Is another manufacturer going to produce a .22 WMR automatic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I would like to get a PMR-30, however I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices they are going for now.

I do not understand why someone else hasn't recognized the demand & designed a competitor to it.

Any ideas?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I bought one at the Stout Field gun show a couple of years ago for $380, couldn't hit a thing with it. It has fixed sights, so you cannot adjust them. The plastic that the mags are made of, seemed like it was of the super cheap variety. I ended up selling mine just before last years panic for $550 with 5 boxes of ammo. Had I just hung on it a couple more months I may have been able to get over $1000 for it. Even at $350, I think they are a waste of money. I too wish someone else would make a higher quality semi-auto in .22 Mag.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I understand the draw from a capacity standpoint...

But when .22 WMR is roughly the same price as 9mm... Doesn't make much sense to me from an economic standpoint.

10+ years ago when it was much cheaper - THAT would've been the time for a PMR-30!

I held one at ITP 6 months ago or so. Didn't like the way it felt at all. I'd rather hold a Glock than the KT!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I understand the draw from a capacity standpoint...

But when .22 WMR is roughly the same price as 9mm... Doesn't make much sense to me from an economic standpoint.

10+ years ago when it was much cheaper - THAT would've been the time for a PMR-30!

I held one at ITP 6 months ago or so. Didn't like the way it felt at all. I'd rather hold a Glock than the KT!

All true statements. I would much rather own any Glock over a Kel-Tec. And for the price of .22 Mag. ammo, you would be better off with a 9mm Glock or FNS.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Production and quantities sold are what keeps the gun manufacturers in business. If there were a huge market for .22 mag. semi-auto pistols there would be plenty of models to choose from. As far as the argument about why shoot a .22 mag. when 9 mm is just as cheap. I heard that same argument years ago when the .22 mag. was first introduced except it was the .22 Hornet instead of 9 mm. Now the Hornet is about $50.-$60. a box and just about obsolete. Nobody complains about the cost and performance of the .17 HMR. Why buy a .17 HMR when you can shoot 9mm just as cheap? All I'm doing is repeating what has be said 1,000's of times on hundred's of forums.
    I love shooting the .22 mag., I have 2 rifles and 3 revolvers in .22mag. I love shooting the 9mm. I have S&W's from 3 generations and 2 plastic M&P's in 9mm. But comparing them is like comparing apples and cow chips. I would like to have a Marlin Camp rifle if I could find one at a decent price and would be the first in line to buy a quality .22 mag. semi-auto. JMO

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have the Grendal p-30 have shot the AMT auto and the pmr-30 and they all have one thing in common. They do not work very well. I believe the length of the 22 mag case tends to feed strange. All have failure to feed issues with ammo they do not like. The pm rand Grendal liked Winchester 40 grain rounds and the amt did not like much at all.

Since the the round was mainly used in pumps/levers/bolts/revolvers then into autos it just must not be a great fit for the normal blowback auto. The Grendal p-30 and the pmr-30 were designed by the same person. I do. Not feel much has changed in the setup between the two at all. I did not break down the pmr-30 but from casual shooting loading and a quick clean/inspect it looked to be the same gun in different package. I did not check to see if the mags were interchangeable.

I have heard of the 10-22 mag being ammo picky and that is a very forgiving action for feeding and extracting.

Personal opinion your mileage my vary.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Production and quantities sold are what keeps the gun manufacturers in business. If there were a huge market for .22 mag. semi-auto pistols there would be plenty of models to choose from. As far as the argument about why shoot a .22 mag. when 9 mm is just as cheap. I heard that same argument years ago when the .22 mag. was first introduced except it was the .22 Hornet instead of 9 mm. Now the Hornet is about $50.-$60. a box and just about obsolete. Nobody complains about the cost and performance of the .17 HMR. Why buy a .17 HMR when you can shoot 9mm just as cheap? All I'm doing is repeating what has be said 1,000's of times on hundred's of forums.
    I love shooting the .22 mag., I have 2 rifles and 3 revolvers in .22mag. I love shooting the 9mm. I have S&W's from 3 generations and 2 plastic M&P's in 9mm. But comparing them is like comparing apples and cow chips. I would like to have a Marlin Camp rifle if I could find one at a decent price and would be the first in line to buy a quality .22 mag. semi-auto. JMO

I was not knocking the .22 Mag, in fact I love it too. And if I come across a decently priced Smith 48 or 648 I'll be all over it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have never heard of that one, googled it, it is a carbine in .22 Mag. Interesting indeed.

Yeah, a carbine version of the PMR-30. With a telescoping stock and flip up sights, it would be the perfect little carbine for lots of things. Same mags, etc as the pistol.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    The RMR-30 interests me as well for the same reason, magazine & ammo sharing.

I like my 9mms, as well as my other calibers, it is fun to have different toys.

If it were strictly the economics of things we would all just have 1 caliber, 1 rifle & 1 handgun.

Mwiseman6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    When I heard of the PMR-30 I was all about it. 30-rounds of 22 mag, SWEET!! Since then I discovered that 22 mag from a short barrel is no better than a high velocity 22lr, like a CCI Velocitor or Stinger. 22WMR is also more expensive, louder and has more muzzle flash. I now don't see the purpose of a 22wmr pistol. What I would like to see is a 22lr pistol with a 30rd mag. They all seem to be only 12 rounds or less.

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Screen-shot-2011-04-13-at-9.05.57-PM.jpg

Top Bottom