Insulted by Pendleton, IN Chief of Police...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dracconix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Marc C. Farrer

chief.jpg

Myself, wife and my 4 year old daughter chose to go out tonight to enjoy ourselves at the June Jamboree (a small fair in town). As always I was carrying my Glock at my side, open carry at this time. We had been walking around the fair for at least 2 hours passing several officers (ISP, Madison Cty, and Pendleton) in the process, none of which said a word to me. We had just taken my daughter off of a ride when Mr. Farrer approached me and proceeded to tell me that I was carrying illegal and needed to untuck my shirt and cover my weapon. I informed him that Indiana is in fact an Open Carry / Conceal Carry permit and reached to pull mine out. At this time he asked to see it. To avoid a conflict I obliged and untucked my shirt. I then immediately called a friend of mine to confirm and checked with one of the Madison Cty Deputies, both of which confirmed the open carry law.

At this time I was pretty lit. We began walking around and I decided to find the "Officer" who I felt stepped on my rights. When I found him I approached him and told him that he was in fact incorrect about the law (which I already knew) and that if he kindly asked me to cover my weapon instead of feeding me a line of **** (yeah I said it) that I would have been more than happy to comply.

He got "pompous" and told me that I was on "his property" and that I needed to follow his rules. He then spoke about me wearing my "dick" on my hip. At this time I told him that if the world wasn't in the shape it was in I probably wouldn't even bother carrying.

Argh... am I in the wrong??? ... should I have just pulled my shirt down and shut up??? This is eating away at me like crazy... I am writing a letter to the town council, as well as the local State Rep...

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    His shirt looks 2 sizes too small. I wouldn't waste my time on him.

Or, I'd plot to seek revenge at least two years in the future. :) (JUST KIDDING!!)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you know you are not breaking the law, do not comply with his requests. He will continue to throw his weight around as long as people submit. He cannot rightfully arrest you for not breaking the law. I suppose if he had a dead bug up his butt he could make your evening turn out poorly, but in all likelihood he would back down once he saw that you knew the law, knew the citation for the law, and weren't going to jump through his fiery circus hoops just because you were on "his property." I might be inclined to ask him what the name on the deed is.

Any improper behavior on the behalf of the chief is news worthy and should not be swept under the rug. Talking to someone up the ladder may help. A local newspaper may not be a bad idea, unless this guy is big on retribution.

Good luck. Educate yourself so that next time you are accosted you are SURE you know what you are saying, and where the IC says that you are right. And don't back down.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Man it only takes a few to ruin the image of so many.

This just drives me absolutely nuts. I can not stand LEO's who erroneously THINK they know it all; and I can not stand even more the ones who KNOW better but choose to massage their "badge balls" hiding behind a piece of tin and a fancy button down shirt.

You can't enforce laws that you do not know. Officer "do-good" needs a few things.

• A new shirt, appropriately sized (speaking of wearing your "dick" as clothing - let's see those guns, chief douchebag!)
    • A "refresher" in dealing with the public
    • A new career; say standing behind the counter asking me if I'd like to "upsize that for .39 cents more"
    Of course I'm responding ONLY to the one-sided story; and every story has 2 sides.

But if what happened is exactly as described, I'd have not handled it better than you. It would have went south immediately after hearing a comment about wearing my dick on my hip.

So kudos to you for not writing this tomorrow after posting bond.

And why do I keep thinking CHiPS when I see his picture?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm the friend he called to check up on this. I was waiting on him to post his story and looking forward to getting all your reactions. I thought he handled it pretty good, prob even better than i would of, lol. Maybe we'll have to get together sometime and both open carry around Pendleton and see what happens.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Here is the info to contact the town council should you be so inclined to complain to the ones who hired him:

Council may be contacted at:
    100 West State St.
    P.O. Box 230
    Pendleton, IN 46064
    Phone: 765-778-2173

Donald E. Henderson
    Council President
    Jeanette Isbell
    Council Vice President
    Andrea Canaday
    Council Member

Bob Campbell
    Council Member
    Eddie Traylor
    Council Member

Interesting to note that he has "authority" over a population of around 3,100, and Pendleton houses more criminals (3,300) than average good citizens.

Maybe that's why he needs the tight shirt - so that everyone outside of the correctional facilities' walls will respect his authoritah!

south-park-you-will-respect-my-auth.jpg

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'm the friend he called to check up on this. I was waiting on him to post his story and looking forward to getting all your reactions. I thought he handled it pretty good, prob even better than i would of, lol. Maybe we'll have to get together sometime and both open carry around Pendleton and see what happens.

I'm game. Maybe Kirk would wanna go? :D

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    I realize this will not be a popular opinion, but I agree with the cop. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. Carry all the guns you want, but why do they need to be seen. It just seems that some people do this to get attention. I know I would not want to see guns on every hip and the fair.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Call him up at home, at 2:30 AM, and say, out of the blue, "I know you are, but what am I?"

This way, you get not only the satisfaction of waking him up, you get to confuse the heck out of him.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I realize this will not be a popular opinion, but I agree with the cop. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. Carry all the guns you want, but why do they need to be seen. It just seems that some people do this to get attention. I know I would not want to see guns on every hip and the fair.

So you support the government harrassing and intimidating citizens based not on the rule of law, but instead on the opinion of whatever government official you happen to be dealing with?

If you are ashamed of your guns, that's your business, and you are entitled to your opinion, but your distaste and disdain for freedom is the business of the rest of us, because then you are a threat to our freedom.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Please... PLEASE.. don't turn this into an OC/CC debate...

A citizen got boned tonight by a 5-member town council hired LEO with badge balls. He was then told he had a penis in a holster on his hip.

That is the issue. Not whether or not you want to see guns on hips.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I normaly CC myself just due to this sort of thing. But I do think it was total BS for that chief to treat him like that. When he told me on the phone what happened all I could think was wtf? You'd think for a chief he'd know his law better than that. I wonder what he'd say if me and dracconix both went down there sometime OC'ing. Me with possibly two on me, lol. I think that guy would blow his top, lol.

Top Bottom