INTERACTIONS WITH POLICE WHILE LAWFULLY CARRYING.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Why is it when having an interaction with police while legally carrying your weapon they demand your gun even after you have shown them your concealed carry permit? The fact is a lot of officers especially younger ones don't have experience with any weapons beyond their issue sidearm. Then during the act of surrendering your weapon you and the officer break several rules of safe gun handling when your weapons muzzle covers you and any passengers in your vehicle. We undergo a background check when we get our carry permits to be verified a proper person. A legally carried weapon is not grounds to be ordered from your vehicle and have to stand on side of road with hands on hood like a criminal. I have even heard of some cops disassembling a permit holder's pistol and giving them back a pile of parts. For all we know they are logging our guns make, model, and serial number building a de facto gun registration while they have our weapon out of our custody, which is explicitly forbidden by Indiana statute. I would love to hear other opinions on this subject by permit holders as well as LE personnel.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    :popcorn: You are about to be raked over the coals for many things....punctuation and spelling, concealed carry permit, paragraph structure, search function, us versus them, training, etc....

Not hatin' just sayin'.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    THISGONBGUD-1.gif

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Okay. This is sort of a quality post, although there may be 12,000 other threads on the subject.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Why is it when having an interaction with police while legally carrying your weapon they demand your gun even after you have shown them your concealed carry permit?

They don't. I had an interaction with a Sherriff in a public place on Friday night, and he never asked to inspect my firearm. Simply checked my license, called in to verify my license to carry, and let the management of the establishment carry on from there. Although I did politely correct the officer on a few incorrect laws he rattled off, I was never asked to disarm.

Guessing you had a bad experience.

I think you'll find that - despite all the LEO bashing that goes on here - the majority of interactions you'll have will be positive. It's just the negative ones that get published on the inter'webz. I'm of the mentality that, if you're a jerk to the officer, you'll get it right back. Respect will be reciprocated as well.

For all we know they are logging our guns make, model, and serial number building a de facto gun registration while they have our weapon out of our custody, which is explicitly forbidden by Indiana statute.

Wow, tin foil hat on straight? Please cite the statute to which you refer.

Last edited:

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I've never heard of an officer dismantling a gun. If it's illegal I'm sure they would drop the magazine or otherwise unload it to make it safe but to do otherwise would be asking for some serious liability issues. I can only imagine his supervisor getting a bill for some gunsmithing. I think there's more here than is being told.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Have been confronted by LO's at times both State, County & City. Have yet to have an Officer ask for my firearm after being informed that I was armed and showing my permit. Never had a problem at all. In fact there were times where the talk went into where I shot and what clubs I belonged to and who to see for membership and dues.

Course I'm a fat old 69 year old man and do not look like a pot heat, or meth user.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    OP, I am going to disagree with you. I have had 2 traffic stops (1 City, 1 ISP) since I started carrying and getting my LICENSE TO CARRY A HANDGUN (NOT CCW). Both times, they asked if there was a firearm, I said yes there is, they asked where (both times in the center console), they said ok, and went on with business. No boot on my throat, no bullets removed from my weapon. A simple, normal, routine traffic stop. By no means is this because I am a seasoned veteran in the game of Life (an older person), as Im 27... I just don't give LE a reason to be prick-ish. I don't know your particular situation, maybe you did, maybe you didn't, I can only speak for my own experiences.

I do know my town Marshal is VERY Pro-2A.. And I OC regularly on family walks and soforth, and he waves, smiles, and we both go on with our lives.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I don't thing unloading the weapon and then returning it with the cartridges from the chamber and the magazine and placed in a plastic bag qualifies as a "pile of parts", but that has been the scenario for me on 2 separate occasions.

The words "for my safety and yours" were uttered by the LEO on both occasions. I really don't feel safe carrying an unloaded firearm.

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    I have been stopped 4 times sense I got my LTCH and on all occasions save one the

officer has taken my handgun unloaded it while barrel sweeping me and my passengers. I

don't know about you but I think 3 out of 4 times is 3 times too many. All of the

officers were notified right away that I was carrying and that I have my LTCH

but only 1 did not take my firearm.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    :popcorn: You are about to be raked over the coals for many things....punctuation and spelling, concealed carry permit, paragraph structure, search function, us versus them, training, etc....

Not hatin' just sayin'.

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Personally, I've never disarmed a law-abiding citizen carrying a gun. I have checked permits, perhaps asked them where the weapon was located (if not readily observable). Probably the 'worst' I've ever done is simply to ask them to 'please leave it where it is'.

Why? Because in the holster (or whatever) is the safest place for it. I would certainly agree that disarming someone for nothing more than checking the validity of their LTCH OR CCW (it just might be an out of State license) is inherently far more dangerous to everyone concerned than just having them, and the LEO, leave it in it's place.

If it needs to be retrieved for some reason, there's contingency plans for that. Or should be.

I have, of course, disarmed someone subsequent to an arrest.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I once asked a cop if they know someone has a pink card when they run a plate check. He said "no". Not sure if that is still case but I asked him if I should offer it up. He said, "no" that ALL cops assume everyone has a gun. Only if suspicion or being a acting a jerk will they ask about a weapon in car or on person.

HandyAndy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Fort Wayne (SWAC)
    I once asked a cop if they know someone has a pink card when they run a plate check. He said "no". Not sure if that is still case but I asked him if I should offer it up. He said, "no" that ALL cops assume everyone has a gun. Only if suspicion or being a acting a jerk will they ask about a weapon in car or on person.

Every time we run a 27, dispatch informs if the person has a Firearms permit.

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    I got stopped in a city sobriety check and I had an ax plus a .22 rifle in the back, as well as a .25acp belly gun on me.

I just showed my LTCH and the officer looked in the back and laughed. He checked my license and sent me on the way.

One of the nices LEOs I've ever met. That was the extent of my recent run-ins with LE.

Top Bottom