Osceola
    1337261984_1.jpg

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    People can charge whatever they please for their goods. My bottom line is, if you want to move it, make it reasonable. Period. You don't have to sell for what people want and people don't have to pay what you expect.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    The more detailed the description, the Higher the Price..........

I disagree. I have my latest build posted for less than a new M&P 15. And I can assure you, S&W can't cobble AR's like I can. But it's a build, and so it requires a lengthy description to inform a potential buyer what it is exactly they are getting. And I understand that it being "frankenjiggered," there's no way i'm going to get my money back out of it. I enjoyed the build for what it was and will take a hit on the re-sale to help fund the next one.

I get that it's all about investing now. Prices are way down, market flooded, and everyone is concerned with big brand rollmarks. To me, that says "I want to buy cheap now, so I can grease people later in the next scare." That's just not my bag, but I don't sweat it. If my monster sells, it sells. If not, i'll just add it to the collection. They're tangible assets. They'll always be worth something. That watermarked, holographic TP everyone is so rabid for? Not so much...

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I hate to haggle. Period. I am in sales and people try to haggle with me all the time.

If the price is right, I buy it. If not, I move on. Period. Those that set a higher price knowing that people will haggle are going to lose my business, and I if I have something to sell, the price is the price. Buy it, or not. No haggling or negotiating.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hate to haggle. Period. I am in sales and people try to haggle with me all the time.

If the price is right, I buy it. If not, I move on. Period. Those that set a higher price knowing that people will haggle are going to lose my business, and I if I have something to sell, the price is the price. Buy it, or not. No haggling or negotiating.

I'm in sales also and I get this. We have to deal with it all the time. I will haggle once, maybe twice but I tend to be like you.

I determine what something is worth to me whether selling or buying and will sell or pay according to that.

If the "worth" I put on something is outside of current market conditions, I am okay to keep it. Obviously the item is more valuable for me to keep than the dollars someone is willing to give.

Selling is kinda easy as long as you don't need the money. If you are in jam financially, then cash may become more valuable. That changes things. Makes it hard to have to sell at a potential loss because you have bigger issues looming overhead.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

AMEN.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I disagree. I have my latest build posted for less than a new M&P 15. And I can assure you, S&W can't cobble AR's like I can.

In fairness, no one is going to say "I do a worse job than the factory". You may do great work, but how do I know, especially if I'm not a builder myself? If you're build poops the bed, the buyer is out of luck. If new S&W poops the bed, warranty will take care of it. I can get a new M&P cheaper than even your new price, and a new Colt for not much more.

Personally, I'm never in the market for a home build or to build one myself. Having a factory stock weapon just eliminates an entire line of questioning in a civil suit/depos for wrongful death, etc. I'm not looking to flip the gun later, I just know the aftermath of a shooting.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I don't mind to haggle. Especially after two years in the ME, where it's perfectly normal to haggle over the price of piece of bread. When I was a neophyte, I tried to pay asking price for some clothes and the guy haggled with himself for me. It was part of the sales process, not haggling was rude. Almost like offering someone charity who didn't need or ask for it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think folks misunderstand the haggling thing. With the possible exception of some of our low forum participation pro-traders in the classifieds, most folks list the price they'd like to get. Later, if the item doesn't readily sell, they'll haggle.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think folks misunderstand the haggling thing. With the possible exception of some of our low forum participation pro-traders in the classifieds, most folks list the price they'd like to get. Later, if the item doesn't readily sell, they'll haggle.

Do you mean people misunderstand whether or not a seller is willing to haggle, or that people don't understand the concept of haggling?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do you mean people misunderstand whether or not a seller is willing to haggle, or that people don't understand the concept of haggling?

When I deal with folks I will give them my cell. Some continue to haggle Via PM's. What a pain. Call me man. Ask me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

If the seller does not list their price with a written "firm," then they are willing to haggle.
    The circumstances depend on how much the seller will haggle. Sometimes it's not a dollar figure. IE, drive distance, paid shipping, trade item, hold the item SPF for a time, etc.

The idea that sellers intentionally overprice to compensate for haggling may have some small bit of validity. That very small % of sellers are often easily identified through checking their posting history. If it's all business, then that could be an indicator. :dunno: Less skin in the game than those who are active forum participants. YMMV

Top Bottom