• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have an Aimpoint PRO, T1, and H1. At $500, I would keep my eyes open for a T1 or H1. To be honest, I would not pay more for a T1 over an H1, but either one can be found used if you watch.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    OP, of the ones you listed I'd personally go for either the Aimpoint Pro or Trijicon MRO (I don't know too much about the RX30 though). EOTech is having issues with point of impact shifts with temperature changes and recently said you need to re-zero your rifle each time it changed temperature 20 degrees. Some people haven't had issues, but enough have to steer me away from them. I have an Aimpoint ACO (slightly cheaper version of the Pro without the night vision settings) and have zero complaints. Aimpoints are known to be durable and mine has kept up with that reputation so far. Their micro red dots (T1/H1 T2/H2) are smaller and lighter but they sure do get expensive fast.

IMO Vortex are on a little bit more of a "budget" optic. A lot of people like them due to their lower prices, but if you're going to have any chance of "rough use" I'd be more inclined to stick with Aimpoint or Trijicon. If it's for more of a range toy/plinker then Vortex should be fine. I may or my not be justified in that opinion considering I have a Vortex Spitfire that hasn't ever given me issues, it just feels slightly lower on the build quality scale.

If at all possible though go see and play with some before buying. What I like may not be the same as what you like which is why there's so many choices out there.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    For $500, I would totally go with the MRO.

Curious as to why? I in the market for another RD. Have a T1 in a Larue mount on another one already but don't want to spend that kind of $$ again. What makes the MRO better than the Aimpoint Pro ? I've narrowed it down to those 2.

Bob

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    OP, of the ones you listed I'd personally go for either the Aimpoint Pro or Trijicon MRO (I don't know too much about the RX30 though). EOTech is having issues with point of impact shifts with temperature changes and recently said you need to re-zero your rifle each time it changed temperature 20 degrees. Some people haven't had issues, but enough have to steer me away from them. I have an Aimpoint ACO (slightly cheaper version of the Pro without the night vision settings) and have zero complaints. Aimpoints are known to be durable and mine has kept up with that reputation so far. Their micro red dots (T1/H1 T2/H2) are smaller and lighter but they sure do get expensive fast.

IMO Vortex are on a little bit more of a "budget" optic. A lot of people like them due to their lower prices, but if you're going to have any chance of "rough use" I'd be more inclined to stick with Aimpoint or Trijicon. If it's for more of a range toy/plinker then Vortex should be fine. I may or my not be justified in that opinion considering I have a Vortex Spitfire that hasn't ever given me issues, it just feels slightly lower on the build quality scale.

If at all possible though go see and play with some before buying. What I like may not be the same as what you like which is why there's so many choices out there.

I think what I initially liked about the Trijicon RX30 is the large size (42mm) for both eyes open shooting as well as the never ever needing batteries.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Curious as to why? I in the market for another RD. Have a T1 in a Larue mount on another one already but don't want to spend that kind of $$ again. What makes the MRO better than the Aimpoint Pro ? I've narrowed it down to those 2.

Bob

1. Size: The Trijicon is smaller than the Aimpoint Pro
    2. Warranty - Aimpoint 2 years (for competition or professional use). Trijicon is 5 years for all use.
    3. Controls - I prefer the controls on the MRO to the controls on the Aimpoint.
    4. Weight - Trijicon MRO is 4.1oz without mount. Aimpoint PRO is 7.8oz without the mount.
    5. Battery: the Aimpoint PRO battery is good for 30000 hours (about 3 and a half years). The Trijicon battery is good for 5 years. Yeah, I know, small point...

I think the MRO is a much better value. I have one and when my eotech refund gets here, I am buying 5 more to replace all of my eothechs.

I am really excited about the MRO - hence the reason why it is the featured product on my homepage!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    2. Warranty - Aimpoint 2 years (for competition or professional use). Trijicon is 5 years for all use.
    4. Weight - Trijicon MRO is 4.1oz without mount. Aimpoint PRO is 7.8oz without the mount.
    5. Battery: the Aimpoint PRO battery is good for 30000 hours (about 3 and a half years). The Trijicon battery is good for 5 years. Yeah, I know, small point...

I think the MRO is a much better value. I have one and when my eotech refund gets here, I am buying 5 more to replace all of my eothechs.

I am really excited about the MRO - hence the reason why it is the featured product on my homepage!

I have probably mentioned this before, I really want to like the MRO. The controls are great for a lefty, the size and FOV are good, it is a Trijicon. The issues of excessive blue tint, slight magnification, and weak battery contacts have kept me on the fence so far.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    A.R.M.S. makes a QD mount for those. I had one and it worked fine, ...... but it's from A.R.M.S, uggg. I guess beggers can't be choosers though. They also make a spacer that will make it a lower 1/3, which I personally preferred.

Yeah......I don't count those. Trijicon makes an adapter, the RX25 I believe, that takes a QD ACOG mount and adapts it for the RX line of reflex sights. I bought one, tried it, but sat too high for me, no type of cowitness at all cause the height. I had a machinist make me a smaller adapter for my GDI mount. Brought it down lower but still can't cowitness

That's Aimpoints stated warranty, I've seen then fix things that were way out of warranty before at no charge.

The one thing about the MRO......where the rheostat is located. Convenient yes but there's a reason why Aimpoint on the T2/H2 put the ramp protectors by the elevation controls. Micro dots tend to take a beating on the top of the optic.

That being said......I doubt I'd beat the hell out of a MRO like that so it would be fine and I'm still strongly considering one

nwinebrinner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I really like the RMR , but not a huge fan of it on a rifle. I think the other sights mentioned in this thread are better choices. YMMV.

Alright thank you, I was trying to kill 2 birds with one stone and get an rmr for my core and ar. But I'm sure I'd run into problems with the zero not staying true between the two.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Wasn't super stoked about the MRO. The ghosting really didn't look good to me.

I'd stick with Aimpoint.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I just bought an Aimpoint PRO a couple of days ago. One negative for me is that the dot just doesn't get very bright. It has a ton and a half of brightness settings but only about the top 3 or 4 are useful. I find I need to keep it one setting down from the brightest for daytime use. This is not an issue with my Eotech, but maybe that is why it eats up batteries.:): Other than that I find it to be a good, solid RDS. I plan on running it in an upcoming 2 day Mike Pannone carbine class. We will see how it does.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I just bought an Aimpoint PRO a couple of days ago. One negative for me is that the dot just doesn't get very bright. It has a ton and a half of brightness settings but only about the top 3 or 4 are useful. I find I need to keep it one setting down from the brightest for daytime use. This is not an issue with my Eotech, but maybe that is why it eats up batteries.:): Other than that I find it to be a good, solid RDS. I plan on running it in an upcoming 2 day Mike Pannone carbine class. We will see how it does.

My PRO is a year and a half old. I keep it burning all the time. Took the rifle out to the range and oops, it was not working. What a let down. Ordered new battery and wow what a difference it made. Maybe the battery that came with it was really old and drained.

Short part of the story is maybe grab a new battery and see what it looks like.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My PRO is a year and a half old. I keep it burning all the time. Took the rifle out to the range and oops, it was not working. What a let down. Ordered new battery and wow what a difference it made. Maybe the battery that came with it was really old and drained.

Short part of the story is maybe grab a new battery and see what it looks like.

Thanks. I will replace the battery with a fresh one. I don't expect much change as most people I know who have one say the same thing, they run it almost all the way up.

Top Bottom