Not open for further replies.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    What about a piston driven AR pattern gun? I would like to see one of those.

SR-556 is a Piston driven AR, so if one of those show up you'll be able to see one. I think LWRC, Ruger, LMT, POF, and Para-Ordnance all have Piston driven ARs. I'm sure I missed a company, but those are the ones I know of

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What's different? I've only seen their Ads and sounded like a piston gun, I'm not familiar with the specifics

The Para TTR (Tactical Target Rifle) is a repackaging of the Z-M Weapons LR-300 design that has been around for many years. Para calls the operation a "delayed impingement gas system" (DIGS), which Wikipedia describes thusly:

The LR 300 however uses an adapted version of the AR-15's standard direct impingement gas operating system which removes the need for a receiver extension.

The gas key is extended beyond its normal length to form an operation rod, such as an M14 or AK47, extending into the top of the forward handguard. The gas key contains the return spring which is fixed between the front of the receiver and the collar at the front of the gas key. The gas tube runs backwards from the gas block in the front sight base and enters the gas key. In this way when the firearm fires at least some of the combustion gases from inside the gas tube are vented into the handguard area rather than the receiver. This means the standard buffer assembly is not required at the rear of the weapon, allowing a folding stock to be fitted to reduce the overall length of the weapon, and reduces gas fouling in the receiver.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The Para TTR (Tactical Target Rifle) is a repackaging of the Z-M Weapons LR-300 design that has been around for many years. Para calls the operation a "delayed impingement gas system" (DIGS), which Wikipedia describes thusly:

The LR 300 however uses an adapted version of the AR-15's standard direct impingement gas operating system which removes the need for a receiver extension.

The gas key is extended beyond its normal length to form an operation rod, such as an M14 or AK47, extending into the top of the forward handguard. The gas key contains the return spring which is fixed between the front of the receiver and the collar at the front of the gas key. The gas tube runs backwards from the gas block in the front sight base and enters the gas key. In this way when the firearm fires at least some of the combustion gases from inside the gas tube are vented into the handguard area rather than the receiver. This means the standard buffer assembly is not required at the rear of the weapon, allowing a folding stock to be fitted to reduce the overall length of the weapon, and reduces gas fouling in the receiver.

That would be good in the winter time. Should warm your hands a little faster... :): That would really be interesting to see. I'll try to make it out to crash the party, but who knows. :D

300sx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    ss of indy
    ill be attending. NOOB here! i am kinda in the middle of my first AR build so this will help me..i want to buy my yhm upper this week and bring the gun, but i kinda want to wait until i attend this...the piston uppers got me wondering:dunno::n00b:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'd like to attend. I don't know much at all about AR-15s, so I'd like to learn more about them. I invited my dad and brother, but don't know if they'll be coming yet.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    great idea

Bring 'em still. I'm sure there will be guys there who have never seen them before and could benefit from understanding how they work.
    I'm one that would like to see the tools.
    Count in one more noob, I will bring my colt hbar 5.56. It is a tack driver.
    It's nothing special so it will stay in the car until requested. see profile for pics. I am looking forward to an educational event.:rockwoot:

should someone put this event on the "calender" of the website.

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    No Ammo In CCWs?

Quick question; does the "no live ammo" rule apply to just the AR-15s, or also to daily carry firearms as well?

Was this question answered explicitly? I didn't see one, but I might've just missed it. And I'd rather be the fool who asks it again online rather than the fool who brings in a loaded CCW when that was clearly not supposed to happen!

It looks like I'll be coming alone. Dad isn't interested and my brother is going to Florida that week! Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to learning about the weapon.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You'll have to get with VUPDblue for a solid answer, but as I recall, the club itself has a rule against loaded guns anywhere but the firing line.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I am planning on attending weather permitting. I only have one AR, a lightly moded CMMG. I am trying to get a couple of my buddies who are interested to attend also. Very interested in learning about building the next one I get.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Safety Rules

NO LIVE AMMO IS ALLOWED IN THE CLUBHOUSE. This is a non-shooting event. Please do not bring any live ammunition into the clubhouse. We also ask that all rifles be placed on the tables with their bolts locked to the rear. Every attendee is responsible for visually verifying the condition of each rifle they handle-- every. single. time. As always, the 4 rules of gun safety will be strictly enforced. Again, do not bring live ammo into the clubhouse.​

Given that all it takes is a stiff breeze to make some AR bolts go forward, it might be a good idea to use chamber flags. They'll make it easy to see for sure that a yellow or orange piece of plastic is stuck in the chamber, so no round can be in there.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    This sounds great! I've got one I've built that is basic, but cool, and my R15 for the hunter table. It is a great hog or coyote blaster. Hopefully, I'll have my new 6.8 upper, and can put together my ultimate hog blaster before the event.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom