• Status
    Not open for further replies.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Thinking one of my three blades from Mike Stevenson might just be the right one for this competition...

main.php

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Everyone that plans to compete in this years chopping competition, I sure hope you have your knives sharp!

[video=youtube_share;1l8egRyEaoQ]http://youtu.be/1l8egRyEaoQ[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've never sharpened for chopping, much less chopping and subsequent cutting/slicing. I'm assuming a polished edge works well for chopping since you're really push cutting with a lot of force, but then I don't want something that's just going to slide over fibrous materials when slicing. This is probably less of an issue for non-stainless blades.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    rhino, a slightly toothy edge is probably best. We will have the same setup as last year, so you'll be cutting foam pipe insulation, manila rope, and water bottles that will be easier I think with a toothy edge.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    rhino, a slightly toothy edge is probably best. We will have the same setup as last year, so you'll be cutting foam pipe insulation, manila rope, and water bottles that will be easier I think with a toothy edge.

That's what I needed to know!

As it is, it just followed the original bevel on my Junglas with a fairly coarse diamond to rough it up a little, then a finer diamond to refine it. It won't pop hair, but it slices newsprint pretty well. I'm not going to mess with the edge geometry because I'm out of my wheelhouse with respect to this application.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom