
    9mm parabellum and over 10
    Locked breech mechanism 5
    Loaded chamber indicator 5
    Grip safety 3
    Magazine safety 5
    Firing pin block or lock 10
    External hammer 2
    Double action 10
    Drift adjustable target sight 5
    Click adjustable target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Target trigger 2

For example, here is how the G17 scores:
    Length (7.28") 5
    Weight (24.79oz) 25
    Caliber (9mm) 10
    Locked breech 5
    Firing pin block 10
    Double action 10
    Target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Total 80

Here is how the Glock 26 scores:
    Length (6.29") 1
    Weight (21.87oz) 22
    Caliber (9mm) 10
    Locked breech 5
    Firing pin block 10
    Double action 10
    Target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Target trigger 2
    Total 75

Changes and features made to Glocks to comply with the BATF rules:
    - all models are imported with a cheap click-adjustable rear sight that is replaced at the factory with the stock sight
    - target (grooved) trigger added to compacts & subcompacts
    - target grips added to all models (required for the subcompacts)
    - due to their caliber, .380 autos (G25 & G28) do not score enough points to be imported

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Glock can bring over anything it wants as long as it has sufficient import points. I think that being greater than .380 gains 10 import points.

With the development of the LCI extractor a few years ago, I believe the G25 (G19-sized .380) has enough points to be importable. The G28 (G26-sized .380) appears to still by shy a few points. Or, Glock could assemble them on frames made here like they do the G17/22 (and perhaps the G19/23 by now) and render the whole issue moot. They choose not to, assuming that there would be a very limited market for a .380 pistol the same size as their 9mm/.40 counterparts. I believe they are correct; aside from an initial rush of Glock collectors and possibly a small number of sales to women, older/smaller statured folks and as LE backup guns, they'd have a hard time moving the G25 and 28 here in the US.

The TCP in .380 is US made and not subject to any import restrictions.

Taurus also makes the PT-22 and -25 here, for the same reason.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Glock is perfection.
    If you change perfection, it is no longer perfect.
    Glock will not change.

I think Glock customers (not me) like it exactly the way it is (I think it's a fine gun, but yes, I see room for improvement), and that is the feedback they are getting, so they see no reason to innovate. In their customer's minds (the ones who drink the kool-aid and own 7 glocks in each caliber) the competition has not yet caught up, so what motivation does Glock have to change?

I see two, make that three things that could be improved.

1. polygonal rifling
    2. grip angle (love it or hate it)
    3. unsupported chambers

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Most people buy Glock because they are inexpensive and leave it to the owner to do what they want with them. I am glad they came out with the G34 and G35 to compete with... but most of us still modify those the way we want them.

as someone else said, the 1911 hasn't changed much... why should the Glock?

I thought long and hard about moving to the S&W M&P platform, both for carry and competition, and the fact that it's made in the USA. The gun looks awesome, feels great in the hand. Then I got to looking at prices of the guns... then prices of the mags... then availability of replacements parts and springs and mag-wells and asked myself why would I spend so much more for not much return? Especially when I know the G34 will eat any and everything I feed it and run reliably all the time. And you don't have to have a gunsmith to work on them.

Figured if I was gonna blow a wad of money... why not just get a new 1911?

Glocks best asset is they keep it simple. Those who don't want simple will chose to get an XDm, HK, M&P, Sig and so forth, which are all awesome guns. Those who like Glock and want to upgrade components... have literally hundreds of parts to chose from, to make the gun "perfect" for them... just like many 1911 owners do to their base guns.

The market is big enough for everyone, just my :twocents:

Last edited:

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm with you on being a Glock fan, I have shot the M&P and that is a awsome weapon. Last night at work a friend of mine has been back and forth on what his new carry gun will be from J-frames to 1911's said he spent all day doing research and kept coming back to glock:dunno:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I think they make the greatest combat pistol out there. Why change it?

You know toilet paper hasn't change much in the last 200 years, if it gets the job done, why change.

After all, hope and change has proven that isn't not all its cracked up to be.

I see what you did there...................:rockwoot:

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Glock Perfection is or was their sales pitch. My guess is they don't see a need to further develop their product because it is already perfect.

Besides looking at the price of a SCAR, I can't really afford any radical new designs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Could be Arrogance, could be they don't think anyone has caught up yet.

I think the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" is a good way to let the competition fly right by when they catch up and improve. And being in catch up mode doesn't usually work very well (see Chrysler & GM).
    Bingo.

It's that germanish mindset. German cars today are utter crap. They thought, oh hey we're the best, so we don't need to put r/d in our cars, just slap the newest greatest things on them and look 3 or 4 years ago the american's surpassed germany in reliability of cars.

They think they're the best and it will come back and get them.

Top Bottom