• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    It'll pay for itself eventually, there's no rush. Besides, every solar installation is energy we don't have to buy from Arabia.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Do you enjoy building 100% fossil fuel backups for your wind and solar facilities? Build something twice so you can get more expensive power. Truly a liberal environmentalist's dream

Less dependence on foreign oil? Yeah I like that.
    Diversify our energy? Yeah I like that.
    Will the cost go down? It has.

I also like CNG. And the US has a lot of that.
    Compressed natural gas/normal fuel hybrid car conversion = $1000.
    [www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYP2ZRwq9EE] Enjoy!

Biofuel from waste and sewage? In the works:
    Biofuel from Sewage | MIT Technology Review

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How on earth does this solar array make us less dependent on foreign oil? Diverse energy: then why solar? Go nuclear. The cost going down for a more expensive alternative still means it doesn't make sense.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We need to go thorium, which would slash costs so far that solar and wind would once again become niche products, but it would free up the capital required for the labs to make them truly competitive in the future. Any power generation that a thorium power plant doesn't have to do is saved thorium fuel, longer life to the plant as a whole, and increased safety margins. As such, I would like to see a thorium/RE alliance that allows thorium plants to operate at 50% of capacity because the other 50% is made up of mostly (25%+ REs) and the rest traditional fossil fuel generation for diversity and safety. If the entire rest of the nation's power generation capacity failed, the thorium plants could immediately (within minutes) be ramped up to provide 100% of the nation's electricity needs.

This is, of course, all contingent on the economics of thorium extraction and thorium power plant production and maintenance vs the economics of rare earths extraction, refining, and solar panel production, installation, and maintenance. I honestly think thorium could render all REsl obsolete for the foreseeable remainder of the 3rd millennium.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Considering Indiana's air quality, I think this is a great idea.

Oh, and we're not saving the earth. We're saving ourselves, the earth will be just fine.

And what, pray tell, is wrong with Indiana's air quality? Be specific. Pay attention to sources. Know which metrics are being used.

I am going to have to go with Mad Macs on this one. After moving to the Indianapolis area, the air quality was bad enough it took me 3 years of acclimating to quit having spontaneous fits of dry heaves in addition to general breathing problems I did not have anywhere else in the state.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Funny, I noticed that solar array in Indy flying in this morning and I was immediately curious as to why it was there and who paid for it.

Top Bottom