• ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    local shops vs buds

Local shops dont like dealing with buds because they undercut their price and drop ship their items .,..essentially the gun shop owners get mad because buds calls up ruger (for example) and tells them to ship the gun to beech grove firearms...instead of getting some profit on a gun sale they end up doing for buds what they would have to do for themselves for less money....elmores charges 100 from buds and if it is drop shipped they wont receive it and send it back...beware...buds is a good place but you have to talk with your gun shop before going with them....could really bite you...some shops charge a higher transfer fee if they have the item being shipped in stock...if i am using buds then i have it sent to bzgunz in plainfield $15 transfer ...no crap from lgs and none of the "we could have got that cheaper" and then you look on the shelf and it is 75 higher plus tax....just my :twocents:
    Apparently you have little knowledge of business economics.

You really don't have any idea of everything involved in a gun shop receiving a firearm, do you? Its not all about just you.

Even after the 4473 and phone call is made, its not all done.

This response isn't a flame, but if you don't have the necessary knowledge to form an informed opinion, you really don't have the requisite background to offer an opinion upon any particular LGS's placement of value upon any service.....including a transfer.

But riddle me this: How come a number of LGSs won't do business with Bud's?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Many lgs's are either charging more for a transfer from them or not taking them at all!
    Besides all the problems dealing with them, they are starting to lose a lot of business to them and the local shops are getting sick of it . Especially if/when they can get you the same gun for close to the same price when you consider shipping charges and transfer fee.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    m&p 9mm at LGS = 449 + tax = 480 dollars.

m&p 9mm from PSA last week = 399 + xfer = 415 dollars.

is it hard to blame the consumer for wanting the best deal possible?

i now its not buds, but its the point of LGS and their pricing as opposed to not being competetive in the electronic world we live in. it is certainly not like 20 years ago when you just drove to a few shops to see who could out-do who on a firearm. now we just hop on our smart phone and have access to hundreds of sellers at the tip of a finger.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    The problem for me is that paying even like $20 more at a LGS would be difficult since I'm in such a tight spot. Otherwise I wouldn't really mind (IF I had a choice).

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The problem for me is that paying even like $20 more at a LGS would be difficult since I'm in such a tight spot. Otherwise I wouldn't really mind (IF I had a choice).

What gun are you looking for?
    No offense but if $20 is going to break you then you probably shouldn't be buying guns! How will you buy ammo? Or range time? ( by the way, if you purchase from ITP they will give you a free half hour on the range and 10% off any ammo at the same time.
    If you do buy from Buds, make sure you find a FFL that will do the transfer and ask what the transfer fee is. ( and make sure to tell them that it is coming from Buds. As mentioned before, many dealers won't even mess with Buds at all and those that will, will usually charge more for a transfer from them than any other seller.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I completely get why the LGS would want to charge more or not take transfers from the large online sellers. But that is very short sighted in my opinion. The internet has completely altered EVERY aspect of consumer purchases. If the traditional LGS won't fill the market demand (someone to handle the transfer for a nominal fee) some other business will. They would be better served by trying to offer BETTER customer service and personal attention than fighting against what customers are looking for.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    What gun are you looking for?
    No offense but if $20 is going to break you then you probably shouldn't be buying guns! How will you buy ammo? Or range time? ( by the way, if you purchase from ITP they will give you a free half hour on the range and 10% off any ammo at the same time.
    If you do buy from Buds, make sure you find a FFL that will do the transfer and ask what the transfer fee is. ( and make sure to tell them that it is coming from Buds. As mentioned before, many dealers won't even mess with Buds at all and those that will, will usually charge more for a transfer from them than any other seller.

None taken. It won't "break me," but it wouldn't help at all. I like to plan things really carefully when I'm making big purchases. So I have factored in all that other stuff, and I try to choose the lowest prices I can so I can get it all and not worry about it. Though, I probably shouldn't be buying a gun right now lol. If I don't do it now, though, I probably won't be able to do it until next year or many years depending on if I get into school or not. :(

Looking for a stainless CZ 75B.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    None taken. It won't "break me," but it wouldn't help at all. I like to plan things really carefully when I'm making big purchases. So I have factored in all that other stuff, and I try to choose the lowest prices I can so I can get it all and not worry about it. Though, I probably shouldn't be buying a gun right now lol. If I don't do it now, though, I probably won't be able to do it until next year or many years depending on if I get into school or not. :(

Looking for a stainless CZ 75B.

I get it! Everyone does or should look for the best deal possible, I look for bargains and usually will only make a purchase if I feel that I'm getting a good deal. On the other hand, 20 bucks either way isn't worth a trip across town unless it's to support your favorite retailer. Also with a gun like what you are looking for, most shops can take 20 bucks off or give you some other deal, like a holster or $ off of ammo or other accessories.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I get it! Everyone does or should look for the best deal possible, I look for bargains and usually will only make a purchase if I feel that I'm getting a good deal. On the other hand, 20 bucks either way isn't worth a trip across town unless it's to support your favorite retailer. Also with a gun like what you are looking for, most shops can take 20 bucks off or give you some other deal, like a holster or $ off of ammo or other accessories.

True, and to not have to deal with FFL would be nice. I'd definitely like to form a relationship with an LGS, though. It's just that there aren't any really near me. I'm COMPLETELY new to the gun world, so I didn't know they budge or throw things in like that. Thanks!

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Figured I would post here instead of starting a new thread.

I just ordered a Ruger 22/45 Mark III from budsgunshop.com.

Ordered on Wednesday afternoon and the handgun arrived at my FFL here in Lafayette by Friday at Noon. Buds Gun Shop shipped UPS 2nd Day Air for free.

The FFL I selected was a "Preferred FFL" through Buds. I did not have to coordinate any sending of paperwork/forms because of this which significantly simplified the process.

Firearm arrived new in box as described and at an excellent price point.

I wouldn't hesitate to order from Buds Gun Shop again.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I ordered a M&P 22lr pistol on the 24th and it was attempted to be delivered yesterday. Not too shaby for all the holiday & panic buying.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I just had a very good transaction with Buds.

With tranfer fee is was $100 cheaper than the only lgs that had
    one.

You would be an idiot not to save $100 if you could.

Jimmy

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    For educated buyers, who can follow simple website instructions, Bud's is a great experience. For the rest of you.......

Mister.Meow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I've purchased several guns from them and have had great results. I've had one return that I'm still working on. They are very slow. I bought a 50rnd mag for my 10/22 that wouldn't even hold 6 rounds before jamming. Other than that you can't beat there prices. Just hoping my last two purchases from last week get shipped quickly!

Amsdorf

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Missouri

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Hopefully someone can educate me so I am no longer ignorant on the inner workings of LGS and transfers. First, what is the typical profit margin on, say, a new Glock 22 at a LGS? I was under the impression that the profit margin is fairly low on new merchandise. Next, what is the cost to a LGS to transfer a gun for a customer? Is it just the paperwork and time to handle the transaction? If so, wouldn't the store be happy to at least get the $25-$35 whatever they charge for a transfer? It would also get a customer into the shop to hopefully sell them on accessories or ammo to go with the new purchase. I guess I'm just questioning how much of an impact it is on the LGS's profit to transfer for Bud's or whomever else. If the profit margin is low on new merchandise, and the store will get the transfer fee and an opportunity to sell the higher profit stuff like accessories, why would they be so upset about handling Bud's transfers?

Top Bottom