• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    These came to me by way of some family, which is pretty awesome because I wanted to expand my revolver family a bit. :)

swrev.jpg

The blue is a .357 model 19-5 (mid 1970's) and the other is a .38 model 15-3 (early 80's). Dates according to the 3rd edition S&W Catalog. Both are in need of a very thorough cleaning and the .357 seems to be in perfect working order. The .38 though has an issue where on occasion pulling the trigger w/o first cocking it locks up about 1/8th of an inch into the pull, releasing and pulling again will tend to work after 2-3 tries. Most of the time though it's a clean pull. I'm pretty much a noob on these guns, any idea who around Fort Wayne might be able to investigate the issue for me?

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    These came to me by way of some family, which is pretty awesome because I wanted to expand my revolver family a bit. :)

swrev.jpg

The blue is a .357 model 19-5 (mid 1970's) and the other is a .38 model 15-3 (early 80's). Dates according to the 3rd edition S&W Catalog. Both are in need of a very thorough cleaning and the .357 seems to be in perfect working order. The .38 though has an issue where on occasion pulling the trigger w/o first cocking it locks up about 1/8th of an inch into the pull, releasing and pulling again will tend to work after 2-3 tries. Most of the time though it's a clean pull. I'm pretty much a noob on these guns, any idea who around Fort Wayne might be able to investigate the issue for me?

Jerry Johnson in Churubusco.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm a big S&W fan. Those are really nice revolvers to have. Getting yours repaired shouldn't be any problem. One option is to have your local gun dealer ship it off to S&W for repair. Legally, you can ship it, but will have to use Fedex or UPS. Your gun dealer can ship it via the U.S. Postal Service, which is substantially less expensive.

Last edited:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    What's the easiest way to find out the date of manufacture and model number. My dad has a S&W .32 L revolver that was his grandpa's and we would like to find out more about it.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Well from my understanding, which I happily admit may have some holes in it, you can be a bit more precise with the newer guns (1970+) than you can with the old ones just using the serial number, but the older ones can only be defined with any certainty down to a production era. So in other words serial can get you a nice ballpark. I've got the manual if you want to PM me the first part of your serial and the model and I'll be happy to look it up for you. If there's no model describe it as best you can (Double Action/Hammerless/etc..)

If you want an exact date, you can mail your serial number into:

Factory Historian Roy Jinks
    c/o Smith & Wesson
    PO Box 2208
    Springfield, MA 01102

Include a money order for $30 (per serial number requested) and your return information.

Last edited:

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I am a Smith fan, so nice addition. I had a problem like that with a M19-3 but S&W quickly took care of it for me and it has function properly ever since. Don't know who to take it to other wise.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The problematic one more than likely just needs a good cleaning.
    Issue possibly related to trigger rebound slide or cylinder stop.
    If they've sat for a long while, depending on what was used to lube the internals, something may have set up/shellacked and is impeding movement and or spring articulation.

A few yrs ago I got a M60 first gen that was dang near glued together due to long term storage with improper lube (think it was WD40). Took two hrs of solid work with Gunscrubber and other to clean it up.

Was perfect after that :)

Top Bottom