Interesting message from Bone Frog. Federal 124 gr HST discontinued.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Rape is also commonly used as "pillage, pillaging, plundering - the act of stealing valuable things from a place".

All I said was that raising their prices is not akin to a violent act.

I guess I'm not PC enough for this "#me too" day and age...sorry.

Should I take your post as a micro-aggression and look for a safe space?

No, you should take my post as a friend saying to another friend, "Hey man, think about what you are saying."

It's typically a tactic of the left to claim something as an act of violence when it clearly isn't ("micro-aggression" being a prime example). Doing so minimizes the horror of actual violence, which is a bad thing no matter what your political leanings.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I used to carry HST but switched to gold dots when the 50 Rd GD box availability became better.

Even though I am a "qualified person", I'm really glad I did so. This news puts me where I will buy comparables of another brand rather than federal if possible.

Bad memories of the "LE only" manufacturing practices of the Clinton years I suppose.

I am pretty sure Federal and Speer are owned by the same parent company.

The packaging is simply a way the segment the market. No different then any other industry. I work in agriculture so I see it everyday. The same chemicals we use for pest control in crops is much much cheaper for farmers then the same products used by homeowners and sold at WalMart.

My LGS still had access to 50 round boxes of HST last time I checked. Obviously not online prices but still cheaper then the 20 round boxes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, do you think, "just your opinion" we will still be able to buy the 147 gr HST 50 round boxes for less than $20 a box? I bought several from Bone Frog a while back. Didn't think I would have any problems, at least until the next presidential election.

I've no idea. I strongly suspect it's never going to get any cheaper, though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    SG Ammo has some HST in stock right now. 124, 124+p and 147 grain. They don't have my favorite, 147 +P.

Just FYI, the +P is pure marketing in this particular instance (147 gr). It's about 50fps difference at the muzzle and the same bullet. It exists only because they know some folks want "+P" so they make a +P.

This is not true across the HST lineup, others (and particularly the .45, IIRC) have actual differences.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Just FYI, the +P is pure marketing in this particular instance (147 gr). It's about 50fps difference at the muzzle and the same bullet. It exists only because they know some folks want "+P" so they make a +P.

This is not true across the HST lineup, others (and particularly the .45, IIRC) have actual differences.

I like a little extra oomph, particularly out of my P365 due to its shorter barrel. Might not make a huge difference, I feel better about even a little increased velocity out of that short barrel.

Speaking of oomph, I just tried some Underwood 147 +P+ Gold Dots out of my M&P Compact 2.0. I was expecting a lot more recoil, but I can't really tell much difference between the Underwood and the HST 147 +P. I've seen good gelatin results with the 147 Gold Dots driven north of 1100 fps, so it will probably be my new carry load in the 2.0 M&P. Think I'll stick with HST in my little P365, though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like a little extra oomph, particularly out of my P365 due to its shorter barrel. Might not make a huge difference, I feel better about even a little increased velocity out of that short barrel.

Speaking of oomph, I just tried some Underwood 147 +P+ Gold Dots out of my M&P Compact 2.0. I was expecting a lot more recoil, but I can't really tell much difference between the Underwood and the HST 147 +P. I've seen good gelatin results with the 147 Gold Dots driven north of 1100 fps, so it will probably be my new carry load in the 2.0 M&P. Think I'll stick with HST in my little P365, though.

HST standard 147 passes all the FBI tests from short barrels through SMG barrels. It's a remarkably consistent performer. If you've got a chrono, compare them. I bet you'll find even less difference when there's less barrel for powder burn. You might find a bit more difference in SMG lengths, but I don't have a "long gun" 9mm to test it myself nor do I know anyone who has tested it.

I don't know what envelope the Gold Dots are designed for. Remember bare gel and denim aren't the only tests, nor the only ones that matter. Make sure they perform well in auto glass test as well, a bullet that fragments on that test will almost certainly fragment on bone strikes as well.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

No to to mention that most of the +P versions will turn that extra velocity into *reduced* penetration in soft media.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    No to to mention that most of the +P versions will turn that extra velocity into *reduced* penetration in soft media.

And insufficient velocity will give you expensive ball rounds. I should get about the same velocity from +P ammo out of my P365 as I do with standard pressure in my full size M&Ps.
    I like to be in the middle of the expansion window, not the lower or upper ends.

Besides, it mostly depends on bullet construction. I don't see anybody doubting the effectiveness of an old tech SJHP .357 magnum 125 grain bullet at 1450 fps.

Top Bottom