INGO electricians, this is the proper way to wire outdoor lighting yes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    uc

uc
    uc

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Looks good. Nice job. Should have probably used the brown extension cord everywhere. Then they match the trees better.

The tape may be overkill though.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I believe it was THWN, I looked but didn't commit it to memory. In case anyone is wondering, this lovely job was found at the Indy Zoo.

There are at least a couple of INGO members that work at the Indy Zoo......Wonder if this was their handywork???

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That install looks like a lot of wiring in Indiana. I was licensed in Cook County, IL, and licensed by the City of Chicago. EVERYTHING goes in metallic conduit. Even if it is installed in pipe, the job can get red tagged for sloppy, "unworkman like" installations. No plastic boxes, no romex, etc. It was a big shock for me to see new construction wired with romex, and plastic boxes. I have opened boxes in commercial business in Indiana where there are 5 hot circuits all tied to a single 12 gauge neutral. I have seen 2 conducter romex wired to a grounded recepticle where the there was a jumper between the ground screw and the neutral so it would fool the inspectors little plug in tester. Things like that scare me.

No wonder every time a building burns they say it was an electrical fire.

True Story, when the Feds wanted to develop the National Electric Code, Chicago already had one. They said it was too strict and caused too much expense.

drylkuch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2016
    West Lafayette
    That install looks like a lot of wiring in Indiana. I was licensed in Cook County, IL, and licensed by the City of Chicago. EVERYTHING goes in metallic conduit. Even if it is installed in pipe, the job can get red tagged for sloppy, "unworkman like" installations. No plastic boxes, no romex, etc. It was a big shock for me to see new construction wired with romex, and plastic boxes. I have opened boxes in commercial business in Indiana where there are 5 hot circuits all tied to a single 12 gauge neutral. I have seen 2 conducter romex wired to a grounded recepticle where the there was a jumper between the ground screw and the neutral so it would fool the inspectors little plug in tester. Things like that scare me.

True Story, when the Feds wanted to develop the National Electric Code, Chicago already had one. They said it was too strict and caused too much expense.

There isn't anything wrong with romex and plastic boxes when it's done right. Honestly I prefer PVC boxes over metal ones because they aren't conductive and never have sharp edges.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    There isn't anything wrong with romex and plastic boxes when it's done right. Honestly I prefer PVC boxes over metal ones because they aren't conductive and never have sharp edges.

:ugh:

There just isn't enough time tonight for this one. We fought against romex and plastic boxes for years, in the end the builders won out.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Electrical codes can't compensate for gross incompetence.

Your two issues: Chicago's codes (that serve to empower unions) and poor electrical installations are non sequitur.

I'd like to see evidence that Chicago's draconian laws prevent more electrical fires from occurring. It should be relatively easy to show a statically significant reduction in fires over the last decade when compared to other cities.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Never saw a rodent that ate through metallic conduit, I have seen chewed romex.

Loose codes lower minimum standards. Stricter codes have to pass stricter inspections. That is why we appreciate a top grade pistol over a hi point.

Top Bottom