• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just drive past that huge solar layout they are doing. Has anyone seen cost estimates on it or theoretical ROI? Who is funding that?

First paragraph on why they are doing it. I see no cost-savings considerations :(

All partners involved in this solar farm project are committed to increasing the city’s sustainability while helping grow and diversify renewable sources of electricity to power the growth and development of Indianapolis. The renewable energy generated by the IAA solar farm will prevent approximately 12,000 tons of carbon dioxide from being released into the environment each year—the equivalent of removing approximately 2,500 cars from the roads of central Indiana.

http://indsolarfarm.com/the-solar-farm/

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I would dispute the environmental benefits. If we want to do better, go nuclear

http://www.indianadg.net/jms-sells-...nese-company-why-are-other-projects-for-sale/

Did we sell it to China???

If it cost $40 million, that is $533,000 per acre. Estimated to power 1800 homes. Let's say $200/mo utility cost. That means each acre generates 57,600 per year.so it has a 9-year break even if zero cost overruns and it produces what they estimate and there are zero maintenance fees. Lovely.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    You really don't have to worry about trivia like ROI when dealing with taxpayer dollars. It looks like the ROI period might very well exceed the useful life of the array.

Again, it is taxpayer dollars so it doesn't matter if it is a good financial bargain. Oh yes, it is also "green" so the intrinsic benefits are so great that they outweigh the financial issues anyway.

Clean air my butt, it is a "clean wallet" solution. Taxpayers don't need all those dollars cluttering up their wallet.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/07/the_real_cost_of_solar_energy.html

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I've never seen a solar array or a wind farm render parts of the earth uninhabitable for years.

Yeah? Go pitch a tent under this one then and plug into your perpetual motion generator.

Wind and solar grids require 100% fossil fuel backup sources. In order to get compliant with "green" energy requirements in England they are having to build tons of natural gas fired plants. Love it.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would dispute the environmental benefits. If we want to do better, go nuclear

JMS Sells Indianapolis Airport Solar Farm Project to Chinese Company; Why? Are other projects for sale? | IndianaDG

Did we sell it to China???

If it cost $40 million, that is $533,000 per acre. Estimated to power 1800 homes. Let's say $200/mo utility cost. That means each acre generates 57,600 per year.so it has a 9-year break even if zero cost overruns and it produces what they estimate and there are zero maintenance fees. Lovely.

Figure in failure and maintenance costs per acre after 2 to 4 years and your head will spin.
    The wind farm on North 65 is a good example. On a windy day when they should be cranking out "Green" energy fully 1/4 of the turbines are static due to failure and budget for maintenance.
    This is a totally loosing investment.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've never seen a solar array or a wind farm render parts of the earth uninhabitable for years.

Then you've never seen the open-pit mines for the materials.

bauxite-mine.jpg

Solar panels require Gallium (sourced from Bauxite, the raw material for Aluminum) and Indium (sourced from Zinc and Lead concentrates). Both are primarily pulled from large open pits, and the extraction process isn't exactly clean. Thank goodness most of this happens in less-developed nations, so we don't have to look at it. (purple if necessary).

Luckily, we are doing a slightly better job at reclaiming the metals from existing electronics. Though, we have a long, long way to go. It is still cheaper to get it raw.

I'm another proponent of small, local nuclear reactors. We have the technology to make them quite safe, and even greatly reduce the waste. Unfortunately, the EPA and a couple international treaties outlaw the cleaner/safer technologies.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Considering Indiana's air quality, I think this is a great idea.

Oh, and we're not saving the earth. We're saving ourselves, the earth will be just fine.

And what, pray tell, is wrong with Indiana's air quality? Be specific. Pay attention to sources. Know which metrics are being used.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Then you've never seen the open-pit mines for the materials.

bauxite-mine.jpg

Solar panels require Gallium (sourced from Bauxite, the raw material for Aluminum) and Indium (sourced from Zinc and Lead concentrates). Both are primarily pulled from large open pits, and the extraction process isn't exactly clean. Thank goodness most of this happens in less-developed nations, so we don't have to look at it. (purple if necessary).

Luckily, we are doing a slightly better job at reclaiming the metals from existing electronics. Though, we have a long, long way to go. It is still cheaper to get it raw.

I'm another proponent of small, local nuclear reactors. We have the technology to make them quite safe, and even greatly reduce the waste. Unfortunately, the EPA and a couple international treaties outlaw the cleaner/safer technologies.

:laugh: this is exactly what I think of every time I see a prius. This and a coal-fired powerplant ;)

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Sounds interesting.
    The best thing to do is learn more.
    No, I don't like paying extra for utilities, IF that is what will happen.
    Yes, I like solar, wind, and biomass projects. And I always will.

Do you enjoy building 100% fossil fuel backups for your wind and solar facilities? Build something twice so you can get more expensive power. Truly a liberal environmentalist's dream

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    I agree with Classic. Another green energy, taxpayer funded boondoggle. No need for worry about ROI, we are "saving the planet"

The field lays just north of centerline for landing rwy 5R. I wonder if there will be any reflection issues in the middle of the day.

Top Bottom