• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I went through race riots in high school in Indy in the 70's they were real and they were scary. I hope it does not happen here, but never say never.

Not sure where you went to school but we had a huge riot at Northwest in 67 or 68. Hard to remember If I was a junior or senior. Slept and had more than a few beers since then. It was racially motivated. Started at a football game between schools and was picked up again after school the following week.
    I learned a few of lifes valuable lessons during that scuffle. Those with the biggest mouths are usually the first to run.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It was me that said #7 and that was a guess based on conversations I have had with a history professor while repairing his HVAC system. I could be wrong but if memory serves his list put slavery at that number. He was not the only person that has said this and all were educated far beyond my level.
    As to the secession list of grievances I can not say.

Wonderful references. My plumber whose dad read a book one time disagrees with you.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Actually, its called the state fair. LOL

I think Morgan Freeman has it right:

http://youtu.be/GeixtYS-P3s

GeixtYS-P3s
    Been there lately? After 4pm and it looks just like the rest of the 38th Street outside the fence.

Us sourtherners forgive you guys. There are many patriots now in the state. The only reason disgraceful thing lately was Donnelly winning the election and a vote for him was a vote for Obama and enough people did not get that just like they did not in MO, MT, and ND.

I am willing to be more than a few descendants of union soldiers here think their kin would have rethought the fight if they were alive a month today. Especially with the riots we are discussing.
    I'm willing to bet more than a few descendants of both sides think perpetuating the division is beyond silly.

True but reality is that slavery was not the main issue but it is the one we hear about most often. It was maybe 7th on the list.
    Take away the issue of slavery and I bet there's no war.
    Actually Lincoln started it.

And if the war was over slavery ( it was not) look up who owned most of the slave ships. Hint it was not southerners.
    What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Are these what you are talking about?

Ordinances of Secession of the 13 Confederate States of America

On a high level reading, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, and Mississippi definitely mention protection of the institution of slavery as a primary reason for their secession. The others, if the provided ordinances are complete, not so much. On another level though, the .gov's refusal to uphold their part of the Constitutional bargain they mutually agreed to upon admission, should be reason enough for aggreived states to secede if so motivated.

Yes those are what I meant. I'm not that much of a civil war buff but my father is, so I've read those many time. I've never found any 6 specific causes mentioned more frequently than slavery even if I summon all my imagination and read between the lines.

Interestingly enough, some acquaintances of mine are renovating the house once occupied by Henry T Ellet in Port Gibson, MS. He was a lawyer who was part of the secession commission and collected signatures. They've found some of his documents that are of real historical importance RE civil war and as soon as the preservation is done my father and I are going to get to read them. Cool stuff.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Us sourtherners forgive you guys.

I don't understand, there is nothing to forgive.:dunno:

It was the South that was forgiven after its defeat.

Slavery/White Supremacy was the Cornerstone of the Civil War. The South said so, many times before, during and after the war.

Now, although history is a good teacher, it does show us that there will be no riots in Indianapolis, regardless of what happens in a criminal trial far from it.

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    My girlfriend has family in Sanford, not an inch over 200 feet from where the shooting happened. In INGO's professional opinion, should they get the hell outta dodge if there's an acquittal?

I would if I were them. Look on youtube and see what happened after the Rodney King verdict. It was a pretty cut and dry verdict for the police and the community rioted for several days causing death and destruction. To quote Dave Grossman "I think past behavior is a good way to predict future behavior".

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    If everyone is so worried about riots here in indiana, don't forget we have the right to be armed in public. I seriously doubt we have much to worry about but just in case, don't forget we can get permits to defend ourselves.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    The worst urban part of Indy is better than most of the best urban parts of Chicago.

It will be just fine in Indy. Rodney King? Nothing. Superbowl win? We're cool.

"Naptown" is surprisingly mature for a city.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why would anyone even consider living in Indy? I have never understood that. Heck I hate even going there and there is no way I would live there. If that is where someone wants to live then good on ya.
    I think you need to get out of the state of Indiana and stretch your legs, go visit East St. Louis, Toronto,ON Canada, New York's and Boston's warf districts, and even Miami and many other places.

Because of those towns above, some of Indy's worst places rates as a country club atmosphere.

LOL...

Showing your vintage there, chap...

...you meant Irvington.

-Paul

I think Kirk is referring to getting muzzle swept and questioned while carrying his firearm and the attitude that given to him on College Ave near the Ripple, while you're referring to David Stephenson in the 1920's around Irvington.:n00b:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Actually, its called the state fair. LOL

I think Morgan Freeman has it right:

I always respected Morgans Freeman's acting, because he is indeed one of the greats.

I remember the audio clip of this being played on the Bob & Tom Show and could not have been prouder of his comment, for this I wanted to stand up and clap, but instead gave a :yesway:'s up because I was driving the beer truck.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Why worry about having to be ready all of a sudden? I'm always ready. We always drive with doors locked and lock our home doors when we're there. I always carry and if someone tries to rip my door open at a stop light they'll be looking down the barrel of a .45 or .40 S&W. After seeing a white truck driver nearly stoned to death after he was pulled out of his truck in LA during the riots I've got no problem pulling the trigger on somebody stupid enough to open my door.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Technically I am white (Greek so I always check other, WTH I enjoy doing it) and in the early 70's I would play baseball in Watts. IMHO opinion the black gangs there would kill Whites, Greeks or Hispanics equally until dead. Same thing in East LA with the Hispanic gangs. I also found this to be true in The Bronx, Vegas, New Orleans, Atlanta, Seattle, Sacramento, Omaha, Wounded Knee and even Grand Forks, ND, but not because they didn't get along with other groups, it was because they enjoyed it AND they hated you.

I would not worry about riots, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is Darwinism at work, either you get it or you don't. I would say the OP gets it.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Wow, holy crap. The media and Hollywood is focused on Paula Dean as the big bad ###ist, meanwhile this is going on?
    The MSM will remain quiet about this...
    They don't want the whole nation to know that certain Democrat voters hate each other and are rabid racists.
    It doesn't fit their agenda of claiming that only Whites are racists.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Well if the expo is going on at the time of a verdict being given then it could be anyone's guess of what might happen in the downtown area.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Why? You must not be familiar with Indianapolis. Besides, the Zimmerman case is not an Indianapolis issue. Even when there was some small scale rioting many years ago in Indy, it was a local issue that spurred them. And as with most rioting, it was confined to a small area of the city.

I live in Indy, and I must say that as someone who actually lives and works here, it is laughable that someone would be worried about riots due to the Zimmerman verdict. Skedaddle? Really? Is that what rural and small town folks think of all day, how horrible the "big city" is and how everyone should be ready to flee at the first sign of trouble? Geez-O-Pete, it must be boring out there in the sticks!

:):

yes, it is very boring out in the sticks.

and i wouldn't have it any other way.:twocents:

Top Bottom