KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    In all seriousness, the US Navy has these guys, they're called SEALS. They do things like sneak aboard boats and KILL EVERYONE NOT DRESSED LIKE THEY ARE. That would make a point, however it takes will to make that kind of point. Sun Tzu would approve, but I don't think anyone at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave has that kind of will, or desire.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The Iranian Navy can use international waters as was mentioned above by Knut.
    The ONLY significance is, that the Iranian Navy is typically a "brown water" Navy.
    It has almost zilch experience being a "blue water" Navy.
    Their ships are not designed for endurance, the do not have a naval supply system at sea or on land, crew and food limitations, the list goes on.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The Iranian Navy can use international waters as was mentioned above by Knut.
    The ONLY significance is, that the Iranian Navy is typically a "brown water" Navy.
    It has almost zilch experience being a "blue water" Navy.
    Their ships are not designed for endurance, the do not have a naval supply system at sea or on land, crew and food limitations, the list goes on.

This ^^^

I see this turning into our Coast Guard or some east coast Fire Department having to go out there and rescue the crew from both ships ... assuming they make it this far. It's a loooong way across the Atlantic.

Come to think of it, it's a loooong way to get to the Atlantic. I would like to amend my prediction and say that the Iranian navy will be hijacked by Somali pirates.

Meh! Cuba, Venezuela, et al will help them out. They hardly have the resources to keep their public supplied with toilet paper but you can bet if they think they can help Iran intimidate the US, they'll help them out.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    This ^^^

I see this turning into our Coast Guard or some east coast Fire Department having to go out there and rescue the crew from both ships ... assuming they make it this far. It's a loooong way across the Atlantic.

Come to think of it, it's a loooong way to get to the Atlantic. I would like to amend my prediction and say that the Iranian navy will be hijacked by Somali pirates.

Already made it past ZA, where they refueled and re-supplied. (South Africa is a major Iranian trading partner.)

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    6a00d834515edc69e2015390a02fbb970b-500wi

...or not.

I say we invite the Iranian "fleet" into Port of Newark for some shore leave in NYC. Let a special envoy of USN PO3 escourts introduce the Iranians to hookers and booze and US/Iranian relations will never have been better.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In all seriousness, the US Navy has these guys, they're called SEALS. They do things like sneak aboard boats and KILL EVERYONE NOT DRESSED LIKE THEY ARE. That would make a point, however it takes will to make that kind of point. Sun Tzu would approve, but I don't think anyone at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave has that kind of will, or desire.

I would hope the POTUS wouldn't undertake an intentional act of war against a nation in international waters. That the type of "will," that's a good thing.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Meh! Cuba, Venezuela, et al will help them out. They hardly have the resources to keep their public supplied with toilet paper but you can bet if they think they can help Iran intimidate the US, they'll help them out.
    This could be tricky though because the Iranian "brown water' navy needs all the toilet paper they can carry.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Another thing: When we discuss helicopter-carrying transports, we generally think of this:

USS_Wasp_%28LHD-1%29_Osprey_2.jpg

By contrast, this is the actual ship in question, which is a tanker with a 76mm OTO-Malera and a couple of 23mm Russian guns, and provision for a couple of helicopters:

shamsara20130820131718910.jpg

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I doubt the USN will pay any attention at all to them. What's the threat? It they actually come close to territorial waters any of our CG/DDG/FFG could take them out without even getting underway. Not to mention an SSN. They would be abandoning ship before they even knew we were there. Tacair is also quite effective. I am not concerned in the least.

Top Bottom