INTERACTIONS WITH POLICE WHILE LAWFULLY CARRYING.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Tell you what if i was a cop and pulled someone over an they had a gun i surely would ask to inspect for my safety .Think about it would you trust a pink piece of paper from someone you have never seen before on the side of a road .Most cops are like garbage men cleaning up the human garbage that they come in contact with so don't be offened .

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Tell you what if i was a cop and pulled someone over an they had a gun i surely would ask to inspect for my safety .Think about it would you trust a pink piece of paper from someone you have never seen before on the side of a road .Most cops are like garbage men cleaning up the human garbage that they come in contact with.

I'll have to disagree with this. Inspect for your own safety? Are you expecting it to discharge on its own due to poor quality? As long as the firearm never leaves the holster (or glovebox), everyone stays safe. When someone (possibly the officer) starts to coonfinger a loaded firearm that they are not familiar, that's when you run into problems.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Tell you what if i was a cop and pulled someone over an they had a gun i surely would ask to inspect for my safety .Think about it would you trust a pink piece of paper from someone you have never seen before on the side of a road .Most cops are like garbage men cleaning up the human garbage that they come in contact with so don't be offened .

Which without RAS would be illegal and unsafe. The pink piece of paper shouldn't be required in the first place. I am glad you are not a LEO.

LEO: Are you carrying a firearm?
    Me: Yes
    LEO: Cool me too, anyway the reason I stopped you is you failed to signal your turn at that stop sign back there.

Is the correct and legal example. Unholstering and handling a firearm on the side of the road is a stupid and unnecessary risk to the officer, me and everyone else in the area. The safest place for my firearm is on my person in it's holster.

Put on your flame suit, you're going to need it.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

How will inspecting someone's firearm see to your safety? Are you going to confiscate it if it doesn't have a safety or if there's a round chambered? How exactly will taking a firearm from someone with a license to carry and finger-banging it for a couple minutes do anything at all for your safety?

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Why is it when having an interaction with police while legally carrying your weapon they demand your gun even after you have shown them your concealed carry permit?

Probably because Indiana does not issue a concealed carry permit. :dunno:

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    I guess i should have said hold said firearm till traffic stop complete for my own safety because i don't know who i'm dealing with ,sorry i guess i am not Johny Cochrane I also think that a Ltch should be more like a DL or credit card then a cheap piece of pink paper

Last edited:

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I guess i should have said hold said firearm till traffic stop complete ,sorry i guess i am not Johny Cochrane.

Which once again, without RAS would be illegal, could result in lawsuits against the police department, personal suits against you and remains unsafe. Leave the firearm where it is and write whatever ticket/warning is required.

Without RAS you would be committing a crime and become a criminal. What is unclear about this?

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart

If you were a cop, and took my gun to inspect it for your safety, because you can't trust a pink piece of paper. Does this mean I get to take your sidearm and inspect it for my own safety. Think about it, how can I trust a shiny piece of metal formed into a badge? I don't know your firearm qualifications, or how proficient you are.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    If you were a cop, and took my gun to inspect it for your safety, because you can't trust a pink piece of paper. Does this mean I get to take your sidearm and inspect it for my own safety. Think about it, how can I trust a shiny piece of metal formed into a badge? I don't know your firearm qualifications, or how proficient you are.
    Good point ,but if car said Indiana State Police on the side i think i would trust them imo..

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Good point ,but if car said Indiana State Police on the side i think i would trust them imo..

Why? Police officers are humans, just like you, humans are fallible. Do you trust everyone based on their appearance? What if the person who stopped you is a criminal that just killed a LEO and took their effects? I value LEO's and am glad they are around, but they have no right to disarm me unless I have behaved in a way that provides them with RAS.

The handling of my firearm has no place in a traffic stop unless I have done something illegal with it. I want them to go home safe at night, but frankly I want me to go home safe at night more. Leave the firearms alone and write me my ticket.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart

Your missing the point, just because a person has a badge, and drives a police car does not make them an instant firearms expert, same thing goes for the pink piece of paper. The safest thing to do for all parties involved is just leave the guns holstered, and not start coon fingering guns on the side of the road.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Your missing the point, just because a person has a badge, and drives a police car does not make them an instant firearms expert, same thing goes for the pink piece of paper. The safest thing to do for all parties involved is just leave the guns holstered, and not start coon fingering guns on the side of the road.
    Your right ,i'm glad im not a cop that has to deal with this .

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Deal with what? Being around other armed people? When you leave your house you deal with this on a daily basis.
    No I don't pull anyone over on the side of a road,an stick my head next to a car with individuals i have never met ,seen or had conversations with .The only reason i replied to this post was i tried to put myself in a cops shoes on the side of a road by myself an after walking up to a car finding out said car has a weapon in it that can if used against me kill me .You got to remember most of the people cop deal with are not the pillars of society . good nite:)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    No I don't pull anyone over on the side of a road,an stick my head next to a car with individuals i have never met ,seen or had conversations with .The only reason i replied to this post was i tried to put myself in a cops shoes on the side of a road by myself an after walking up to a car finding out said car has a weapon in it that can if used against me kill me .You got to remember most of the people cop deal with are not the pillars of society . good nite:)

there is a thing called totality of the circumstances when a cop is interacting with folks. a car full of shady characters in a shady location and one of them hollering out that they have a gun is slightly different than a calm and collected individual stating "sir I am armed and licensed to be such" during a low-key encounter.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

Once again you are missing the point. A trip to Walmart, a restaurant, a gas station etc, any of these can result in you standing within 2 feet of person whom you don't know and is armed. Do you ask them to hand over their firearm for you to inspect for your safety? Protip, I don't recommend it. Sleep well.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have been stopped 4 times sense I got my LTCH and on all occasions save one the

officer has taken my handgun unloaded it while barrel sweeping me and my passengers. I

don't know about you but I think 3 out of 4 times is 3 times too many. All of the

officers were notified right away that I was carrying and that I have my LTCH

but only 1 did not take my firearm.

And they will keep doing it, till someone makes them stop. How about making a complaint. Have some law cases to quote.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I've never heard of an officer dismantling a gun. If it's illegal I'm sure they would drop the magazine or otherwise unload it to make it safe but to do otherwise would be asking for some serious liability issues. I can only imagine his supervisor getting a bill for some gunsmithing. I think there's more here than is being told.

While I've had no issues with LEO's while carrying. Hopefully I never do... :rockwoot:

I have read on other forums where a LEO has unloaded the chamber, unloaded the mag, remove the slide from the frame. Then the story goes, he laid the parts in the back seat with the ammo on the other side. Then told the owner to not touch it till he (the officer) was out of site.

I think someone was wound a little to tight that day. :dunno:

Top Bottom