• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've just been listening and playing with some handhelds, but is there a good source to find local frequencies? weather, etc?

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    These are the Central Indiana weather frequencies but they are used all over the country. I can’t remember which one is which county but I have them all set in my radio.
    There is an app called RepeaterBook that lists the repeaters in an area.
    WX [30]
    Channel
    Marine
    Channel
    Radio
    Preset
    162.400 MHzWX236B1
    162.425 MHzWX496B2
    162.450 MHzWX537B3
    162.475 MHzWX397B4
    162.500 MHzWX638B5
    162.525 MHzWX798B6
    162.550 MHzWX139B7

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've just been listening and playing with some handhelds, but is there a good source to find local frequencies? weather, etc?
    Repeaterbook is,a good source. Dude you need to get your technician license! I'm starting to study for the general license. I want to get that knocked out this summer.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I want to give a shout out to the fine gentlemen at the Brown County amateur radio club. I tested with them on May 25th, 2024. I passed the Amateur Extra exam and really appreciate their time and effort.
    Whoa! You passed the extra!? Well ****ing done! Congratulations!!! I took that test once a few years ago and it straight kicked my ass....I studied everyday for a month and got a 40% or somewhere close to it. That's a hard test. Enjoy!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Hey all y'all....if you're not doing Parks on the Air, you are missing a great opportunity to take your portable gear to the field, learn how to set it up, use it for making contacts, and tearing it all down.

I started POTA in June 2020. During the dreaded plandemic. When I first took my portable station to the field, I was confident it would work great. Lesson learned. Don't assume anything, prove everything, when it comes to your portable setups. On my second outing I had everything I needed...and what I needed was 30-40 minutes to deploy my antenna, setup power, setup radio, remembered how to use my automatic tuner...etc.

Now, I can put my portable station in a Harbor Freight Apache case, in its entirety, and hit the road. When I get to the park I can now be on the air in less than 10 minutes. Practice, test, prove, do it again.

Things that help...
    1. Try to go as small as you can and still have a well working station.
    2. I keep my collapsible hitch mounted vertical (Eagle One Antenna) in my SUV. It's always in there, that way I don't forget it.
    3. I have a 5 gallon plastic bucket with lid in my SUV, it has guy ropes, tent stakes, a end fed antenna, a dipole, my coax feedline, a set of clip on radials, and a first aid kit and a few other things I have found useful along the way.
    4. I have a 2 by 4 foot folding table, and a bag chair, in the SUV as well.
    So I am confident I can set up my station and start making contacts quickly, if there are trees available or not.

You can bring a whole raft of other things or maybe fewer things....the point I am making is, have your gear ready, tested, proven, and ready to grab and go should the need arise. Not to mention POTA is a world of fun.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Hey all y'all....if you're not doing Parks on the Air, you are missing a great opportunity to take your portable gear to the field, learn how to set it up, use it for making contacts, and tearing it all down.

I started POTA in June 2020. During the dreaded plandemic. When I first took my portable station to the field, I was confident it would work great. Lesson learned. Don't assume anything, prove everything, when it comes to your portable setups. On my second outing I had everything I needed...and what I needed was 30-40 minutes to deploy my antenna, setup power, setup radio, remembered how to use my automatic tuner...etc.

Now, I can put my portable station in a Harbor Freight Apache case, in its entirety, and hit the road. When I get to the park I can now be on the air in less than 10 minutes. Practice, test, prove, do it again.

Things that help...
    1. Try to go as small as you can and still have a well working station.
    2. I keep my collapsible hitch mounted vertical (Eagle One Antenna) in my SUV. It's always in there, that way I don't forget it.
    3. I have a 5 gallon plastic bucket with lid in my SUV, it has guy ropes, tent stakes, a end fed antenna, a dipole, my coax feedline, a set of clip on radials, and a first aid kit and a few other things I have found useful along the way.
    4. I have a 2 by 4 foot folding table, and a bag chair, in the SUV as well.
    So I am confident I can set up my station and start making contacts quickly, if there are trees available or not.

You can bring a whole raft of other things or maybe fewer things....the point I am making is, have your gear ready, tested, proven, and ready to grab and go should the need arise. Not to mention POTA is a world of fun.
    This is on my list for this summer as soon as I get a break. I need to build me a POTA antenna and test it here at home and work out setup and the gear needed. I most likely have everything I need but you don’t know until you try it out. I’ve been doing a bit of pota hunting last couple weeks when I have a few minutes to play.

Matt

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    This is on my list for this summer as soon as I get a break. I need to build me a POTA antenna and test it here at home and work out setup and the gear needed. I most likely have everything I need but you don’t know until you try it out. I’ve been doing a bit of pota hunting last couple weeks when I have a few minutes to play.

Matt
    Matt,

I started with dipoles, and end feds. In some park locations we are not supposed to attach anything to trees. So I have gone to the hitch mounted vertical (10m in height) called Eagle One Vertical. My radio is a Elecraft KX-2 - capable of 10-12 watts of SSB, CW, PSK31...can do FT8 with an external computer....I don't lug a computer so I don't do much digital work. I also have a small antenna from Elecraft called the AX-1...it attaches to the KX-2 and is a loaded coil with telescoping whip. The KX-2 runs off internal lithium battery pack, so I have one in the radio, and two fully charged spares. I have run CW POTA ops for 7 hours and the one battery was more than enough.

Low power rigs are smaller. High powered rigs are bigger, and usually require external power.....batteries, generator, more stuff to carry ...more stuff to forget.

I have worked Europe, South America, Central America, all over the Caribbean, and into Alaska....with that AX1 antenna, 10 watts, and sitting in southern Indiana on a hill.

The major thing about portable radio success, is the antenna. You want to try to have the best antenna you can muster. My verticals are NOT the best...but they do seem to get the job done. I have almost 1000 contacts, mainly US.

Good luck and have fun!

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Been lurking here for a long time, and found these at a garage sale with chargers, extra batteries and some other accessories. Paid 70 buck and they all seem to work. Just wondering how I did.

Attachments

• IMG_20240628_182211538.jpg
      IMG_20240628_182211538.jpg
      847.3 KB · Views: 15

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was wondering. Now I have to get a Ham license and learn how to use them. I have heard that Youtube can be your best friend for this.
    This guy's books are great. he goes through question by question telling you not only what the correct answer, but explains WHY it is. (and why the others are not)

If you want to see examples, read a sample from the kindle version. the paperback sample is crap and is just the foreword and other fluff. It runs out of free pages before it gets to the questions. :facepalm:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Been lurking here for a long time, and found these at a garage sale with chargers, extra batteries and some other accessories. Paid 70 buck and they all seem to work. Just wondering how I did.
    Yup. You got a bunch of them.

Not a fan of cheap Chinese radios...but at least you have plenty of spares.

Top Bottom