• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    When Saddam rolled into Kuwait and Desert Shield kicked off, Saddam made some noises about Turkey if it the helped the US, and therefore the Turks made noises about NATO Article 5, collective defense.* NATO was suddenly faced with the possibility of really going to war,** and against someone besides the Russkies.

The NATO E-3A Component, flying the AWACS planes, suddenly had to up its game a bit. Part of the fallout from this was the thought that each aircrew member might need to be armed. 17 members to each combat crew, 33 crews, thats quite a few handguns.

The Germans donated a bunch of P-1s to the cause. I got to see a container of them opened up, probably about 30 or so? Upright in slots, two rows of them I think. Was pretty awesome to see (remember, I was in the Air Force, we didn’t get to play with small arms very often). I had to take a cold shower when I got home.

I would like to have one or two or a dozen, but I don’t think I’m gonna shell out the bucks, Because then I’ll have to get a bunch of extra magazines, and then holsters and then on and on and on ….

* Officially The first time Article 5 of the NATO treaty was invoked was after 9/11, but unofficially I think the Turks pointed at it pretty heavily.

** After the Warsaw Pact threw in the towel, I don’t think NATO expected to see much action. The first Gulf War was kind of a rude surprise. NATO was not officially a belligerent, but that could have changed very fast.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Here is a video from Atlantic Firearms showing them. He states that they are "surplus German sidearms", unfortunately, that isn't really clear whether he is referring to where they were imported from or where they were originally made.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don’t know if this helps or not but someone on the HK forum was commenting on some P8a1s that the Bundeswehr was changing handguns and mentionEd that some of them still carried the old P38s still.

Top Bottom