• Status
    Not open for further replies.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Hi all!

A few weeks ago my wife woke me up at 5 am saying "someone is trying to break into our house". After only a few seconds of thinking she was paranoid and telling her to go back to sleep, our front door came crashing in. Of course, I jumped up and grabbed the only thing close to the bed, a small LED flashlight. I walked to the top of the stairs (our bedroom is on the second floor) and as I approached the stairwell, I could begin to see someone standing just inside our door.

To my surprise, it was a well dressed and clean cut 25'ish year old white male. I asked him who he was and what he was doing and he replied that he and his brother were coming in. By this time, my wife was on the phone with 911 and since we live in downtown Indy, the police were not far away. I kept my light in his face and he never really attempted to move from where I originally stopped him.

Once the police arrived, my wife met them at the back door. They let their german shepherd go inside the house and I had a front row seat as it charged in and took the guy down. The officers followed and had him cuffed within a few seconds.

Apparently the guy was just drunk and at the wrong house. He didn't mean us any harm but the whole event got me thinking.

We have had a few lawn mowers stolen from us, along with the occasional graffiti tags around the neighborhood, but I never expected a home invasion while we were actually home at the time.

Growing up, my dad and older brother were big into hunting, skeet shooting, reloading and all around 'outdoorsy' stuff. I was more into team sports and computers. Although at one time they had a pretty impressive arsenal of firepower, all I managed to get from them was a .22 target pistol (which was in storage at the time of the break in). I don't know a lot about guns or anticipate ever owning a large stockpile of weapons.

So why am I at INGO?

To make new friends, get some information and upgrade my firepower. I have enjoyed reading everyones posts over the past couple weeks and look forward to participating as much as I can.

Tyler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Sadly, it often takes an experience like this to awaken folks to the reality that we truly are vulnerable. Preparation will take you a long way, and will help you and your wife regain the sense of security you've lost. Once your personal space has been violated, it can take a long time to rebuild it. But, you've come to a great place to educate yourself on safety and self-defense. Welcome, and good luck.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Welcome!
    Sorry to hear about your ordeal, keep in mind, it could have been worse.

As "they" say, you've come to the right place!

Ask anything, and somebody will have an answer.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Welcome Tyler! So sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad it was just an idiot at the wrong house. You will what you are looking for here.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Welcome to INGO, glad it was just some drunk kid and not someone wanting to do you harm!! Your doing the right thing, get some training get a gun and a LTCH. glad your here.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Welcome to the site! :)

In addition to the above recommendations, I recommend your wife get some training, too. You never know when she might be at home without you and it be more than just a drunk kid. A few of the trainers here do women-only classes, if that's more her speed. :) And when you get your LTCH, make sure she gets one, too. Just in case. :)

Enjoy!

bat54r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hello and welcome to :ingo: Glad to hear everything worked out OK. This is a great site with lots of great people and tons of info. Find a weapon that suits you and your wife, get some training for the both of you and both get your LTCH's.
    Good luck,
    -Bret-

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Welcome to the site! :)

In addition to the above recommendations, I recommend your wife get some training, too. You never know when she might be at home without you and it be more than just a drunk kid. A few of the trainers here do women-only classes, if that's more her speed. :) And when you get your LTCH, make sure she gets one, too. Just in case. :)

Enjoy!

My wife is definitely interested in doing some training as well. She is currently anti-gun, but only because she was raised that way. For her, it is more of a fear of the unknown with guns and once she becomes more familiar, she will be more accepting.

The other concern with her is that she has MS and is (occasionally) bound to a wheel chair. I am trying to convince her that this is all the more reason to have and know how to use firearms but it's been a bit of a challenge.

Anyone have recommendations on a good firearms instructor?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom