Is concealing ever supposed to be comfortable...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I have carried a 12 ft tape measure clipped to my belt for years. Never notice it till I need it. BUT if I put a PF9 in a DeSantis fitted leather holster in the same place I am dying to be rid of it in a couple hours. I salute those who carry guns on belts for long periods of time. Myself, I pocket carry.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    I carry an all steel 1911 in a CrossBreed SuperTuck all day and forget that it is even on my hip.

Use a good heavy gun belt, get pants that fit with a gun inside the waistband, get a holster that works. The belt will spread the weight of the gun around your waist, the properly sized pants won't bind, the holster will carry a large/heavy gun securely without shifting.

^^^^^^^^^THIS THIS THIS THIS THIIIIIIIIISSSS!!!!! ^^^^^^^^

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I bought a cheap Uncle Mikes iwb for my xd 45 and its the most comfortable holster I have ever owned. I can wear it all day and barely notice it.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Do you need the link to the belt myself & darkkevin have again? He's had his for a few years & it's taking his abuse. It's very affordable.
    Even when I grab his 1911 when running around by myself, I forget it's there. 'Course that's OC, but it's hard to CC with my hips & style of clothes. And I'm kinda on the short side and weigh about 100 lbs less.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I used to carry a full sized 1911 cc, but found the controls stick in my side and the hammer ripped a hole in my tshirt.. I carry a Glock 21 now in a Don Hume iwb molded for a USP. Three mold for the HK controls give it just enough room. I found the Glock series holster to right even with ezox. Now I don't even notice it even with an 18 rounder. 6'5 280

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I CC a full size 1911, and the single biggest thing that helped me was a good holster. I use a Galco copy of the Crossbreed, and the cut of it keeps the gun from touching me (except for the muzzle, it pokes out a bit). Second is a good, stiff belt, and finally a pair of pants that will fit you and the entire rig comfortably.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I CC a Walther PPS 9mm in a Raven Concealment Phantom (with the tuckable C clips and offset wings) at about 5:00-5:30 position. I'm also 120 lbs and about 5'5"-ish, but it is comfortable enough for me to wear all day and not be too bothered by it. I have a full-blown 1.5" single-piece leather gun belt to go along with it, though. The belt makes all the difference.

If I was going to sit in a car for a long while I would probably use my bellyband. The 1" thick PPS goes very well with the low-profile bellyband. In either holster I can wear a single small tee shirt and be completely concealed unless bending over too much. I have never dressed around my gun.

I think that CC might be a little more concealed when you're a short skinny bugger, but it isn't much more comfortable (less tactical cushioning around the waist). The major downside is that the only really concealable position for me is near the small of my back, because the curvature of the spine combined with clothing hides the bulge very well. If I try to carry at my 3:00 you would think I was deformed at birth with a huge misshaped hip, and that's with my 1 inch thick PPS.

I don't think I could ever pull off a full-size pistol CC, maybe at the small of back position but it would be dependent on certain clothes.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    With my XD in a Kholster and an untucked shirt, I rarely print at all. I have mine set so that the grip is pretty well above the belt line too. 4 oclock-ish seems to keep it on my hip, yet not be too uncomfortable in a car.

Now, if I want to DEEP conceal, and I move the clips so the grip is in line with my belt(harder to grab, but easier to conceal) I don't print at ALL.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Do you need the link to the belt myself & darkkevin have again? He's had his for a few years & it's taking his abuse. It's very affordable.
    Even when I grab his 1911 when running around by myself, I forget it's there. 'Course that's OC, but it's hard to CC with my hips & style of clothes. And I'm kinda on the short side and weigh about 100 lbs less.

You know me T I OC 99% of the time anyway but sometimes CC is demanded by circumstances.

I'll take that link again but I remember it was pretty dang expensive (the belt was good quality though). I got a good quality wide leather belt from Walmart believe it or not which helped a lot.

I think a smaller more concealable gun will help as well as my tuckable holster.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    I carry a Glock 23 in a Blackhawk (size 3, I think) IWB holster and it's very comfortable. It sits comfortably no matter if I'm standing, driving, etc. I've got it at about 4 o'clock. I'm not a string bean, but I'm not a heavy guy (6'1, 180).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I agree with the above posts. With the right clothing and holster even a fullsize can be concealed with jeans and a teeshirt comfortably all day. I find if I carry too far back even a short 30 minute ride in a car can be bad, but in just the right spot I can have it all day in meetings, traveling and working with zero issues. You can almost forget it is there.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was on a holster safari for many years. My hunt is over. I have three ISWB holsters that I use depending on my clothes for the day: 3-Speed, Remora and White Hat/Cross Breed.

Stay safe,
    Vv

Top Bottom