Interesting happening with a cop. Maybe.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Speaking in generalities, Real cops don't wear hats that say police, nor would a detective give enough of a **** to follow you home. If he did he'd call for a uniformed guy to make the stop.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This morning I drove to the post office. On the way back I pick up a grey unmarked police car. He follows very close. No lights on or anything. Ao I go home. He follows me home and into my driveway. I stop short of my garage and sit there for a bit. So does he. So since he's just going to sit there I go ahead and get out and walk back to him. He asked if I knew why he was there. I said I had no idea. Cause I didn't. He said I ran a stop sign downtown. Okay, maybe I did. I don't know. But why not pull me over earlier? Why follow me home and into my driveway? Why not get out of the car to come up to me. I've always been told never to get out unless he tells me too. No written warning, no ticket. No uniform And was wearing a ball cap that said police. So, was he really a cop or if he was, why behave so unprofessionally?

jason

If he did not properly ID himself I would do the following.
    Phone pic of him.
    Pic of his plates if possible.
    Report it right away if he fails all the above.

Did you run a stop???

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -snip-
    He said I ran a stop sign downtown. Okay, maybe I did. I don't know. But why not pull me over earlier? Why follow me home and into my driveway?
    -snip-
    jason

Making up something you supposedly did some miles back is one trick they use to justify stopping you for no reason so they can go on a fishing expedition.

I had this happen to me on I-65 some years back South of Lafayette by the Indiana State Police.

When asked why I was stopped, first the story was I didn't signal a lane change.
    Yet I DID signal every lane change and when asked where I didn't, I was told a mile marker that was 5 miles back.
    All of my turn signals were in perfect working order.

Then when I politely insisted I did signal every lane change, the story CHANGED that a car of my description was reported as "all over the road".
    My car was a factory Royal Plum colored 1967 Chevy Caprice with a top in primer which I was in the process of restoring.
    I DOUBT there was any other car in the vicinity that matched the description other than me.

I politely insisted that "it certainly wasn't me".

Then the story changed to a THIRD "reason".
    That I wasn't wearing a seat belt.
    1967's only had lap belts, which I pulled up my shirt and showed him that i INDEED WAS wearing my seat belt.

From the time the officer came to my car, I removed my sunglasses in his presence and unwaveringly looked him straight in the eyes.

THE ENTIRE time he's "engaging" me, i could see his eyes behind his sunglasses darting all over the inside of my car looking for something.

It was clearly a "fishing expedition" of some sort.

In the end he let me go and acted like he was doing me a favor by giving me a Warning Ticket for not signalling a lane change.
    He knew it was bogus as well as I did, but he had to make up some lie for his report as to why he pulled me over.

The entire experience was like something out of "The Twilight Zone", as this Indiana State Police officer was making up a reality that didn't exist.

It was then that I realized that this officer could have even shot me, and covered it up with whatever story he wanted to make up.

This type of low class thing was something I would've NEVER expected from an organization with the professional reputation of the Indiana State Police.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I called town hall on Monday and told them about it. They didn't know who he is either. They said if I see him again to call the Sheriff.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I saw a crown Vic at Emerson and 465 today that had the Indiana sheriff fund plate and he had plate readers I the back of his trunk. When I went back by the bridge he was pulled up to a abandoned truck bumper to bumper with his blinkers on. No strobes.
    These guys are everywhere I guess

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Next time you see him and he follows you, call the police and remain on the phone getting him to follow you. As you're driving , report where you are so he can get pulled over. File an official complaint and possibly get a restraining order if you can for harassment.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Next time you see him and he follows you, call the police and remain on the phone getting him to follow you. As you're driving , report where you are so he can get pulled over. File an official complaint and possibly get a restraining order if you can for harassment.

Make sure you're using your bluetooth headset while doing so.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Why a Bluetooth? If I suspect someone of not being a real officer, I'm using whatever means necessary to communicate with 911. I'll use smoke signals and Morse code if necessary.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Why a Bluetooth? If I suspect someone of not being a real officer, I'm using whatever means necessary to communicate with 911. I'll use smoke signals and Morse code if necessary.
    I think the idea was not to alert the imposter that you're calling the real police on them. You've not much of a 'case' against them if when the police show up the imposter is nowhere to be found and you could look a little crazy for calling in somebody that maybe just happened to be going to the same general area as yourself :).

Just my two cents.

Top Bottom